Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ten year old Jessica Ridgeway

Regi

If you've followed the national news, then you know that another precious child has been abducted and murdered.

Ten year-old Jessica Ridgeway was reported missing on the afternoon of Friday, October 5, 2012.

Her body was recovered Wednesday, approximately six miles from her home, and couldn't be positively identified until Friday due to the condition of the body, described as "not intact".

The discovery site was a rather rural area in the 9800 block of Alkire Street, west side of Standley Lake in Arvada, Colorado.

Jessica's home was at 10768 Moore Street in Westminster.

The Denver Post reported that Jessica had called a boy at 8:25am, Friday morning, to ask him if he'd be walking to school that day... that the two usually walked down Moore Street and through an "open space" every morning.

(Now, it seems that wouldn't be true of "every" morning since she'd called him to ask. Just sayin')

The Post also reported that Jessica's mother had stood in the front yard of their home and watched until Jessica was out of sight. This was at 8:30am.

The boy had said that he'd wait for Jessica, but by 8:40am- and 10 minutes before the school bell- Jessica wasn't there, so the boys father then drove him to school.

The police located the boy Friday afternoon, and after first telling officers that he'd walked with Jessica that day and that he saw her enter the school building, he later realized that he'd had his days mixed up.

First, this is an extremely narrow frame of time and opportunity... and Jessica's mother had watched Jessica travel part of the distance, yet she didn't arrive at the boy's home.

Reports have been that Jessica's routine was that she'd meet friends at Chelsea Park, and walk to the Witt school from there.

I've located Jessica's home on Moore Street, and there's two streets she'd pass on her way toward Chelsea Park- Moore Circle and Moore Way, both on the left, and once at Moore Way, Chelsea Park is diagonal on the right.

Moore Street curves, and it seems Jessica would have been out of her mother's sight once she passed Moore Circle.

It seems to me that it's highly likely that whoever's responsible had expected her to walk by at that particular time. The timing is just too close to be coincidental.

The first clue in the case was that her backpack and water bottle were found on the sidewalk on Andrew Way in Superior, Colorado, in the Rock Creek subdivision, about the same distance away from her home as her body.

The backpack was said to have been seen on Saturday evening, but wasn't reported to police until Sunday morning.

The FBI said it apparently was dropped off "sometime overnight Saturday".

The locations of her home, her belongings, and the discovery site offer an interesting geographic profile. As I pointed out, the distances from her home are close to exact.

Police are asking for the public to report any unusual behavior, or any changes in behavior of those they know or see.

But I hope that when they ask about that Friday, or Saturday, or Wednesday, that they ask people what they saw, period. People might see things that they don't find "unusual", but the police have to know everything that was seen ...who was where, and what they were doing.

On a personal note, I'm beside myself. I'm overwhelmed with sadness, and I'm boiling with rage for all the damned scum of the earth.

• Like 1

I came across something I found interesting enough that I called it in as a tip to the hotline. I've never done that before and I don't know why, but I'm a nervous wreck.

• Like 1

but I'm a nervous wreck.

If I may ask, why are you nervous? Aren't you glad to be helping track this criminal down? :S

I called the tip line on the case here in Iowa. I was nervous about it too. Not sure why.

But, regardless....I understand what you are saying about boiling with rage. I just wish they'd find the SOB that is responsible for this.

• Like 1

If I may ask, why are you nervous? Aren't you glad to be helping track this criminal down? :S

Re: the tip, it could be a very good lead, or there could be nothing to it, but I don't know why I'd feel nervous, and I'm really taken back by it.

I know my emotions have been on the edge.

Maybe it's that this case came so soon on the heels of April's case...I don't know, but it's clear to me that I need to step away for a while.

I called the tip line on the case here in Iowa. I was nervous about it too. Not sure why.

But, regardless....I understand what you are saying about boiling with rage. I just wish they'd find the SOB that is responsible for this.

Absolutely, supervike! If they don't catch this SOB, I really don't know what. They have to, that's all.

So, you felt nervous, too? I feel a lot better about it now that you've shared that. I didn't anticipate how I'd feel and it came very unexpectedly.

I appreciate your post, and Thank You. :tu:

• Like 1

To all feeling awful for the Jessica Ridgeway family, there is something you CAN do to help -

I work with Jessica's grandma and wanted to send this link out to hopefully generate some relief for the family. No amount of money will bring her back or ease their pain, but they shouldn't have to worry about the expenses of this ordeal. Maybe if enough people see this link and donate a few bucks we can help cover the cost of the memorial service. It is the least we all can do. It is legit with a paypal account. Seriously, anything you can give, even if only $5 will help. Also, send this link out to everyone you know. If people feel as heartbroken and helpless as I do, they may donate to feel like they are at least helping the family out. Thanks!!

http://www.jessicaridgeway.com/donate/

According to the FBI the person or persons that did this horrible crime is someone that is local. Someone studied Jessica's route to school. This animal need to be caught and pull down.

Information in my original post relaying that the mother watched Jessica until she was out of sight came from the denverchannel.com, and it's NOT what the mother stated on an interview.

I apologize for that misinformation. (Of course, if one doesn't have it from the horses mouth, then it's best to have at least two independent sources and I did not!)

In the interview, the mother said that she'd watched Jessica walk out the door. She said "I watch her walk out the door, and I shut the door, and that's the last time I saw her."

The article re: the interview reported that the mother had also said that it was snowing- in the part of the interview that I saw, it didn't show her say that- but that would explain why Jessica called the boy to ask if he was walking that day. (It's noted that according to that ONE article, Jessica actually spoke to the boy's father. (Every detail is important.)

Re: the actual interview, I can't link it. Maybe the whole interview is available somewhere...I don't know, but here's the article.

http://www.denverpos...d-colorado-girl

That article is the only source for the following info. The article reports that Jessica was to meet the boy at his home, which is "slightly more than 1,000 feet".

Now, that distance doesn't figure right to me. Of course, it'd be nice to know where the boy actually lives, but the school itself is just a little over a mile from Jessica's home (about 1.4 mi.) by vehicle.

From where I sit, it'd be nice to know what the plan was once Jessica was to arrive at the boy's home- whether or not they were to walk on to school from there, and if there was any attempt to find out why Jessica hadn't arrived at the boy's home after she said she would.

It's important to have a clear picture of precisely how and why events unfolded and we don't. I understand that there are reasons that we don't...that the investigators won't tell the media/public everything they know. I'm just pointing things out that- at this point, and without certain knowledge, it's bothersome, and to me, it will be bothersome until it's revealed.

Edited by regi

As most know by now, police have arrested a suspect, and surely, the most stunning fact is that the suspect is 17.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that the suspect lived just a little over a mile from the abduction site, but personally, I thought he'd likely be found to live even closer than that.

Anyway... of course, it's a great relief that authorities have a suspect.

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/nation/2012/10/24/jessica-ridgeway-arrest-colorado/1654699/

• Like 1

As most know by now, police have arrested a suspect, and surely, the most stunning fact is that the suspect is 17.

I don't think it's a surprise to anyone that the suspect lived just a little over a mile from the abduction site, but personally, I thought he'd likely be found to live even closer than that.

Anyway... of course, it's a great relief that authorities have a suspect.

Something doesn't seem right about this. (i hope it is him, but...). This seems to easy. Why would he confess just like that (amongst other facts)? Maybe he's protecting someone... eitherway, i hope it is him and no one else vanishes, but, I just get this feeling that there is more to the case then this. :(

Man, I have a feeling this kid is covering up for wither his older sibling, or father, and it's more involved. Someone with a van possibly, and chemicals/tools. Bad feeling either way. I think we will see more victims after a bit of a "break period". I hope I'm wrong.

I'm so glad they have gotten an arrest, and I seriously hope this grants some closure to that poor family.

I can't even think of the right words for this sort of thing. Horrific rage?

I'm so glad they have gotten an arrest, and I seriously hope this grants some closure to that poor family.

I can't even think of the right words for this sort of thing. Horrific rage?

I don't know words which could adequately convey such feelings.

For me, feelings collided when her body was found...feelings of deep sadness and pure anger, and they came simultaneously.

I know my reaction to those feelings...I wanted to kill the scum. I know that sounds dramatic, but I don't know how else to describe such intense anger.

Now that they have a suspect, I don't care that he's 17. I don't care about his history or anything else about him. It doesn't matter because anyone who commits such an atrocious, heinous crime should be removed from society, and I don't care how that's accomplished as long as it's permanently.

At this point, it doesn't appear that Jessica's family will have to live with the uncertainty of who it was, and hopefully, they can find a measure of relief from that.

Edited by regi

• 1 year later...