Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Guy Hacks into NASA and Pentagon Computers

stevemagegod

I thought that such people get recruted to army...

Edit : If he actualy releases any evidence than i'll back him up, otherwise plain and empty words i would have to agree with psyche...

Boons work... ;)

He did say he found a list of Non Terrestial Officers but what kills his crediblitty is that he says he was to high on dope to remember anything.(He said it himself)

Edited by stevemagegod
  • Like 2

As you already know, but for the benefit of others; the subject of ET's would be (definately is?) the most closely guarded topic involving highly compartmentalized, pyramidal layers, divided further by a spectrum of clearance levels in both government and private sector organizations. This does not prove that contact with ET's is, or has been going on. This level of security would likely exist even if no contact had ever been established at this point. For many reasons, it is in the interest of the "ones in the know" to have the global public believe that "they" may be privy to technologies far advanced from any current or potential "enemies of the state"

Keep 'em guessing.

The fact that some of them have crashed here (or been shot down) and that contacts with various groups of ETs have been made since at least the 1950s, all of that is the most highly classified subject in the government.

Once in a while some of it leaks out, even in the 1950s by people like Lord Mountbatten. I have mentioned some of these limited disclosures on here.

I never doubted that he was telling the truth, or that many people were incredibly lax about computer security--so much so that he just broke into their systems without too much trouble. Maybe he just got lucky, but it certainly upset and embarrassed a lot of people.

He was looking for UFO information and he got it. I'm not at all surprised to find that NASA alters or destroys UFO pictures because people have been saying that for decades. They have never given a straight answer on one single UFO case yet, but have been caught in lie after lie after lie.

Nor did it shock me to learn that we had a secret space program with very advanced technology since the military space missions existed even before NASA and people like Ben Rich and his colleagues said 20 years ago that such advanced technology already existed.

I know that you are wrong about him telling the truth, because with regards to his IT methods he was not.

He got nothing. I do not know how to make it clearer that there is not a snowballs chance in hell that he is telling the truth. Even I could have hacked his ISP's and got the alleged vital information. And he had been doing it for months before he was caught. And if he had anything, half the planet would also be privy to his finds. ISP'a are hacked all the time. If there were the pictures he claimed then someone would have them who is not government. Most hackers are kids flexing their newly found IT skills during their summer break. Mainly DOS attacks for cheap thrill because getting inside is risky. As McKinnon found out. His incompetence and his false bravado, which came down around his ankles when caught, is how he got caught. I am amazed he got away with it for as many weeks as he did, but that was probably held up via negotiations with Scotland Yard before they could send the cars around on behalf of the US embassy.

Sorry McGuffin, he pulled the wool over your eyes. I know you believe him, but I know that he got nothing. The only lies being told in this case were being told by McKinnon. To be honest I am surprised that you would put morals aside because he told a tall tale. A cook is a crook is a crook. You will never see what he claimed to download because he got nothing. But if he had something, I assure you that you and I would not be having this conversation right now.

His fantasy was to hack the Government and have them think he was some sort of super geek and hire him, like the movie war games. Didn't turn out like he imagined. I still think you lot should be p***ed at him, as it is obvious that he thinks UFO proponents are gullible. And I am not the only one who gets that impression from his statements.

As I said earlier, if anyone was to uncover something secret in this fashion, Julian Assange would be your best bet by a long shot. McKinnon is overconfident of his abilities and no more than an Assange wannabe. From an IT perspective, he tells a laughable tale. If only I could translate what I know from an IT perspective into UFO speak, you would wash your hands of him. I remember people talking about this awesome hacker Mendax on hacker boards back in like 2002. The good old days of FreeBSD 4.x series.

All he did was tell a tale full of holes. May I ask, what aspect of his tale could you possibly find convincing? Is it just because they intended to make an example of him?

If others have done it and gotten real UFO information, which I repeat should not be kept secret, then they have not "shared" it with the world.

Pretty much exactly my point. And anyone worth an ounce of salt in the IT world will tell you that McKinnions so called hacking was child's play. If there was something to share, Wikileaks would have done exactly that already. Assange is what McKinnon hoped to be, but never came close.

As you already know, but for the benefit of others; the subject of ET's would be (definately is?) the most closely guarded topic involving highly compartmentalized, pyramidal layers, divided further by a spectrum of clearance levels in both government and private sector organizations. This does not prove that contact with ET's is, or has been going on. This level of security would likely exist even if no contact had ever been established at this point. For many reasons, it is in the interest of the "ones in the know" to have the global public believe that "they" may be privy to technologies far advanced from any current or potential "enemies of the state"

Keep 'em guessing. Typical cold war mentality still exists and will never change.

There's not a chance in hell that any hacker is going to find a single file with anything more than weather balloons or swamp gas.

That's my 2 cents,.

That is the thing, it was no super security system, it was a fresh install of Windows Terminal Services, and some numpty forgot to Password the Admin account.

Google "XP Password Admin Account". By default XP has no Admin pasword. All McKinnon had to do was walk through the door. It was not locked. McKinnon thought he was some sort of computer super hacker and left messages of Bravado on peoples screens. It would not have taken much to catch him. The whole thing is so stupid, that in a way, it is funny. He was not clever, he got lucky and thought he was clever.

And you can download the Terminal Services access client for free from Microsoft. Howzat. They give them the system, and the public the keys! I wonder how Bill Gates managed to keep his nose clean through all this.

If others have done it and gotten real UFO information, which I repeat should not be kept secret, then they have not "shared" it with the world.

From WIkipedia

Julian Assange:

"To radically shift regime behaviour we must think clearly and boldly for if we have learned anything, it is that regimes do not want to be changed. We must think beyond those who have gone before us and discover technological changes that embolden us with ways to act in which our forebears could not.""

the more secretive or unjust an organization is, the more leaks induce fear and paranoia in its leadership and planning coterie.... Since unjust systems, by their nature, induce opponents, and in many places barely have the upper hand, mass leaking leaves them exquisitely vulnerable to those who seek to replace them with more open forms of governance."

I thought that such people get recruted to army...

Edit : If he actualy releases any evidence than i'll back him up, otherwise plain and empty words i would have to agree with psyche...

Boons work... ;)

That was his fantasy. It did not work put as planned.........

McKinnion was fascinated by the scenario painted in War Games. He didn’t see the film as a piece of harmless Hollywood entertainment so much as a call to arms. When he read a controversial book – The Hacker’s Handbook, by Hugo Cornwall – on how to break into computers, he was inspired to try it himself. He was obsessed by UFOs and a subscriber to the conspiracy theory that aliens were recovered by the Americans at Roswell, in New Mexico, in 1947.

Inspired by War Games, the 46-year old, who suffers from Asperger’s syndrome, set to work. From the bedroom of his girlfriend’s aunt’s house in north London, he hacked into 97 US military computers.

Between 2001 and 2002, he explored computers at the Pentagon and Nasa looking for evidence of extra-terrestrials. He didn’t find any but, according to the US government, he did leave military computer systems unusable immediately after the September 11 terror attacks.

The US military alleges that he caused £550,000 worth of damage and left 300 computers at a US navy weapons station unusable. He was accused of using his computer skills to gain access to 53 US army computers, including those used for national defence and security, and 26 US navy computers, including those at US Naval Weapons Station Earle, which is responsible for replenishing munitions and supplies for the deployed Atlantic fleet. He was also charged with hacking into 16 Nasa computers and one US Defence Department computer.

McKINNON’S hacking was curtailed in 2002 as he tried to download a grainy black-and-white photograph he believed was an alien spacecraft on a Nasa computer housed in the Johnson Space Centre, in Houston, Texas. But before the download was complete (laughably he was using a 56k modem and not a broadband connection), McKinnon was disconnected.

In his enthusiasm, McKinnon had committed a huge mistake – he had used his own email address – a basic error which led law enforcement officers straight to his door.

LINK

That is not the work of a mastermind..............

Assange is the best bet. If anything does exist, he will be the one to tell the world.

• Like 1

I know that you are wrong about him telling the truth, because with regards to his IT methods he was not.

All he did was tell a tale full of holes. May I ask, what aspect of his tale could you possibly find convincing? Is it just because they intended to make an example of him?

What did he really say that he found? Basically some pictures of UFOs that NASA was covering. Well, that's not surprising since I know that has happened quite a lot anyway.

He also said that he had evidence of a secret space program, but UFO people already knew that existed as well. There was even a Secret Space Program Conference in Amsterdam not too long ago, and people like Ben Rich and others were saying for years that such things existed and that its technology was decades ahead of anything that was publicly available.

So basically all he did was to confirm some things that were already very well known, at least to those who have studied UFOs in an honest and serious way.

He also said that he had very slow equipment wit limited capabilities and that he was not really able to download and save anything. Somehow he just got lucky. No, he is no Julian Assange and evidently did not claim to have any "insider" sources of information telling him where to look and what to look for. Many people in the UFO field have had "help" like that over the years and gotten some valuable information that the public never knew existed.

As far as I know, Assange wasn't even looking for UFO information, though.

From WIkipedia

Julian Assange:

"To radically shift regime behaviour we must think clearly and boldly for if we have learned anything, it is that regimes do not want to be changed. We must think beyond those who have gone before us and discover technological changes that embolden us with ways to act in which our forebears could not.""

the more secretive or unjust an organization is, the more leaks induce fear and paranoia in its leadership and planning coterie.... Since unjust systems, by their nature, induce opponents, and in many places barely have the upper hand, mass leaking leaves them exquisitely vulnerable to those who seek to replace them with more open forms of governance."

I don'y doubt that they trumped up some charges against Assange and launched a smear campaign against him. I have seen it all done before and this was a classic counterintelligence campaign. They had a little task force set up just to go after him and shut him down any way they could.

Similar counterintelligence methods have been used against UFO researchers over the decades, as I have mentioned many times. It's interesting that the charges they had against Gary McKinnon were even tougher than those against Assange, although in both cases they were successful in putting them out of business through threats, intimidation, years if criminal charges and so on. Naturally part of the goal is to discourage others as well.

If McKinnon had found nothing, though, they wouldn't have made such a big production out of this. Not at all. No, he stumbled onto to something that got people very upset.

No one is pulling the wool over my eyes about that.

A little bit off topic but recently there was a TV Movie made about Julian Assange's early life, Especially around the time he apparently hacked into the Pentagon.

It's pretty interesting in some parts, was a little slow too though. I recommend it if anyone is interested.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt2357453/

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julian_Assange#.22Mendax.22_and_the_Nortel_case

The US are currently saying that he did thousands of dollars worth of damage which is totally bogus, 'cause in fact it only comes to about two hundred, and this is what they are trying to extradite him for (another totally bogus statement). What they are really trying to get him for is he made them look stupid and they can't be certain what files he actually copied(so they want torture him to spill) and that would take at least 60 years in guantanamo!

I am so glad that someone in the our parlaiment has some sense to realise the extradition laws are awfully one sided against us Brits! :yes:

I'm not understanding how he saw the files without them being downloaded to his computer. Does he possess some form of telepathy?

I'm not understanding how he saw the files without them being downloaded to his computer. Does he possess some form of telepathy?

He maintains that he only viewed them, which was confirmed in the investigation. Although viewing them does require the download of information, he never downloaded files in their entirety and saved them on his computer. As to why he would take the effort to read files, which he claimed confirmed to some extent ET related info, and not download them completely, is a mystery. Maybe when he saw something he knew might get him in doo-doo, he chickened out.

As for Assange..., well .., he was obviously set up. What woman goes and offers to let him stay with her and then takes him to a party, where she flirts with him all evening and then goes home and sleeps with him. Then almost a week later files a report saying he did'nt use a condom? Also her friend decides to back her up two weeks later! You don't need a law degree to spot the deliberate mistake here!

As for Assange..., well .., he was obviously set up. What woman goes and offers to let him stay with her and then takes him to a party, where she flirts with him all evening and then goes home and sleeps with him. Then almost a week later files a report saying he did'nt use a condom? Also her friend decides to back her up two weeks later! You don't need a law degree to spot the deliberate mistake here!

At least one of the women who accused him doesn't even seem to exist at all, which is not surprising given the type of counterintelligence operation that they had against him.

I've seen it all before many times.

This is how terminal services works. None of the processing actually takes place on the computer which is connecting to the remote system. All that is passed between the two computers are screen shots, mouse, and keyboard. All of the files remain on the remote system. It's kind of like watching TV. Your television doesn't actually save the video media, it just displays what is broadcast (unless you have a DVR or something... so just pretend like you don't for sake of the illustration... :P ).

As an older and wiser man once told me, when you're in intelligence you'll work with the Devil, and when you're in counterintelligence you become the Devil.

On the subject of Assange - if I had the kind of info that others in the past have claimed to have obtained from official sources (ref: ufo's), then Julian Assange wouldn't even be at the bottom of a very long list of people I would go to with it. His track record of protecting his sources is lousy (and that's been polite). I can only assume that is how he has avoided prison to-date, from his convictions 15yrs ago for hacking, through his other 'dubious' computer related activities, he must put no effort into protecting his sources, then put his hands in the air and say "wasn't me, i'm just reporting it..."

Psyche - forgot I had commented on this thread mate, hence not replying to you sooner. But as the points have been covered by others I won't go back and repeat them :tu:

This is how terminal services works. None of the processing actually takes place on the computer which is connecting to the remote system. All that is passed between the two computers are screen shots, mouse, and keyboard. All of the files remain on the remote system. It's kind of like watching TV. Your television doesn't actually save the video media, it just displays what is broadcast (unless you have a DVR or something... so just pretend like you don't for sake of the illustration... :P ).

Ok, maybe I should have said data.

I think the guy is a liar, completely counterproductive to find evidence of some conspiracy only to throw it away.

What did he really say that he found? Basically some pictures of UFOs that NASA was covering. Well, that's not surprising since I know that has happened quite a lot anyway.

Not even that.

He partly viewed a picture that did not complete.

56k-i-hate-you-i-hate-you-i-hate-you.jpg

He also said that he had evidence of a secret space program, but UFO people already knew that existed as well. There was even a Secret Space Program Conference in Amsterdam not too long ago, and people like Ben Rich and others were saying for years that such things existed and that its technology was decades ahead of anything that was publicly available.

And he claims to have viewed a spreadsheet that he claims was called non-terrestrial officers. Which who know, he might have, and it might have been a game some people were playing, or it might have been a list of nicknamed, code-names, or wives names. Thing is not even McKinnon knows. He glanced at some things in a stoned haze through a rubbish connection and made some paranoid assumptions.

So basically all he did was to confirm some things that were already very well known, at least to those who have studied UFOs in an honest and serious way.

Exactly. Some operation huh?

Which he would have learned from the UFO forums he frequented since his younger teen years. At least 15 and up. And what do the younger posters typically represent? Arrogance, and claims they could not possible know about or fulfil. I feel the same way about some high school kid telling me how much he knows about cases like Roswell as much as you like high school kids telling you there is nothing to the phenomena.

He also said that he had very slow equipment wit limited capabilities and that he was not really able to download and save anything. Somehow he just got lucky. No, he is no Julian Assange and evidently did not claim to have any "insider" sources of information telling him where to look and what to look for. Many people in the UFO field have had "help" like that over the years and gotten some valuable information that the public never knew existed.

That does not mean his ISP's would not have a record.

As far as I know, Assange wasn't even looking for UFO information, though.

No, he is looking for anything and everything, not one specific area. If he found UFO papers, we too would have read them by now.

I don'y doubt that they trumped up some charges against Assange and launched a smear campaign against him. I have seen it all done before and this was a classic counterintelligence campaign. They had a little task force set up just to go after him and shut him down any way they could.

Similar counterintelligence methods have been used against UFO researchers over the decades, as I have mentioned many times. It's interesting that the charges they had against Gary McKinnon were even tougher than those against Assange, although in both cases they were successful in putting them out of business through threats, intimidation, years if criminal charges and so on. Naturally part of the goal is to discourage others as well.

If McKinnon had found nothing, though, they wouldn't have made such a big production out of this. Not at all. No, he stumbled onto to something that got people very upset.

No one is pulling the wool over my eyes about that.

Timing had a lot to do with it. And the fact that they had to make a big hullabaloo to cover their own blunders. That Admin account should not have been left open. The computer admins should have been tarred and feathered, but obviously used geek speak to squirm out of trouble with superiors. What he did was show the defence systems to be useless, and I bet there were some multi million dollar decisions to move over to the XP operating system. Like I say that Bill Gates did not get a mention here is astounding, and I have little doubt a lot to do with the hullabaloo. Businesses have been protesting about the insecurity of Windows software, an indeed even here in Australia have had contingents at the airports waiting to meet him to ask him why they paid so much for such an insecure system, top that of with the fact that no proper admin was involved to set the system up (not included in the price maybe?), and some high profile backsides that I expected to cop a roasting never got a mention. I think there is some dirty play at work, but not related to UFO's. Business deals. And worth a pretty penny I bet. That is how they managed to justify a massive bill against McKinnon for repairs in the courts system. I strongly suspect that much of the alleged "damage" was supposed to be initial set up that was never completed.

Assange has upset a whole different group of people altogether.

The US are currently saying that he did thousands of dollars worth of damage which is totally bogus, 'cause in fact it only comes to about two hundred, and this is what they are trying to extradite him for (another totally bogus statement). What they are really trying to get him for is he made them look stupid and they can't be certain what files he actually copied(so they want torture him to spill) and that would take at least 60 years in guantanamo!

I am so glad that someone in the our parlaiment has some sense to realise the extradition laws are awfully one sided against us Brits! :yes:

Rubbish.

You would not even get an IT admin worth his salt to make a site visit for that.

The damage was intense, I have no doubt about that, but I just do not think the systems was put together properly to begin with, creating something of a house of cards.

I suspect many people learned lessons from this.

Like Boon said, it is indeed remote, you are just seeing a picture of what is happening on the server, unless the admins have installed paperclip (pretty sure that is the name of the patch) to allow you to transfer the files between machines. Not sure that it worked so good on the first versions of terminal services, I remember a few late nights just getting the rotten thing up and running. The earlier versions were ...... challenging.

I have not tried doing a screen shot though, that might have worked for him. If he had viewed a file he wanted to keep.

I never doubted that he was telling the truth, or that many people were incredibly lax about computer security--so much so that he just broke into their systems without too much trouble. Maybe he just got lucky, but it certainly upset and embarrassed a lot of people.

He was looking for UFO information and he got it. I'm not at all surprised to find that NASA alters or destroys UFO pictures because people have been saying that for decades. They have never given a straight answer on one single UFO case yet, but have been caught in lie after lie after lie.

Nor did it shock me to learn that we had a secret space program with very advanced technology since the military space missions existed even before NASA and people like Ben Rich and his colleagues said 20 years ago that such advanced technology already existed.

it wasn't luck when he hacked into there systems it was skill.