Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]The first Native American saint

Still Waters

On Sunday, the Catholic Church will canonize its first ever Native American saint, Kateri Tekakwitha. Sometimes known as Lily of the Mohawks, she died more than 300 years ago, but is thought by some to have performed a miracle as recently as 2006.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/magazine-19996957

• Like 1

She had a hard life.

Edited by Hilander

On Sunday, the Catholic Church will canonize its first ever Native American saint, Kateri Tekakwitha. Sometimes known as Lily of the Mohawks, she died more than 300 years ago, but is thought by some to have performed a miracle as recently as 2006.

http://www.bbc.co.uk...gazine-19996957

This is more bull****. First Native American saint, lived thoulsands of years ago. but, maybe this is a good start?
  • Like 1

This is more bull****. First Native American saint, lived thoulsands of years ago. but, maybe this is a good start?

I have to agree with you there. It would seem the church is not finished trying to convert us heathens.

The Native Americans I know for the most part are returning to their old faiths. I know one who is Catholic. I don't think the Vatican is going to make any brownie points with this.

There have and do exist many many saint like native holy men. They do not need a faith based on middle eastern mythology a world away to recognize them. Might I remind people that it was Christians that committed genocide against the native Americans. Now I don't hold faiths responsible for the acts of people, but it's just interesting how this fact is ignored. If the Nazis suddenly promoted a jew to their upper ranks, what should the Jews think about that?

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 3

I have to agree with you there. It would seem the church is not finished trying to convert us heathens.

Convert you? I have never in my life heard of any Catholic church trying to convert... At least not over here.. Way they see it, if you are not born one...tough.. Yea people can convert over to their church..but the church over in these parts are not concerned with converting others..

Edited by Beckys_Mom
  • Like 1

I was hoping it would be Kicking Bird....

oh...its a catholic thing....I dont think Kicking Bird was....

Convert you? I have never in my life heard of any Catholic church trying to convert... At least not over here.. Way they see it, if you are not born one...tough.. Yea people can convert over to their church..but the church over in these parts are not concerned with converting others..

Mehhh.... Catholics are Christians.. Same thing to me really.

Her own people shunned her for converting. This is more about honoring her and the choices she made than it is about honoring any group of people.

Mehhh.... Catholics are Christians.. Same thing to me really.

Yes..but not the kind that go around trying to convert you.. Where I come from, only one kind of Christians that will do that...the born again..and the born again agains lol

• Like 1

Yes..but not the kind that go around trying to convert you.. Where I come from, only one kind of Christians that will do that...the born again..and the born again agains lol

I see, you have never met a missionary. But yes the Catholics do have more poise... But then again they have been at it longer.

How's the little one by the way?

Edited by Seeker79

Too little too late in light of the history of the Catholic Church and it's treatment of people they sent themselves to convert. As late as the mid 19th century the Catholic church still participated in enslaving Native peoples in South America (Peru specifically) by the tradition of the mita. They used them as slave labor under the guise that they were souless heathens. Same thing with the treatment of untold thousands of Native American children from many tribes that were abused, molested and stripped of their language by Catholic (and other faiths) Mission schools. I think canonization of one Native American isn't doing much to make up for all the pain the Catholic church has to answer for that they caused to Native peoples whenever they came into contact with them.

• Like 1

Actually, to be beatified, you have to be submitted by a member of the lay community.

• Like 1

"VATICAN CITYJake Finkbonner was so close to death after flesh-eating bacteria infected him through a cut on his lip that his parents had last rites performed and were discussing donating the 5-year-old's tiny organs. Jake is fully convinced, as is the church, that the prayers his family and community offered to Kateri, including the placement of a relic of the soon-to-be saint on Jake's leg, were responsible for his survival."

http://www.msnbc.msn...e/#.UIPgX8V6usg

The question here, is did the Catholic church use this boy's struggle with the flesh eating bacteria to their advantage? Native Americans are more interested in spirituality now than before but there's resentment of adopting "white man's" religion. If one of the saints is a Native...well.. just seems like a come-on. Glad the kid's ok, though.

I see, you have never met a missionary.

Actually I have a number of times.,.. ( Raphael ..was a friend of my dad ) He was more into charity work ( the CLM ) than concerned with converting anyone.. A catholic priest turned us away when we approached him ( Father Brown ) to baptise Becky.. it was because Gary was not cathoilic, and he doubted me lol.. We ended up getting a protestant minister of his family church instead... That minister is long gone.. Apparently I am going to have trouble having Aaron baptised.. According to Garys mother and his aunt who take Becky to church, say that the new minister is more strict and he could well say no to baptising Aaron.. They said I would need to join their church.. I cannot do that...I don't see how that can set us back... But we'll see.. If he says no, then sod it

How's the little one by the way?

Aaron is just over 5 months now..He is doing well..sleeps all night. .But he is strong...If he grabs your hair ohh my !!.. He is always laughing... It is a lot different raising a boy than it is raising a girl... I think he is higher maintenance more than Becky ever was....Very needy.and greedy.... I call him - Needy Mc Greedy lol This Halloween I wanted to get him a little Yoda ( Star Wars ) costume, but his dad insists on a ghost or a bumbler bee...

Edited by Beckys_Mom