Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Cthulu Real ?

Simbi Laveau

Ok,just passing on a link .Don't shoot the messenger .

http://www.mandatory.com/2012/08/07/2012/06/04/is-there-a-giant-monster-in-the-pacific-ocean/#photo=1

This article puts forth that Lovecraft actually predicted an animal of unimaginable size ,in our ocean .

They cite the bloop et al .

It's just kind of interesting.

Giant creature? Quite probably. A sleeping Great Old One with a squid for a face and a global cult? I kind of doubt it. Quite frankly, the world's oceans could probably hide an entire civilization in their depths, with how little we know about them. We've barely scratched the surface of what lives in the deep sea, and half the species we do recognize are only known from one or two specimens.

Giant creature? Quite probably. A sleeping Great Old One with a squid for a face and a global cult? I kind of doubt it. Quite frankly, the world's oceans could probably hide an entire civilization in their depths, with how little we know about them. We've barely scratched the surface of what lives in the deep sea, and half the species we do recognize are only known from one or two specimens.

An unbeliever now. when Great CTHULHU RISES FROM THE DEPTHS TO USHER IN THE NEW AGE YOU WILL ALL......wait. What? sorry about that forgot my pills.

• Like 1

And the creators of South Park predicted the existence of a half man, half bear and half pig creature.

• Like 1

I used to think it was all just excellent weird fiction, but the more I visit coastal towns the more I'm seeing the Innsmouth Look... :unsure2:

Funnily enough there are only a couple hundred miles difference between the grid refs of the "Bloop" and Rl'yeh if I recall. However, it's all just fiction. Nobody actually cared about Lovecraft when he was alive apart form his peers, it was only after his death that August Derleth pushed to promote his work, and it kind of ran away from there- probably with some very clever, slightly suggestive, marketing strategies that made things like the cults, the Necronomicon and Cultes De Goules etc sound like they might actually be real. Then of course with the RPG in the 80s, very lifelike props in the forms of newspaper clippings were created fo ultra-real authenticity, and I suppose fact and fiction began to blur a wee bit.

I'll say "yes" , just because I want there to be. :tsu: And all kinds of other weird stuff in the depths too. :yes:

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

Short answer: No.

Long answer: Nooooooooooooooope.

But to actually contribute to the thread, lol, it is an interesting idea. Makes me think of the Cloverfield monster.

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 2

I hope so. Interestingly enough, a giant eyeball washed up on the beach in South Florida this morning...

• Like 1

I used to think it was all just excellent weird fiction, but the more I visit coastal towns the more I'm seeing the Innsmouth Look... :unsure2:

Funnily enough there are only a couple hundred miles difference between the grid refs of the "Bloop" and Rl'yeh if I recall. However, it's all just fiction. Nobody actually cared about Lovecraft when he was alive apart form his peers, it was only after his death that August Derleth pushed to promote his work, and it kind of ran away from there- probably with some very clever, slightly suggestive, marketing strategies that made things like the cults, the Necronomicon and Cultes De Goules etc sound like they might actually be real. Then of course with the RPG in the 80s, very lifelike props in the forms of newspaper clippings were created fo ultra-real authenticity, and I suppose fact and fiction began to blur a wee bit.

Lovecraft gave a location of 47° 9′0″ S, 126° 43′0″ W for R'lyeh, and the Bloop was figured to be around 50° 0′0″ S, 100° 0′0″ W. I believe the straight line distance is about 1200 miles or so.

And the creators of South Park predicted the existence of a half man, half bear and half pig creature.

Hey don't joke man/bear/pig is real and he will rip your face off. Al gore even says so and he created the internet and we all know if it is on the internet it's true. Now cthulu? No it isn't real thats just a book :)

I hope so. Interestingly enough, a giant eyeball washed up on the beach in South Florida this morning...

flat,550x550,075,f.jpgvt50774f9b.jpg I believe it looks quite similar to the eye of a swordfish

• Like 1

The "Julia" sound is interesting. I've never heard of it before. Almost sounds like something that's in pain...

All I can think of everytime I hear about the bloop is a couple whales at the bottom of the ocean farting on a microphone and having a good laugh over it. One of the most entertaining aspects of cryptozoology that unknown automatically equals "let your imagination run wild." I'd personally find it to be quite thrilling if The Bloop was actually evidence of some living creature. However its not. It could be. But we don't know and rampant wild speculation gets us nowhere.

I'd like to offer the somewhat more boring and logical argument that if there is a large creature making bloops it would stand to reason that there are probably more than just one. While we don't know everything about the ocean floor, we do know some things and quite a bit of the ocean floor has been mapped. Submarines have been tooling around down there for a good long while...using sonar and underwater microphones. They hear whales with regularity. How come they don't hear more of these giant bloopy creatures? What does a giant Cthulu eat? They would have to be having some impact on their environment - particularly if they are gigantic. When these questions pop up and can't be answered it just leads me to believe that the Bloop and the other noises that have been recorded are more likely evidence of the continuing geologic processes that shape the seafloor.

Animals, from the biggest to the smallest tend to do animal things.....eat, breathe, die, breed, congregate or not...and eventually some of these behaviors become observable. For a giant animal to exist and leave no evidence besides a loud noise seems highly unlikely.

Lovecraft gave a location of 47° 9′0″ S, 126° 43′0″ W for R'lyeh, and the Bloop was figured to be around 50° 0′0″ S, 100° 0′0″ W. I believe the straight line distance is about 1200 miles or so.

Ah well. Still closer than one being in the Pacific and the other in the Atlantic :P

Cthulhu? Real? No. I really, really, reeeaalllyyy doubt a giant god in an underwater city, sleeping until the stars align and then rising to eat all of human civilization exists.

However, I think undiscovered large animals in the ocean is definitely a possibility.

after playing call of cthulu .. i don't want him to be real :D ..

regardless in oceans there's many undiscovered creatures they may name one cthulu yep if you're lucky

but i doubt it'll meet the version of mythical one hehehe

Iv never heard the julia bleep before either, and I mean they said its not whales or volcanic activity. Would it really be so horrible to discover a new creature in the ocean I mean if thats what it is of course...Do I believe its Cuthulu No, but its always fun to imagine :tu: :tu: :yes: :yes:

• Like 1

If Cthulu was real, that would open up the door to a lot of other stuff... aliens, gods, other physical dimensions, strange energys, magic.... Stuff that generally is not accepted as real. So, unless Cthulu is based on a globster octopus, I'm going to also say No.

If Cthulhu is real, that means Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, and Nyarlathotep are real. (And a bunch of others I can't remember)

And that means we have a bunch of great gods living in the outer space in a dimension beyond human existence and comprehension.

And that's just terrifying.

If Cthulhu is real, that means Yog-Sothoth, Azathoth, and Nyarlathotep are real. (And a bunch of others I can't remember)

And that means we have a bunch of great gods living in the outer space in a dimension beyond human existence and comprehension.

And that's just terrifying.

• Azathoth
  • Bokrug
  • Cthulhu
  • Ghatanothoa
  • Hypnos
  • Nodens
  • Nyarlathotep
  • Rhan-Tegoth
  • Shub-Niggurath
  • Tulzscha
  • Yig
  • Yog-Sothoth

Not including others written about by other authors.

Nodens wouldn't be so bad, Yog-Sothoth and Nyarlathotep are just trouble.

Edited by Insanity

I think people are taking this too literally. The OP and the link posted never talk about the literary Cthulu being an actual entity. The question presented, and at hand is: Are there enormous beasts lurking in the depths that we might not be aware of and are larger than any currently known animals?