Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Waking up at 3 with bad nightmares?

LostSouls7

Well I know someone a buddy of mine who tells me he can't sleep nights. And often wakes up with bad nightmares at 3 or 4 am?

He's been into more occult things lately. Do you think this is bad ghosts and or demons not letting him sleep?

maybe a ghost? What could have started this and why?

Please any help on the matter would be great!

It could be that because he has been dabbling in darker things, his subconscious is starting to pester him about whether it's a good thing to be doing so he's getting warnings/fears manifested via dreams from within. That's the (good!) possibility, the other one is much more unwelcome! There could be a (or a couple) negative entity that has latched onto him if he was careless or reckless in his occult travels.

This is all presuming he's been heavily involved and not just looking into things and such. As others would tell you, he will know about it if something is trying to intefere with him. With no further information, I think it's likely to be unconscious thoughts about the topic, which can feed speculation when you are scared.

• Like 1

He has just been looking into occult theories and how it's related to the real world.

Like conspiracty 2012, end of the world crap.

I think it's just an obsession with reading beliving their is occult secrets.

And maybe it;s manifesting as nightmares from the obsession with beliving that is all real...

Hopefully it's just nightmares and no entities..

It seems quite likely that he is scaring himself with his occult readings, which is stopping him from sleeping properly.

I am often awake at 3 am, as I have difficulty sleeping sometimes with my ankylosing spondylitis (google it, heh) and I haven't found anything spooky about late at night whatsoever.

I am not sure if you are implying the witching hour, since it's a popular yet complete oxymoron myth.

The witching hour can be dismissed with one question: Which 3am is the correct 3am? England? Scottland? U.S.A East or west coast? etc. The world runs on a 24 hour clock, so which time is the right time for the witching hour? For example let's say that 3 am in canada would be 5am in the USA, 7pm in australia. I never heard some one from an Australian tell every one that he/she was a sleep at 6pm and keep waking up at 7pm because of the witching hour. What about Day light savings? time changes that sort of thing doesn't get considered either. Does the ghosts/devils/monsters/witches know and make appointments?

As for you or your friend or loved one, It's all in the mind, Have read or watch something else and have him not drink sugary drinks.

• Like 2

Yes I think you are right. Well has nothing to do with the witching hour. Bascially he says he can't sleep at night..

and has fear.. it can be 1 am 2 am... 3.. or 5 am..

but the wakes up and then cant sleep.

He sleeps fine in the day or at other's houses. Which is what I find strange.

Or like you said it could just all be in the mind.

He shouldn't watch movies like "The Exorcism of Emily Rose" (3AM is an important and 'evil' moment of the day in that movie).

Have him try melatonin. It's in the vitamin section and is all natural. Does wonders for me and no hangover effect the next day.

• Like 2

3 AM?! I hate 3 AM! Seriously, whats wrong with this hour?!

Nothing.

As the near insomniac I am I can tell you there is nothing to worry about.

I even watch horror movies around that time.

Nothing.

For me it is.

Its a date.

Have him try melatonin. It's in the vitamin section and is all natural. Does wonders for me and no hangover effect the next day.

Physical exercise, and/or long walks in some forest/park late at night will do it.

For me it is.

Its a date.

I don't get that. What worries you about 3 AM? Seen too many scary movies, maybe?

4AM is the Kevin Bacon hour. if he catches you awake, he will make you watch all his movies he starred in.

Wait, that is AWESOME!

• Like 3

Nothing.

Yep I've gotta agree with this post

I'm often awake around this time & never seen anything wierd or possibly demonic so far :)

I am not sure if you are implying the witching hour, since it's a popular yet complete oxymoron myth.

The witching hour can be dismissed with one question: Which 3am is the correct 3am? England? Scottland? U.S.A East or west coast? etc. The world runs on a 24 hour clock, so which time is the right time for the witching hour?

This does not fit the definition of an oxymoron.

Your point can be dismissed by simply pointing out that blasphemy, which is the driving force behind this, does not depend on absolute time. Blasphemy is symbolic. It simply does not matter which 3am we are talking about. IOW, a blasphemer can blaspheme at 3am 24 times a day.

This does not fit the definition of an oxymoron.

Your point can be dismissed by simply pointing out that blasphemy, which is the driving force behind this, does not depend on absolute time. Blasphemy is symbolic. It simply does not matter which 3am we are talking about. IOW, a blasphemer can blaspheme at 3am 24 times a day.

nickcage.jpeg

Did you read what you wrote? Do you even understand the whole concept of the witching hour?

With a modern literal meaning of "midnight,"[1] the term witching hour refers to the time of day when supernatural creatures such as witches, demons, and ghosts are thought to appear and to be at their most powerful and black magic to be most effective. It may be used to refer to any arbitrary time of bad luck or in which something bad has a greater likelihood to occur (e.g., a baby crying,[2] a computer crashing,[3] or stock market volatility[4]).

One of the earliest, if not the first, appearances this term makes is in Washington Irving's short story The Legend of Sleepy Hollow. Here, Irving uses "witching hour" and "witching time" interchangeably.[5] Both terms reference midnight, and are used to conjure in readers a sense of supernatural anxiety. There is little evidence the term has had any practical use prior to this, and that Irving coined the phrase after having grown up around New England and touring areas where the Salem Witch Trials took place.

People say that they wake up at three AM because of the witching hour. it is a frame of mind of waking themselves up like an internal clock.

So Oxymoron,

ox·y·mo·ron

   [ok-si-mawr-on, -mohr-] Show IPA, ox·y·mor·ons. Rhetoric .

a figure of speech by which a locution produces an incongruous, seemingly self-contradictory effect, as in “cruel kindness” or “to make haste slowly.”

So yes saying the witching hour happens at 3am until 4am is oxymoron because in the world there always will be a 3am some where but it is assumed there is only one time of 3am where the ghosts are the strongest, thankfully there is no demons except in our minds.

Let's talk about your theory, By saying that since three am is every where, wouldn't ghosts or demons and witches will ALWAYS be powerful no matter what time because it is three am some where (Luckily there is no such thing as demons or witches that go around casting spells and claiming to be a level 6 priest, eh?). If I use your logic, I can open a bar and serve beer every day at any time (including Sundays mornings) because some where in the world it is the legal time to drink and not get arrested.

As for your Blaspheming blasphemers, well since the witching hour is for witches, demons and ghosts and the only mortal version is the witches, I honestly don't see them going around bad mouthing god all day.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

nickcage.jpeg

Did you read what you wrote? Do you even understand the whole concept of the witching hour?

People say that they wake up at three AM because of the witching hour. it is a frame of mind of waking themselves up like an internal clock.

So Oxymoron,

[/color]

So yes saying the witching hour happens at 3am until 4am is oxymoron because in the world there always will be a 3am some where but it is assumed there is only one time of 3am where the ghosts are the strongest, thankfully there is no demons except in our minds.

Let's talk about your theory, By saying that since three am is every where, wouldn't ghosts or demons and witches will ALWAYS be powerful no matter what time because it is three am some where (Luckily there is no such thing as demons or witches that go around casting spells and claiming to be a level 6 priest, eh?). If I use your logic, I can open a bar and serve beer every day at any time (including Sundays mornings) because some where in the world it is the legal time to drink and not get arrested.

As for your Blaspheming blasphemers, well since the witching hour is for witches, demons and ghosts and the only mortal version is the witches, I honestly don't see them going around bad mouthing god all day.

If i had say a billion dollars that you needed, and i told you that you could have it for free, no questions asked and that all you had to do was be awake at precisely 3am... im sure you could work it out... :no:

If i had say a billion dollars that you needed, and i told you that you could have it for free, no questions asked and that all you had to do was be awake at precisely 3am... im sure you could work it out... :no:

If I used Clays concept and you gave me that proposition, i could easily google the world time and then put my hand out and say give it to me now it's 3am in Germany.

You are moving away from point about the witching hour. There is no exact time for the witching hour because of time zones and lack of knowledge of the exact origin of the Witching Hour except it had started some where in Europe.

The problem is (I hate have to repeat myself) that people will come on here (except this thread) and imply they or someone they know is waking up at 3am their time because of the witching hour. Now those people saying that is not going by europe's time but their own time.

Witching hour is just stupidity in it self and should not be taken seriously.

Edited by Brian Topp
  • Like 1

Physical exercise, and/or long walks in some forest/park late at night will do it.

Yeah I do that too, but melatonin is a natural supplement that helps the body sleep if you are having trouble. Just trying to help.

• Like 1

I still don't think you understand what an oxymoron is. The incongruity results from combining words that normally have opposite meanings. An oxymoron may only seemingly be incongruous. No matter ...

Obviously it is not 3am at the same location all day.

I still don't think you understand what an oxymoron is. The incongruity results from combining words that normally have opposite meanings. An oxymoron may only seemingly be incongruous. No matter ...

I see what Brian is saying. By saying 'Witching Hour' it is an oxymoron because it is not 3am the same location every day so the words do have opposite meanings to use your definition.

i never stated that.

i never stated that.

LOL, just noticed that. Damn I need an aspirin.

• Like 1