Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Is Cthulu Real ?

Simbi Laveau

I think people are taking this too literally. The OP and the link posted never talk about the literary Cthulu being an actual entity. The question presented, and at hand is: Are there enormous beasts lurking in the depths that we might not be aware of and are larger than any currently known animals?

It certainly is possible, though it doesn't seem very likely. The food chain would have to support these creatures somehow - what do they eat? Many oceanic giants feed on small animals like krill, which are abundant, yet exist only at the shallower depths. An enormous creature feeding in the shallows would have been documented by now.

And again for creatures like this to exist, they'd have to breed which means a population of at least a certain level to maintain genetic diversity. The more there are, the more evidence of them there should be. There should be Bloop noises happening all the time if those noises are evidence of these creatures.

I'll never rule out the possibility of something like this existing, but when you look at all the things that real live animals do, it seems very unlikely that a group of giant ones would be able to do all those things - even in the ocean - and remain undetected indefinitely, which they have done thus far.

I think people are taking this too literally. The OP and the link posted never talk about the literary Cthulu being an actual entity. The question presented, and at hand is: Are there enormous beasts lurking in the depths that we might not be aware of and are larger than any currently known animals?

Oh. My bad. Hahaha :w00t:

Hm...I think there would be a slim possibility. It's not likely, but it could still happen.

Ok,just passing on a link .Don't shoot the messenger .

http://www.mandatory...-ocean/#photo=1

This article puts forth that Lovecraft actually predicted an animal of unimaginable size ,in our ocean .

They cite the bloop et al .

It's just kind of interesting.

I question whether Lovecraft actually "predicted an animal of unimaginable size on our ocean". Lovecraft was a writer of fiction not a biologist nor psychic and there are many instances of life imitating art (ie the notion that an event in the real world was inspired by a creative work). I think that Lovecraft's fiction (ie the awakening of Cthulu and other ancient gods) DID impact on real life (in a manner of speaking) - particularly when it came to the Loch Ness Monster hysteria of 1933 (5 years after the cthulu short story) when it was speculated at the time that it was "a prehistoric animal released from subterranean caverns by blasting operations". It was also speculated that the Rottnest Monster that washed upon shore off the coast of Western Australia the following year was "cast up from the depths by some submarine disturbance".

Monsters being disturbed from their ancient slumber to terrorize/confound humankind - very Lovecraftian...

Perhaps even the fictional cults devoted to serving Cthulu and other ancient Gods could now be called cryptozoologists...

• Like 1

I know how long Cthulu's lifespan is:

'Til the end of the book!

LMAO

I tend to agree there is no Cthulu/Godzilla sized monsters living in the deep oceans. I suppose it is possible.

A blue whale is about 100 feet long and 200 tons and is said to be the largest animal ever know to have existed.

The largest dinosaurs are suspected to have topped out at 75 tons.

Cthulu is supposed to be over/around 50 feet tall, and is much wider then a whale, so probably weighs in close to 60-80 tons.

Godzilla for comparison is 300 feet tall and 60,000 tons.

So a Cthulhu sized monster is much more likely then a Godzilla sized one.

Depends which era the Godzilla is from. He changes sizes depending on the continuity.

True enough!

Cthulu is supposed to be over/around 50 feet tall, and is much wider then a whale, so probably weighs in close to 60-80 tons.

Godzilla for comparison is 300 feet tall and 60,000 tons.

So a Cthulhu sized monster is much more likely then a Godzilla sized one.

While not to support the belief that Cthulhu or Godzilla exists, I believe the only description of Cthulhu's size is the phrase "a mountain walked or stumbled", which would suggest he is well behind 50 feet tall, and could very well be larger then Godzilla.

I would make the argument that both Cthulu and Godzilla have entered the realms of modern folklore or mythology, and so have variable sizes to be determined by each unique interpreter.

While not to support the belief that Cthulhu or Godzilla exists, I believe the only description of Cthulhu's size is the phrase "a mountain walked or stumbled", which would suggest he is well behind 50 feet tall, and could very well be larger then Godzilla.

True enough again. But, I believe the various RPG games out there have made various statistics for these guys and some of them have been approved by the estate of Lovecraft, so actual sizes that are approved do exist. I just have not been able to find them online today. One common size that is around the internet, but appears to be unsupported is 50 feet. So I went with that.

I originally had thought Cthulhu much larger also, on a size with Godzilla, which is why I used that for comparison. And then after not finding anything concrete I had to edit to put in 50 feet tall.

In the story, Cthulhu is only temporarily defeated by running the ships propellers into his head, which would suggest that he was HUGE.

If we discover a giant creature in the ocean can we call it Cthulhu whatever? Please Please Please?

Well, what kind of gargantuan beasts could logically live under the water? Could whales attain that size? Would something that large have to have less stable molecular density (like a jellyfish or squid?)

True enough again. But, I believe the various RPG games out there have made various statistics for these guys and some of them have been approved by the estate of Lovecraft, so actual sizes that are approved do exist. I just have not been able to find them online today. One common size that is around the internet, but appears to be unsupported is 50 feet. So I went with that.

I originally had thought Cthulhu much larger also, on a size with Godzilla, which is why I used that for comparison. And then after not finding anything concrete I had to edit to put in 50 feet tall.

In the story, Cthulhu is only temporarily defeated by running the ships propellers into his head, which would suggest that he was HUGE.

If we are referencing RPGs, which is fine, then I suggest Chaosium in which Cthulhu is given a size of 210, which puts him somewhere around 970 tons in weight, but no height specified. Then again, his form is not fixed and he modify it as he chooses. As a cosmic supernatural entity, he has form, but is not made of matter as we know it.

Again, not supporting the existence of either of them.

I was under the impression that cathulu ( not sure how it is spelled) was a fictional being out of a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I had never even heard of it until i started playing 3.0 Dungeons and Dragons. so when i saw the topic i laughed until i hurt, but come to think of it I have never seen any stats for it......Hummmmmmm guess i need to do some research.

I was under the impression that cathulu ( not sure how it is spelled) was a fictional being out of a Dungeons and Dragons like game. I had never even heard of it until i started playing 3.0 Dungeons and Dragons. so when i saw the topic i laughed until i hurt, but come to think of it I have never seen any stats for it......Hummmmmmm guess i need to do some research.

There are several ways to spell it, and pronounce it, none are correct or incorrect. Cthulhu's origins are in the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft, specifically The Call of Cthulhu, published in 1928. He is a fictional cosmic extraterrestrial entity, and has been included in a number of RPG games, notably Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. Lovecraft's works became known as the Cthulhu Mythos and includes many other entities and horrors, of which Cthulhu is among the most powerful.

flat,550x550,075,f.jpgvt50774f9b.jpg I believe it looks quite similar to the eye of a swordfish

Good call - the experts agree that's where it probably came from. A swordfish...that may have possibly been killed by CTHULHU

There are several ways to spell it, and pronounce it, none are correct or incorrect. Cthulhu's origins are in the literary works of H.P. Lovecraft, specifically The Call of Cthulhu, published in 1928. He is a fictional cosmic extraterrestrial entity, and has been included in a number of RPG games, notably Chaosium's Call of Cthulhu. Lovecraft's works became known as the Cthulhu Mythos and includes many other entities and horrors, of which Cthulhu is among the most powerful.

Iv never heard of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game. I learn something new everytime I get on here :tu: :tu:

Iv never heard of the Chaosium Call of Cthulhu game. I learn something new everytime I get on here :tu: :tu:

It is probably the best RPG with regards to a good Lovecraftian feel. Fair amount of rules regarding Sanity checks and temporary or permanent insanities.

There is a thread on RPGs if we wish to discuss it there.

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=235075

It's a really fun RPG game. It can have a high mortality rate if you're not careful however. :gun:

Always be sure your character does not read or speak arabic, ancient greek or latin, and your chances of staying sane are much higher. And... don't listen to anyone who does read from an old book written in one of those languages. And always remember... you don't have to outrun the monsters, you just have to outrun your fellow characters. :innocent:

It's a really fun RPG game. It can have a high mortality rate if you're not careful however. :gun:

Always be sure your character does not read or speak arabic, ancient greek or latin, and your chances of staying sane are much higher. And... don't listen to anyone who does read from an old book written in one of those languages. And always remember... you don't have to outrun the monsters, you just have to outrun your fellow characters. :innocent:

Players are so fragile in that game, the best fun is to introduce a bunch of D&D players to it and watch them charge in with guns and die in a few rounds.

Good old hamstringing. Can be achieved with a pistol shot do. Not to kill, just the kneecap.

I'm not sure a creature large enough to make the bloop could even exist. It would require a MASSIVE amount of food, and there isn't too many giant things to eat far down in the depths. There would also have to be a breeding population, so that means at least 300 or so of these things, all needing a ridiculous amount of food... I just dont't think something that big could support itself. I know there were Megalodons and we have giant squids, but this thing would be may more massive. I remember reading that to make a call that loud, the voice box would need to be the size of a small house. JUST THE VOICE BOX.

Basically the bloop and 'julia' are likely caused by a natural event and aren't vocalizations at all.

• Like 1

Why is it necessary for there to breeding a population? Considering numbers are dwindling for the species we can observe, isn't it possible for "The Bloop", if it were a beast, to be one of the last of its kind? Due in part to humans maybe murdering its primary food source?

A "breeding" population never rules anything out in a world where we can observe animals that lack one. At least, for now.

Why is it necessary for there to breeding a population? Considering numbers are dwindling for the species we can observe, isn't it possible for "The Bloop", if it were a beast, to be one of the last of its kind? Due in part to humans maybe murdering its primary food source?

A "breeding" population never rules anything out in a world where we can observe animals that lack one. At least, for now.

Sure, Xetan - its possible that if an animal made the bloop noise, that it could be the very last one. I can get on board with that. I suppose the crux of the argument is that what we really have here is one single bit of audio (yes there are other large, unidentified bits of audio - but they aren't the same sound signature and so are different bits of evidence), that comes from something that has yet to be determined. I'm relatively uneducated in the grand scheme of things, and so I won't go too far into speculating about things I have little experience in. I do know however that the earth itself makes many noises (pops, groans, long rumbles) due to the seismic and tectonic processes that are always happening.

In my mind, it is simply more likely that the bloop would be one of those known processes than it would be to be a gigantic sea creature. Not impossible - I won't ever say that, because that's stupid and closed minded, at least in my opinion. I like to think of things in terms of what is more or less likely. That's where my comfort level is. I'm open to the possibility that someone could someday connect the bloop by a chain of evidence to a giant unknown sea-beast. It could sure happen. For now though, I'll stick with what seems more likely and requires the simplest explanation.