Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

I have a question

orangepeaceful79

My question is of the information seeking variety. It is not a challenge, nor is it snarky or sarcastic in any way. My question is this; can anyone provide documentation of an instance in history where a conspiracy theorist deduced that there was a conspiracy afoot, outed the conspiracy and that the world was changed for the better as a result? That is, that there was a material difference made, or policy shift for the better, or something of that nature?

Thanks for humoring my curiosity.

• Like 1

I'd say no,

Thats why there called a

Conspiracy Theory.

Thanks,

Edited by Super-Fly

Oddly enough, I have been pretty bad at finding what you have asked for. The closest is the The Tuskegee Syphilis Study (TSS for the rest of my post), though I am unsure if any Theories about it.

I believe in all honesty that you've asked for something that cannot be given (Not that you meant for that outcome?), as I cannot think of any Theory that was later proven true, but many conspiracies that have been released into public record. I mean, sure, perhaps a few people thought the Government was messing with the victims of the TSS, but I found zero records of anyone saying anything to that effect.

Block sox scandal of 1919?

Not sure that kicking buck weaver and joe jackson out of baseball was a positive, but appointed kennisaw landis as commish was a step in the right direction for the future of the game.

• Like 2

Are you looking for something that's on a grand scale or a smaller one? As The Mule mentioned.. As I understand conspiracy theories, and a conspiracy theorist is welcome to correct me if I'm wrong, to be a conspiracy theory, one first has to either come to an idea on his or her own or someone could share the idea with another. The theory has to be believed by more than one person to be a theory. So, an example is the 1919 World Series. Hugh Fullerton was told by another individual, who was "in the know" that the World Series was going to be fixed. He watched the series and looked for deliberate "mistakes", and found many throughout. He wrote an article, which caused the investigation to begin. It has been proven that there was a conspiracy to throw the series, and before the proof was provided, this made Fullerton a conspiracy theorist. So, yes, there have been instances where conspiracy theorists have uncovered conspiracies and made a difference.

• Like 2

I was going to say Watergate too. Laws were changed because of that.

• Like 1

The only one that comes to mind is the persistent claim during the Cold War that the USSR was funding all sorts of left-wing activity in the UK. Therefore, anything left-wing was a Communist conspiracy.

Come glasnost, this claim was shown to be true:

In November 1991, shortly before the CPGB was wound up, its members were shocked by revelations that between 1956 and the late 1970s, it had been secretly funded by the Soviet Union. The money came in the form of bundles of cash handed to the party's then deputy general secretary Reuben Falber by a Soviet embassy official.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-politics-18351323

However, the change for the better is elusive.

• Like 1

I'd imagine that you never hear of people releasing their truths (proof of a conspiracy) to the public, because the moment they do, they get bumped off as it were. Especially if the conspiracy involves the government.

Did JFK not try to prove a conspiracy? And look what happened to him.

Then theres Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, etc.

I'd imagine that you never hear of people releasing their truths (proof of a conspiracy) to the public, because the moment they do, they get bumped off as it were. Especially if the conspiracy involves the government.

Did JFK not try to prove a conspiracy? And look what happened to him.

Then theres Martin Luther King, Malcolm X, etc.

Thats why i asked for examples of people who did, and a difference was made as a result. Because honestly most conspiracy theories never seem to make a material difference whatsoever. Thanks.

Thats why i asked for examples of people who did, and a difference was made as a result. Because honestly most conspiracy theories never seem to make a material difference whatsoever. Thanks.

Maybe Alex Jones has proven a conspiracy? He supposedly snuck into the Bohemian Grove and saw a ritual of some kind taking place. Also, it may be worth noting that some claim Alex is just a government-payed shill actually working for the Illuminati. (cult that is a part of/inside the government.) Edited by Insaniac

My question is of the information seeking variety. It is not a challenge, nor is it snarky or sarcastic in any way. My question is this; can anyone provide documentation of an instance in history where a conspiracy theorist deduced that there was a conspiracy afoot, outed the conspiracy and that the world was changed for the better as a result? That is, that there was a material difference made, or policy shift for the better, or something of that nature?

Thanks for humoring my curiosity.

P2 Conspiracy

Mason, the Mob, the Vatican and Italian Politics, all sent in place by NATO's (CIA's) Operation Gladio.

Edit: I didn't fully read your original post. P2 was discovered by prosecutors, not conspiracy theorists. Sorry about that.

Even Operation Watchtower( the CIA drug running, not the WWII battle) in the wake of the whole Iran-Contra scandal was exposed by a journalist and an informant.

I can't find any conspiracy theorists that have proven any conspiracies.

Edited by Imaginarynumber1
  • Like 1

Even Operation Watchtower( the CIA drug running, not the WWII battle) in the wake of the whole Iran-Contra scandal was exposed by a journalist and an informant.

I can't find any conspiracy theorists that have proven any conspiracies.

Taking the above as being true; the journalist had a theory there was shenanigans going on based on the evidence he had so set about gathering more, irrefutable evidence to prove it was more than a just a theory. Is that not a "successful" conspiracy theorist?

Taking the above as being true; the journalist had a theory there was shenanigans going on based on the evidence he had so set about gathering more, irrefutable evidence to prove it was more than a just a theory. Is that not a "successful" conspiracy theorist?

An informant contacted him.

Katherine K. Young states "(t)he fact remains, however, that not all conspiracies are imagined by paranoids. Historians show that every real conspiracy has had at least four characteristic features: groups, not isolated individuals; illegal or sinister aims, not ones that would benefit society as a whole; orchestrated acts, not a series of spontaneous and haphazard ones; and secret planning, not public discussion."

Source: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conspiracy_theory#Proven_conspiracies_and_conspiracy_theories

Because honestly most conspiracy theories never seem to make a material difference whatsoever.

why bother? ..is that what you're saying?

..well, what are you saying?

i feel a bit like one of those douchebag scientists at the zoo, one of these monkeys almost said something that made sense.. or a parrot just spoke, i'm left wondering if it understands what it just said?

because honestly, if all these (dead and living) folks trying to unmask the conspiracy aren't at least giving you an overall impression of what it entails, then hey, i'm right with you on that ~ why bother indeed.

why bother? ..is that what you're saying?

..well, what are you saying?

i feel a bit like one of those douchebag scientists at the zoo, one of these monkeys almost said something that made sense.. or a parrot just spoke, i'm left wondering if it understands what it just said?

because honestly, if all these (dead and living) folks trying to unmask the conspiracy aren't at least giving you an overall impression of what it entails, then hey, i'm right with you on that ~ why bother indeed.

I was revisiting my feelings on conspiracy theory. I've pretty much always regarded them as fringe imaginings of people which never amount to any actual change, and so in my estimation are truly pointless. BUT I wanted to ask the question of whether in fact, any conspiracy had actually gone so far as to accomplish something meaningful other than to give potheads something to argue about while passing a bong around. I like to re-evaluate my beliefs from time to time just to make sure that the evidence available still supports them.

The results, in this case at least, seem mixed. I'm pretty confident still that most conspiracy theories are 99% pointless thought exercises. And the 1% that might actually be true are pretty much unactionable, rendering us back to...well... pointless.

For example (because I love to give examples) lets look at HAARP. Could the government have a top secret weather controlling facility in the upper northern US? Sure. But what the #%&@ are you gonna do about it? Get Chuck Norris to lead a crack team of commandos up there to blow it up? Who gives a crap? If you can't change it, what does it matter if its true or not? The end result is the same.

In the final analysis, I'm back where I started. Results matter - conspiracy theories don't.

• Like 3

Who gives a crap? If you can't change it, what does it matter if its true or not? The end result is the same.

In the final analysis, I'm back where I started. Results matter - conspiracy theories don't.

you're just being lazy here.. or what was the thing that motivated *me* to uncovering it for myself?

oh, that's right, people like me are just "nuts", right?

a persons judgement is only as good as their information..

..are you saying you're fully informed?

i'm not.. i still learn new things every day.. but as for the overall agenda, why they're doing what they're doing.. it makes sense to me.. we live in the same world, do we not? ...i wonder what the difference is between us? it might have something to do with the part where "you don't give a crap"?

i also liked the part where you expect proof (from chuck norris?), but you know you're up against a deceptive opponent anyway.. perhaps this is another insight, you want someone to save you, i'm all for just saving myself..

ever been bird watching? ..after a while you don't even need to *see* them because you've become familiar with their calls, know what i mean? so you're looking for a bird that doesn't want to be found.. but it exists.. you know that.. "we" know that..

no lazy tweeter ever saw his elusive quarry.. seek and you *will* find..

you'd be suprised who smokes bongs.. i certainly was :whistle:

Heya, Unit. i speak for myself only. i asked the question for my own information and am satisfied with what i recieved.

i'm not laying judgement on anyone who believes in conspiracy theories. heck i'm not even saying that some of them aren't true. in the grand scheme of things, they just don't fall in the pile of stuff i worry about. i have other worries much more pressing.

i guess in a way its nice that someone is out there doing the worrying for me. so maybe i should just thank you (conspiracy theorists) for looking out for the rest of everybody else the government and the illuminati are silently and secretly bent on killing in treacherous ways.

i guess that makes me lazy. throw me in the corral with all the other sheeple.

thanks for reading. have a lovely day. i know i will.