Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Scientists turn fresh air in to petrol

Saru

A company in Britain has developed a revolutionary technique that can convert air in to gasoline.

Being able to capture carbon dioxide from the air, and effectively remove the principal industrial greenhouse gas resulting from the burning of fossil fuels such as oil and coal, has been the holy grail of the emerging green economy.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 4

It does sound too good to be true! Just imagine how amazing for the world this could be! Stockton-on-Tees is holding the 'holy grail' LOL!

Edited by Star of the Sea
  • Like 1

I wonder how much electricity is actually needed to do this. Might not be as good as it sounds. I know they were talking about maybe having renewable energy to help but it might end up being unfeasible.

• Like 1

It would be brilliant if its true.

Just hope that its not too expensive on the forecourt and starts a price war

Bet this goes silent. Won't hear anymore of this soon.

Every year I hear loads of new discoveries like "car runs on water" etc etc and nothing comes of it. You think the oil/gas companies would allow that?! They would pay A LOT of money to shut this sort of thing up.

Just look at this for instance:

You could easily run power plants of of thousands of these things.

Funny how we use rubbish eco windmills which don't evne work half the time yet these things keep going and going and going.

• Like 1

Wow, that's just amazing. Hope it turns-out to be feasable/profitable on a large scale.

And Coffey, jesus you can be so paranoid at times.

oh never mind, that's why your a self-confirmed conspiracy theorist anyway.

• Like 1

The Oil and Gas lobby in the US will never let it happen... :td: Like growing hemp instead of cutting trees...Lobbyists YUCK!!

• Like 1

Oh great now we will get charge for using air...geesh

The fact that carbon dioxide can be reversed to hydrocarbons (i.e. Petrol) by running it through a catalyzer with hydrogen is nothing new. It would be new if this could be done in an energy efficient way. And there is where the doubts start.

• Like 2

Very surprised that this got out, if it happened here in the US they (the Scientists) would have disappeared and nothing would have been heard.

Wow, that's just amazing. Hope it turns-out to be feasable/profitable on a large scale.

And Coffey, jesus you can be so paranoid at times.

oh never mind, that's why your a self-confirmed conspiracy theorist anyway.

I'm actually not a paranoid person at all. All my ex's can confirm this. LOL

I'm jsut good at smelling BS, having most of my family in the oil industry I know how it works.

I'm more worried about OPEC. The US gas producers will build a plant if they can sell gasoline. They don't care where it comes from, oil or air.

The sad thing is this business will probably be supressed by the oil companies, just like hydrogen. Since everyone has access to water, air and electricity you could produce your own (like you can very easily and cheaply with hydrogen). The oil nazis and governments will never allow that willingly since they wouldn't be able to keep squeezing every penny out of us for fuel.

The people researching this need to NEVER sell out. Only offering it to motorsport to start with is quite smart though, since it will get a foot hold in the economy without having to go through all the same processes as it would if it was to be a fuel for road vehicles.

Edited by Finity
  • Like 1

The article is BS. Of course, it can be done, but it requires more energy input than the potential output of the produced fuel. This is simply another re-incarnation of the Perpetual Motion Machine. Grow up, people.

Actually, on second thought there could be a niche market for it in case of "green energy" sources that are removed from the public grid (e.g. the much-touted but so far unrealistic "desertec" solar plan). But even then I would very much doubt that it is economically feasible.

The article is BS. Of course, it can be done, but it requires more energy input than the potential output of the produced fuel. This is simply another re-incarnation of the Perpetual Motion Machine. Grow up, people.

Yes, but making regular petrol also needs electricity to make AND creates toxic gases (other than Co2) which need to be cleaned. Plus all the energy needed to extract the oil in the first place. So this new way could be far more profitable, you have almost unlimited raw materials and less waste.

Edited by Finity

It's ridiculous of course.

They should have sold it to the yanks or the Germans then it would have been taken seriously.