Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

A weird experience while lying in bed.

Skeptic Chicken

So, I was lying in bed, really tired, when all of a sudden I was thinking about a scene I had seen on CSI: Miami, where an 8 year old was having her teeth bleached by her mother.

Then, I started having this REALLY strange experience. I smelt chemical, my teeth felt like they were being pulled, and my gums were burning. I have no idea what it's like to have teeth bleached, but I can only assume it'd be close, most likely worse, than what I was feeling.

And I'm fairly certain it wasn't sleep paralysis, as I was able to roll over with ease while thinking about it.

Does anyone know if memories or thoughts can cause sensation like that? I know that you can think of a food's taste and smell, and it'll make your mouth water, but it felt just so much MORE real than what it's like to remember a smell or taste.

The mind cannot tell the difference between what's real and what was clearly imagined.

I'm paraphrasing.

I don't know :rolleyes:

Edited by Mnemonix
  • Like 1

I've had several experiences when someone has been telling me about a pain they have, and I've suddenly got a strong pain in the same place on my body as they are talking about regarding their body. That's the nearest thing to what you're talking about, that I've experienced. I guess it's an extension of thinking of something funny that makes you laugh, or something sad that makes you cry ..... you've just taken it to another level! :tsu:

• Like 1

I bet you visited that magical place in-between sleep and waking state. Where I'd guess that any combination of wakeful vs. sleepy scenarios can possibly play out. What a cool thing it would be if we could harness that state, and control it.

• Like 1

the brain is a power thing man, it can do crazy things, theres alot about the brain that we dont know

• Like 1

Yes the brain is a powerful thing. Sometimes I feel other peoples pain, especially if I see them hurt.

• Like 1

I didnt think we're allowed to talk about the weird experiences we've had while lying in bed....

• Like 1

I didnt think we're allowed to talk about the weird experiences we've had while lying in bed....

You're a mule for goodness' sake! When did you last lie in a bed(that wasn't made of straw).

You're a mule for goodness' sake! When did you last lie in a bed(that wasn't made of straw).

We mules lie in beds quite often. Usually when the owners aren't home. We're tricky like that...

• Like 2

The paralysis is not always present for the illusion. If I stay up late enough, I can count on hearing indistinct conversations or non-sequitors at that magical ( :) ) time.

I rarely get visual hypnagogia, and the one tactile sensation I can recall was a brief vibration ( slightly vertiginous), as I was instructed to expect, as it heralds the onset of our natural paralysis during sleep.

I don't see why any sense should be excluded from the phenomena.

Sounds not at all dissimilar to some experiances I've had..

There's a wee little magic zone between... er, I think it's between beta and gamma levels of consciousness where thoughts have a habit of physically manefesting themselves.. It's usually associated with a hissing sensation or feeling as well. well, with me it is anyway..

I tend to agree with _Only, it's a very specific point of consiousness where weirdness can occur..

It was a dream. You were in the twilight state of sleep when you're still in a dream state but you're also aware of where you are.

They can be much worse. When I was young several times I woke up with the sensation of bugs crawling down my throat. I would continue to feel them as I tried to cough them up. Eventually I realized they weren't real.

As mnemonix pointed out, the brain doesn't know the difference between 'reality' and 'imagination', or so we currently think, and can produce sensations to match your imaginings or visualizations. This is based on my personal experience. Depends on how your data processing unit is wired.

One question for you - are you a synesthete?

As mnemonix pointed out, the brain doesn't know the difference between 'reality' and 'imagination', or so we currently think, and can produce sensations to match your imaginings or visualizations. This is based on my personal experience. Depends on how your data processing unit is wired.

One question for you - are you a synesthete?

I had no idea what a 'synesthete' was, so I googled it .......... and I discover I am one! hahaha! You learn something new everyday, they say.

A similar thing happens to me whenever I'm in my anaestesia and euthanasia class, when I think about the drugs we're learning about my teeth and gums go numb and I can almost taste a medicinal taste. It's just because you were thinking about it and what it would feel like, well at least that's what I think.

A similar thing happens to me whenever I'm in my anaestesia and euthanasia class, when I think about the drugs we're learning about my teeth and gums go numb and I can almost taste a medicinal taste. It's just because you were thinking about it and what it would feel like, well at least that's what I think.

There's a class to learn about euthanasia? :o

This type of thing happens to me all the time Skeptic Chicken. Even if I'm watching TV and someone gets hurt, I instantly feel the exact type of pain that injury would cause in me if it happened to me. I get bolled over with people's emotions too.

That statement would mean the mind is a sentient being apart from "us"... How does that work exactly?

I think that means the subconscious. Its job is to present a simplified perception of reality to our thinking minds so they won't get overloaded with information. Sometimes it's fooled (optical illusions) and sometimes it simplifies things too much.

That statement would mean the mind is a sentient being apart from "us"... How does that work exactly?

You really can't imagine how that would work?

Edited by _Only

I was asking a leading question. I can imagine it. I was trying to get the sceptics to notice that they themselves acknowledge the phenomenon yet remain curiously and paradoxically unwilling to acknowledge it...lol..

I was asking a leading question. I can imagine it. I was trying to get the sceptics to notice that they themselves acknowledge the phenomenon yet remain curiously and paradoxically unwilling to acknowledge it...lol..

Skeptics readily acknowledge that the subconscious mind can fool a person's judgement.

• Like 1

Yes the brain is a powerful thing. Sometimes I feel other peoples pain, especially if I see them hurt.

I definitely know what you mean. One example is seeing those who talk at funerals and break down when they are trying to stand strong. It's like I feel the same break.