Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Another Black Widow Spider

fishman10

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• schizoidwoman

• Simbi Laveau

• fishman10

• s33ker

I'm not too fond of spiders, but nice find.

Ditto

Sooooo cool. Widows are one of my favorite spiders, just because of how terrified people are of them, but they're pretty harmless if you don't go jamming your hand in dark places.

I like them too. My favorite shade of red! Looks like someone painted on their hourglasses.

We lived in Georgia where hundreds of them lived on piles of wood pallets on the property. They'd be found in the electric boxes of our trailers too.

They must be pretty non-aggressive. If they congregate in such big numbers on wood piles they must be all over a lot of people's wood piles or companies' pallet piles.

Yet it isn't like they are biting people all the time. Or they do but don't sicken people often?

Edited by QuiteContrary

Tons of them in the remote Utah desert where I live. They must live in the sagebrush and greasewood, but especially like dark places.

I built a shooting range in the desert years ago, and within a week I had four of them under the bench. Had to tack a sign to the bench, warning people to look under the bench before sitting down.

Find them around my house frequently. Their webs are distinctive: disjointed, not symmetrical, with threads thrown willy-nilly here and there. I see these webs everywhere. One's even attached to the front bumper of my pickup, which I haven't used in weeks.

When I moved here years ago, they used to creep me out. Now, I'm used to them, but I still kill them if they're in a high-traffic area. Don't want myself, my cats or someone unawares getting bit. But out in the desert, I let them be. They kill a lot of pesky insects, including mosquitoes.

A widow bite is painful, and requires medical care. It can quickly ulcerate and cause flesh to rot. Not a good idea to tolerate them in areas where people might get bit.

Arghhhhhhhhhhhhh kill it, just KILL IT!!!

OMGOMGOMGOMGOMG....O...M...FREAKING.......G.

fainting now......

Good catch!