Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Any Xcom fans out there?

Grey14

I loved this game back when it the last versions came out and now there is a brand new one that just came out. I have to say I think it may rebirth the turn based tactical games again. It is a great game. Anyone else played these games in the past or have the new one called Xcom: Enemy unknown?

250px-XCOM_TERROR.jpg

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Grey14

• buckskin scout

• Mr Right Wing

• Rlyeh

I had Enemy Unknown on the Amiga, put in many hours but still ended up restarting out of frustration.

Pre-loaded the new version from steam but it screwed it up so I'm downloading it again. ****!

Edited by Rlyeh

I had Enemy Unknown on the Amiga, put in many hours but still ended up restarting out of frustration.

Pre-loaded the new version from steam but it screwed it up so I'm downloading it again. ****!

It worth the wait. I mean it has it's differences from the old games but it still has the same feel. and the graphics are very nice.

I got it on my PS3. It's pretty bloody good. Love the atmosphere of the game.

Yeah it is fun I burned like 10 hours on it the day it came out as I was off from work. I like investing in my squadies. Though I wish I could get a few more support class guys.

Played some previous xcom titles, Pretty good game. Used to spend hours playing.

I might get the new one soon.

I tried out the demo and liked it. But Medal of Honor: Warfighter looks great and I'll be grabbing that instead.

I loved this game back when it the last versions came out and now there is a brand new one that just came out. I have to say I think it may rebirth the turn based tactical games again. It is a great game. Anyone else played these games in the past or have the new one called Xcom: Enemy unknown?

250px-XCOM_TERROR.jpg

Theres a lack of good strategy games these days.

Xcom Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep are abandonware which you can download from abandonia for free. I've spent many hours playing both and have completed them.

The newer xcoms are not turn based strategies and the clones arent the same.

Theres a lack of good strategy games these days.

Xcom Enemy Unknown and Terror from the Deep are abandonware which you can download from abandonia for free. I've spent many hours playing both and have completed them.

The newer xcoms are not turn based strategies and the clones arent the same.

The new xcom game is turn based. It has differences from the originals but it does recapture the feel of the older games. It's pretty fun.

The new xcom game is turn based. It has differences from the originals but it does recapture the feel of the older games. It's pretty fun.

Really?

I looked at it in Game yesterday and the pictures on the back looked more fps than strategy. I shall have a look for some live footage. Thanks.

Really?

I looked at it in Game yesterday and the pictures on the back looked more fps than strategy. I shall have a look for some live footage. Thanks.

Yeah it's turn based, The graphics are awesome. and a little bonus for me is that I have an illuminated KB on my laptop that can change colors and while playing the game it takes over the color scheme and colors the keys green when it is my turn and red during the aliens turn. Quite cool.

Here is a you tube link showing the gameplay.

Edited by Grey14

• 4 months later...

Really?

It is turned based with added cinematic clips usually after an action and/or at the end of a turn.

I am enjoying immensely at the start it is pretty much a piece of cake until my whole squad got wiped out in Russia by a new mysterious alien. Me thinks its time to restart the game I lost some ranking men and women. Damn it!

I cant believe I lost all my veterans -- no, I can believe it as it was a "very difficult" mission. I deleted the saved content and starting from scratch all over again. Very addictive game.

My whole squad was picked off one-by-one and turned into zombies ala The Walking Dead lol

Uh-oh!

The new XCOM being released this December is being classified as a -- shooter -- on the Gamestop site.

Featuring a bold new origin story told from a first-person perspective, XCOM pits Special Agent William Carter and his team against the threat of human extinction from an insidious otherworldly force. But every enemy is an opportunity - players will strike surgically against the alien menace, capture their technology, and by the science of desperation - turn the invaders' weapons against them. Armed with these lethal new tools of war, players will command their squad on XCOM's front lines: Main Street, USA.

Recruit the Finest: The player leads an elite field team of specialized government agents into battle - combining deep, visceral gunplay with powerful sci-fi abilities. A special tactical mode lets you see the "battlescape" where all possible actions the agents might take are revealed for your command.

An Elite Division: Plan and equip your missions from the underground XCOM base: the center for researching the alien technology, building out your weapon cache and choosing the agents to accompany you on each adventure.

Capture and Harness Their Technology: Strike surgically against the alien menace, capture their technology and turn the invaders' weapons against them. Equip your team with an arsenal of powerful weapons utilizing modified alien tech.

Feel the Weight of Mankind's Last Stand: The American Dream is crumbling all around you as the invaders corrupt the country, one town at a time. How do you stop a force that acts without conscience, a force whose sole desire is to corrupt and consume all that it touches? How do you stop an enemy with no weaknesses, an enemy that cannot be harmed by conventional technology? How will you react to the loss of your perceived reality, and the corruption of the world around you?

Instead of just giving Terror From The Deep or one of the other two sequels the Enemy Unknown treatment. Really, we don't need another shooter what we need is more strategy games like Enemy Unknown.