Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Senior Project on Paranormal Investigation

Hostess

As a High School senior, in my district we have to do a Senior Project. I chose to do mine on Paranormal Investigation. My paper is an argument in support of paranormal investigations being legitimate. Actually, it is kind of mixed at the moment. It completely discredits television investigators, but the overall thesis is that the paranormal does exist and we can observe and prove it scientifically. As a part of the process of making the project, I need to talk to an "expert" in the field- we used to get mentors and meet with them in real life, but they just passed a bill that says all mentors have to get a background check, and since that is utter malarkey, now everyone has to interview someone through email (and no one has to get a background check this way).

So, if you are a paranormal investigator and willing to contact me via email, message me on this site so I we can talk.

Thank you.

You may have a hard time with this.

A expert in Karate..

A expert in Italian Cooking.

A expert in framing.

A expert in Photography.

To become a expert in something, you have to have shown ability to perform above others in that field. Considering " hauntings " and such are not even close to being established as anything other then over active imaginations, you will not be able to have a " expert paranormal investigator ".

Keep in mind, the " tools " used are for other things, and people are just " guessing " that they are picking up paranormal activity. Ghosts and such have no evidence at all of their existence, so these tools have no " base " to prove them on, or to even calibrate them on.

In reality, all paranormal investigators are amateurs, same as a Bigfoot investigator and such. One is not better then another because none have ever proven these things exist in any way.

I do wish you luck on your paper.

If you have not gotten to far, I would suggest looking at " Psychology of paranormal investigators ", and look into the psychology of why some people think certain things are " ghosts ".

That I promise you is a very fun topic to tackle.

" Addicted to ghost hunting "......

• Like 1

As a High School senior, in my district we have to do a Senior Project. I chose to do mine on Paranormal Investigation. My paper is an argument in support of paranormal investigations being legitimate. Actually, it is kind of mixed at the moment. It completely discredits television investigators, but the overall thesis is that the paranormal does exist and we can observe and prove it scientifically. As a part of the process of making the project, I need to talk to an "expert" in the field- we used to get mentors and meet with them in real life, but they just passed a bill that says all mentors have to get a background check, and since that is utter malarkey, now everyone has to interview someone through email (and no one has to get a background check this way).

So, if you are a paranormal investigator and willing to contact me via email, message me on this site so I we can talk.

Thank you.

I'm going to agree with Sakari on this one. You are standing on flimsy ground as far as your basis for your paper goes. While paranormal phenomenon MAY be true, certainly nobody has ever proven them to be so - at least in the sense that other phenomenon in the real world are proven. That is to say that there is no irrefutable evidence of the paranormal, and so there is no metric to judge whether paranormal investigations are legitimate or not. You will only find skeptics and believers. Believers take it on faith that paranormal phenomenon are real, despite the lack of evidence and skeptics are unconvinced by any phenomenon which has not yet been authenticated.

Believers put a lot of stock in eyewitness accounts of paranormal activity. You may want to research efficacy of eyewitness reporting and then branch into the fallibility of our very, very subjective human senses - and then our very also fallible brains upon whose task it is to interpret the information our senses bring in. Dabble a bit in the concept of pareidolia and confirmation bias as well just to round things out. The psychology of belief in the paranormal is going to be much more factual than trying to prove that paranormal things exist in a senior research paper. You will find scads and scads of paranormal investigators that you can quote and such, but make no mistake - they have not a single shred of real, authenticated, studiable evidence to back up their claims. If they did, the debate would be over and people like Sakari and I would happily be taking crow sandwiches with us in our lunches everyday.

Best of luck to your on your paper and welcome to the site. :tu:

• Like 1

Thank you.

I'm going to agree with Sakari on this one. You are standing on flimsy ground as far as your basis for your paper goes. While paranormal phenomenon MAY be true, certainly nobody has ever proven them to be so - at least in the sense that other phenomenon in the real world are proven. That is to say that there is no irrefutable evidence of the paranormal, and so there is no metric to judge whether paranormal investigations are legitimate or not. You will only find skeptics and believers. Believers take it on faith that paranormal phenomenon are real, despite the lack of evidence and skeptics are unconvinced by any phenomenon which has not yet been authenticated.

Believers put a lot of stock in eyewitness accounts of paranormal activity. You may want to research efficacy of eyewitness reporting and then branch into the fallibility of our very, very subjective human senses - and then our very also fallible brains upon whose task it is to interpret the information our senses bring in. Dabble a bit in the concept of pareidolia and confirmation bias as well just to round things out. The psychology of belief in the paranormal is going to be much more factual than trying to prove that paranormal things exist in a senior research paper. You will find scads and scads of paranormal investigators that you can quote and such, but make no mistake - they have not a single shred of real, authenticated, studiable evidence to back up their claims. If they did, the debate would be over and people like Sakari and I would happily be taking crow sandwiches with us in our lunches everyday.

Best of luck to your on your paper and welcome to the site. :tu: