Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Airship to conduct aerial search for Bigfoot

Saru

I have gone further, and emailed Jeff, from Idaho State University.

If he confirms this is a legitimate project, I will eat crow....I do not think I will get a answer that says he is supporting it as the article claims.....

Hello Jeff,

I am in a debate of sorts, and would like to have you confirm or deny that you are involved in a Bigfoot project, “ The Falcon Project “?

For someone to be asking for donations, I would like to see something more substantial that this is legitimate, and you have something to do with it also.

“ The research is to be coordinated through Idaho State University, with Dr. Jeff Meldrum, professor of anatomy & anthropology, acting as principal investigator. “

http://www.pr.com/press-release/446674

Thank you, I will await your reply before I make any decisions.

Robert

• Like 1

Ok so lets speculate though. Lets say they get the thing up and going and the project is able to resolve incredible detail both photographically and from a thermal imaging standpoint. How good would the images have to be to meet the standards of evidence for a possible undiscovered hairy hominid? Opinions?

True, it isn't like you could fly this thing among the trees at 5ft-7ft-12ft heights, or peek in caves, look inside "nests". And where are these places that are so "squatchy" they warrant all this time, energy, technology and expense?

The technology with this type of camera work has been around a while.In 2006, " Planet Earth " showed some of the most stunning footage of migrations and such, from a helicopter...( google it, or watch it, amazing ).....

The technology is there, the animal is not, and I wonder if the project is also.

We all ready have " drones " that can be made by anyone. People in the RC world know this....

http://diydrones.com/

• Like 1

The technology with this type of camera work has been around a while.In 2006, " Planet Earth " showed some of the most stunning footage of migrations and such, from a helicopter...( google it, or watch it, amazing ).....

The technology is there, the animal is not, and I wonder if the project is also.

We all ready have " drones " that can be made by anyone. People in the RC world know this....

http://diydrones.com/

Camera technology yes, but on a blimp such as this ?

I would still have to see it work in this regard to believe its possible efficacy in hunting an unknown animal.

A known animal is easy to identify. An unknown requires more...so to speak.. I have to question the stability and agility of an RC air ship searching the PNW etc for Mr Big. Let alone this craft's vulnerabilities in such environments.

I think it is suspicious as well.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Camera technology yes, but on a blimp such as this ?

I would still have to see it work in this regard to believe its possible efficacy in hunting an unknown animal.

A known animal is easy to identify. An unknown requires more...so to speak.. I have to question the stability and agility of an RC air ship searching the PNW etc for Mr Big. Let alone this craft's vulnerabilities in such environments.

I think it is suspicious as well.

It is out there...And huge donations are not needed......Not a new thing.

• Like 1

As the videos show, this technology has been around a long time......Why the need for donations?

• Like 1

I still have trouble seeing an airship used for searching dense forests. They are not agile. Current r/c ones are odd to fly.

Meldrum's will be huge, and they are vulnerable to wind, trees, etc.

Again, it will take me seeing for Meldrum's intended purpose, imo.

I think it sounds off.

Edited by QuiteContrary

A couple more.....Falcon project could save some money and contact these guys, or their local hobby store.....I am telling you, this is a scam....Bigfooter fans never seem to learn their lessons.

• Like 1

I still have trouble seeing an airship used for searching dense forests. They are not agile. Current r/c ones are odd to fly.

Meldrum's will be huge, and they are vulnerable to wind, trees, etc.

Again, it will take me seeing for Meldrum's intended purpose, imo.

I think it sounds off.

Are you not watching these videos?

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Ok so lets speculate though. Lets say they get the thing up and going and the project is able to resolve incredible detail both photographically and from a thermal imaging standpoint. How good would the images have to be to meet the standards of evidence for a possible undiscovered hairy hominid? Opinions?

Sakari's right there is some very high res optics technology out there, that would be at least 80% sufficient to convince me. But they would need to presented the evidence in context, from the beginning to end, not just a vid. clip that only lasts for a few seconds. I would want to see the subjects natural movement, and locomotion over varying terrain.

Sakari,

The videos are great! Very cool.

But these are nice days with the craft in the pilot's line of site. That makes a huge difference. Even in a bit of wind if I can see the craft i can compensate. But a good gust will bury one of those in the videos in the trees.

Are Meldrum and co. using radio trucks and satellites? Or. just flying like these guys in the videos (flat terrain, nice days, craft in their line of vision) which I don't see as viable for heavily wooded areas or hunting a creature uncannily aware of human presence. Not to mention, what in my opinion would have to be a creature tracked in an open field on a nice day with low wind and the pilot able to see the craft as it tracked its target.

Edited by QuiteContrary

Who is funding all these stupid things? Theres no hard evidence of bigfoot, so no one in the actual scientific fields would bother funding a futile search.

And if they do get a hominid heat signature, do what? No one will believe thats bigfoot, it will just be shelved with all the other shaky cellphone video 'evidence'.

Sakari,

The videos are great! Very cool.

But these are nice days with the craft in the pilot's line of site. That makes a huge difference. Even in a bit of wind if I can see the craft i can compensate. But a good gust will bury one of those in the videos in the trees.

Are Meldrum and co. using radio trucks and satellites? Or. just flying like these guys in the videos (flat terrain, nice days, craft in their line of vision) which I don't see as viable for heavily wooded areas or hunting a creature uncannily aware of human presence. Not to mention, what in my opinion would have to be a creature tracked in an open field on a nice day with low wind and the pilot able to see the craft as it tracked its target.

I posted the last video of a 15 ft blimp in 15 MPH + winds ( sustained winds )...Either way, they can fly in high winds, can maneuver through forests, and can be purchased by anyone.

I am saying asking for donations for 2 years now, and claiming Idaho State University is backing them sounds fishy to me.....

a creature uncannily aware of human presence..... :no:

I also posted the site " do it yourself drones " that sells FPV equipment, and drone equipment. It would be easier to do this on a blimp then it would a plane. I will not bore you with FPV flying of RC planes over 17 kilometers one way..

I posted a video of " FPV " flying a blimp for you. The screen shows GPS, battery, speed, altitude, direction, etc.....That pilot can not see the blimp, he is in the blimp.

Trust me, it can be done easily......Hell, if people want to donate to me, I would venture to say for about $2500.00 I can get a blimp, and cameras, and FPV equipment, and I live in the North West.....I could do it for pennies on the dollar of what they are asking. ( I used to fly RC planes, have one video of a flight here somewhere )

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

I posted the last video of a 15 ft blimp in 15 MPH + winds ( sustained winds )...Either way, they can fly in high winds, can maneuver through forests, and can be purchased by anyone

I am saying asking for donations for 2 years now, and claiming Idaho State University is backing them sounds fishy to me.....

a creature uncannily aware of human presence..... :no:

I'll agree to disagree. I believe:

They cannot be flown in high winds while doing effective search and tracking.

One gust can ruin a flight.

A 40 some foot ship would not be maneuverable through trees. No one flies 15 inch R/C craft through the trees or wooded areas.

Those hunting the creature believe it is uncanningly aware of human presence (not me)...Thus the reason they want to use a stealthy craft. Therefore, the creature being aware of the r/c pilot of the airship and a crew makes little sense from their POV.

Edited by QuiteContrary

I'll agree to disagree. I believe:

They cannot be flown in high winds while doing effective search and tracking.

One gust can ruin a flight.

A 40 some foot ship would not be maneuverable through trees. No one flies 15 inch R/C craft through the trees or wooded areas.

Those hunting the creature believe it is uncanningly aware of human presence (not me)...Thus the reason they want to use a stealthy craft. Therefore, the creature being aware of the r/c pilot of the airship and a crew makes little sense from their POV.

Oh now you did it :)

Yes they do !

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 2

• Like 1

FPV flying through the forest.......Approx. size 15 inch....

• Like 1

They think lack of sound is going to find them bigfoot? Hope they realise that a 45' dual airship may have implications of its own...

This whole story sounds so stupid.

FPV flying through the forest.......Approx. size 15 inch....

[media=]

[/media]

Very cool! But an easy area to fly a helicopter in for an experienced pilot: no low branches, plenty of open areas for the size of the craft to maneuver.

R/C planes can be flown down my street. But try tracking a cat.

You can fly helicopters in a house. But try tracking a fly.

It doesn't convince me of Meldrum's 40 foot blimp through the forest after a sasquatch.

Fitting the forest for the craft doesn't work. You'd have to have a craft fitted for the forest, any forest situation, when hunting an animal. And I'm not seeing it in Meldrum's. imo

In the United States are you allowed to fly FPV, without being in visual site of your craft?

I see Meldrum's flying above the trees. The pilot peering through a camera- screen/goggles to fly a 40+ foot dual pontoon craft being buffeted about looking for and then tracking an illusive (at best) animal. And being quiet about it. I'm not convinced.

Edited by QuiteContrary

the investigators should read the book called 10,000 Leagues Under the Sea by Jules Verne. the crew in the story hunts for the "massive narwhale of epic proportions" and it turns out that it was a submarine. its probably the same with bigfoot

Very cool! But an easy area to fly a helicopter in for an experienced pilot: no low branches, plenty of open areas for the size of the craft to maneuver.

R/C planes can be flown down my street. But try tracking a cat.

You can fly helicopters in a house. But try tracking a fly.

It doesn't convince me of Meldrum's 40 foot blimp through the forest after a sasquatch.

Fitting the forest for the craft doesn't work. You'd have to have a craft fitted for the forest, any forest situation, when hunting an animal. And I'm not seeing it in Meldrum's. imo

In the United States are you allowed to fly FPV, without being in visual site of your craft?

I see Meldrum's flying above the trees. The pilot peering through a camera- screen/goggles to fly a 40+ foot dual pontoon craft being buffeted about looking for and then tracking an illusive (at best) animal. And being quiet about it. I'm not convinced.

I will convince you yet :)

Only that these things can and are done.....Just take away the ficticious animal of course.

• Like 1

I will convince you yet :)

Only that these things can and are done.....Just take away the ficticious animal of course.

You're on!

If Meldrum's craft as stated or a craft just like it:

--makes successful flight

--and shows the ability to track any large skittish or wary animal, stealthily and agilely through the forest

--and with excellent video

I'll eat our styrofoam R/C airplanes! (without ketchup...)

P.S. I fly R/C, but I don’t have near the skill or experience of my husband. I have seen some amazing R/C flying and know R/C has all kinds of excellent applications. Not to mention what the military has probably accomplished by now. This, I don’t doubt, Sakari.

It is Meldrum’s ship and its success with its intended purpose I’m having the problem with.

Edited by QuiteContrary

You're on!

If Meldrum's craft as stated or a craft just like it:

--makes successful flight

--and shows the ability to track any large skittish or wary animal, stealthily and agilely through the forest

--and with excellent video

I'll eat our styrofoam R/C airplanes! (without ketchup...)

This won't work....

I don't think this " blimp " will ever be. I am not sure if you saw my posts on the emails I have sent, and received, and not received.

So, I guess if it comes down to his craft doing this, you win :)

Now if you want a challenge on if a RC type vehicle could do this, I can assure you, you will not like styrofoam :)

P.S. Elapor foam is used more for planes, it forms back to it's original shape when dipped in boiling water for 30 seconds :)

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Just received a email from Mr. Meldrum. He wants me to call him.

I am going to try to get him on this topic, so he can answer all of our questions....

Last time I did this, the thread was closed. I hope this does not happen again, if he decides to participate.

• Like 2

This won't work....

I don't think this " blimp " will ever be. I am not sure if you saw my posts on the emails I have sent, and received, and not received.

So, I guess if it comes down to his craft doing this, you win :)

Now if you want a challenge on if a RC type vehicle could do this, I can assure you, you will not like styrofoam :)

P.S. Elapor foam is used more for planes, it forms back to it's original shape when dipped in boiling water for 30 seconds :)

Read my PS above. I don't doubt the abilities and uses of R/C craft. I do doubt the use of a blimp for Meldrum's purpose as well as the size.

Foam foam foam. I will eat our foam planes.

Just received a email from Mr. Meldrum. He wants me to call him.

I am going to try to get him on this topic, so he can answer all of our questions....

Last time I did this, the thread was closed. I hope this does not happen again, if he decides to participate.

Great!

I want to know how you track an alert, human wary, forest dwelling animal with an R/C, semi-sized, wind vulnerable craft through it's habitat?

edit to add: Alert, human wary

Edited by QuiteContrary