Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Mysterious Elk-Shaped Structure in Russia

Hasina

Mysterious Elk-Shaped Structure Discovered in Russia

A huge geoglyph in the shape of an elk or deer discovered in Russia may predate Peru's famous Nazca Lines by thousands of years.

The animal-shaped stone structure, located near Lake Zjuratkul in the Ural Mountains, north of Kazakhstan, has an elongated muzzle, four legs and two antlers. A historical Google Earth satellite image from 2007 shows what may be a tail, but this is less clear in more recent imagery.

Excluding the possible tail, the animal stretches for about 900 feet (275 meters) at its farthest points (northwest to southeast), the researchers estimate, equivalent to two American football fields. The figure faces north and would have been visible from a nearby ridge.

Source: http://www.livescien...discovered.html

Edited by Hasina
  • Like 1

Wow that is a cool find. And it predates the one in Peru. There goes the Alien theory out the window!!!

they should cut down the trees blocking the view and of course plant new ones some where else :)

Not to be a pain, there is already a thread about it (a short one):

Geoglyph discovered on the Zjuratkul Ridge

in the southern Urals

started by Still Waters, Apr 03 2012

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=224957

"However, the large projecting muzzle suggests that the intention was probably to reproduce the most prominent features of an elk."

Why not a mammoth?

post-18246-0-77730000-1333468716_thumb.j

Derp on me, lol, I should actually look through more of the archives before posting a news thread. My apologies.

Derp on me, lol, I should actually look through more of the archives before posting a news thread. My apologies.

No need to apologize, we just continue here.

Now, is it an elk or a mammoth:

post-18246-0-25484200-1350053170_thumb.j

The 'head' of that elk is a bit 'elongated', right? To me it looks more like the trunk of a mammoth than the head of an elk:

post-18246-0-51742100-1350053269_thumb.j

It all depends on how one adds the missing lines.

Edited by Abramelin

That point a the front that's upthrusted could be tusks, yeah, I see it now. Good point about the mammoth.

Edited by Hasina

With a snout like that I thought it was more of a likeness to a moose, but I believe they have only ever been in North America.

Thanks for that. I thought they were only a North American beast.

In any case they seem an awkward looking product of natural selection.

Eurasian elk = American moose: American elk (AKA wapiti) is another kind of deer entirely.