Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Who won the 3rd Presidential debate

Raptor Witness

Who won the 3rd Presidential debate  

31 members have voted

1. 1. Who won the 3rd Presidential debate

• President Obama won
    • Mitt Romney won
    • Neither candidate won, it was a tie

I felt that President Obama won, largely because he seemed more prepared, and he kept his voice lower than in the second debate. The undecided monitors I saw on CNN that register sentiment during the debate seemed to favor Obama, especially among women, but with men he was equal or lower than Romney.

I felt that President Obama's strongest remarks were that his openness towards the Islamic world early in his Presidency provided more credibility, and thus, more stability in the region longer term.

I felt that Romney's strongest remarks were virtually nonexistent in terms of foreign policy. I saw no clear distinction from the President with any realistic, better options. Only that he would have moved sooner against Iran.

I felt that President Obama's weak point was when Romney challenged his handling of the Iranian Green Revolution. It may well have been a missed opportunity.

I felt that Romney's weakest point was his lack of distinction on almost every subject, with the President. He basically agreed with most of Obama's foreign policy decisions, and this made him appear weak.

Edited by Raptor Witness

What else did you expect bud? They're both pitching for the same team......I thought they both won....at fraudung the nation that they are any different on foreign policy.....a complete sham

• Like 4

Missed this debate...

Missed this debate...

Didn't miss much. Romney just agreed with everything Obama has done with foreign policy and tried and failed to call him out about not supporting Israel.

• Like 1

Didn't miss much. Romney just agreed with everything Obama has done with foreign policy and tried and failed to call him out about not supporting Israel.

I guess we will call that an Obama win...

http://www.realclear...were_petty.html

Romney Won Unequivocally; Obama's Responses Were Petty
I think it's unequivocal, Romney won. And he didn't just win tactically, but strategically. Strategically, all he needed to do is basically draw. He needed to continue the momentum he's had since the first debate, and this will continue it. Tactically, he simply had to get up there and show that he's a competent man, somebody who you could trust as commander in chief, a who knows every area of the globe and he gave interesting extra details, like the Haqqani network, which gave the impression he knows what he's talking about. But there is a third level here, and that is what actually happened in the debate.

We can argue about the small points and the debating points. Romney went large, Obama went very, very small, shockingly small.

Romney made a strategic decision not go after the president on Libya, or Syria, or other areas where Obama could accuse him of being a Bush-like war monger.

I think Krauthammer is right, he was critical of Romney's performance in the second debate, but not here, seeing the bigger picture of performance and appearance over continual attacks.

For the life of me I could not understand what Romney was doing in the debate agreeing with Obama so much, not going after him on Libya, it was baffling.

After listening to Krauthammer I now I realize what he did; by not allowing himself to be painted as a war monger, but a strong bringer of peace instead, he targeted and quite possibly just locked up a large chunk of the undecided/independent vote.

Very shrewed, very shrewed indeed!

Edited by Socio

Great debate at least it was fair:) it seems there were not much differences on Obama or Rommy views on foreign affairs, except Rommey says Obama`s to weak and Obama says Rommy `s to forceful:) in any case Rommy acted more Pesidentual.

Edited by docyabut2
  • Like 1

Missed this debate...

Lucky you. They both basically said the same things, except how hard the war drums should be beaten.

What else did you expect bud? They're both pitching for the same team......I thought they both won....at fraudung the nation that they are any different on foreign policy.....a complete sham

You are absolutely right. I had to turn it off because of the outright lies spewing out of their mouths. I just kept wishing Ron Paul was on that stage with them. He would've turned both of them inside out on this issue.

Edited by Legaia
  • Like 1

I know everyone wants to believe their puppet won the show....sorry folks. From a neutral third party observation...it was a draw just like I called it a week ago. Just as the "script" said it would be.

All these things do is drive further division of the sheep herds. They accomplish nothing...other than give the two extremists sides ammunition to fight each other with...and this is retarded beyond description. I'll observe the radical exchanges which will assuredly reinforce my position.

Neither of these two are going to embrace peace. Neither is going to fix the economy. If you think that either of them is going to somehow improve your personal life, you are smoking something powerful. It's not going to happen.

It does not matter which of them wins..."We the people"...lose...and that is that.

• Like 2

Romney says that the US saves countries from dictators and no one is howling for his head? You disappoint me UM.

Anyway I missed the debate and since this was on foreign affairs it was the one I wanted to catch. From what I've heard Romney spent a lot of time agreeing with Obama while hinting at a far more aggressive foreign policy. Because if it's one this the US economy needs it's more conflict in the world!

Obama also did a great job at nailing Romney on his point of the US navy being smaller than in 1916. It's called historical context Romney! Yes the US navy is smaller but so is everyone elses. The US navy completely outclasses what everyone else has. A big deal was made of China getting one carrier while the US is sitting on eleven. It's not going to help the economy by building ships you don't need.

• Like 1

Lucky you. They both basically said the same things, except how hard the war drums should be beaten.

You are absolutely right. I had to turn it off because of the outright lies spewing out of their mouths. I just kept wishing Ron Paul was on that stage with them. He would've turned both of them inside out on this issue.

Ron Paul tells the truth and that's why he's not on that stage anymore.

I swear voters want to be lied to.

• Like 2

Great debate at least it was fair:) it seems there were not much differences on Obama or Rommy views on foreign affairs, except Rommey says Obama`s to weak and Obama says Rommy `s to forceful:) in any case Rommy acted more Pesidentual.

I agree that it was more fair.

Leave the Democrats and Republicans in the past. Vote Gary Johnson! The we just have to clean out the Senate and Congress.

• Like 2

Ok found a transcript on the Fox website so let's go through and see what was said.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2012/10/22/transcript-presidential-debate-on-foreign-policy-at-lynn-university/

Romney says we can't kill our way out of the Middle East. Good start. Nothing on what he'd do instead though. Maybe ran out of time?

Hmm...seems the whole Libya campaign cost less than two weeks in Iraq. Well there's a bargain. :P

Ah Romney saying how we're going to deal with terrorist...by killing them. What? Romney didn't you just say we can't kill our way out of this mess? Ok he doesn't want another occupation, that's good. But he always wants to go after terrorist leadership? That might be difficult. Do like the idea of focused foreign aid though. Education, gender equality, and better laws are good to. Though again going to be hard to put into place.

*blinks* I think Obama started talking and Fox forgot to note that. Or Romney thinks he's currently the president.

Obama first to mention Israel.

Obama says the US should work through regional allies to solve the Syrian issues and not get directly involved. Seems like a good idea given the recent history America has had with the Middle East.

"Syria is Iran's route to the sea." Umm...Romney you might want to look at a map.

Romney doesn't want to get militarily involved in Syria. Did he just say Obama is doing the right thing. He doesn't want certain rebels to get weapons but also wants to give some rebels weapons? Huh? In all seems Romney just agreed with Obama on the question of Syria. Yep and Obama points this out.

Obama notes that efforts in nation building could have been better spent at home. Touch off topic, though a valid point.

Romney agrees with Obama in Egypt. So is this debate just going the two of them agreeing with each other?

"And the mantle of leadership for the -- promoting the principles of peace has fallen to America. We didn't ask for it." So is Romney saying the US had a duty to be the world's police?

And Romney goes off about the economy for a bit and then complains about military cuts. Say you know what might help the economy? CUTTING YOUR MILITARY SPENDING!

No where in the world is America's influence greater than four years ago? Didn't Obama just increase American involvement in Asia? Plus I think Europe likes the US better.

"People tend to vote for peace. They don't vote for war." So the GOP is screwed? :P

And Romney talking about the economy again. And there's tension between Israel and the US?

And Obama talking about the economy and education. Umm...guys this is about foreign policy.

Damn it mod slap the both of them down and get back on topic. Ah finally...oh wait no Romney wants to talk about education.

"Where are you going to get the money for your military spending?" "Look at my website." Or maybe you could just tell everyone Romney.

So America can't afford better health care but more warship? Yep plenty of money for them!

Solid point for Obama. The US spends more on its military than the next ten nations combined, and several of those are close allies. More military spending is not needed.

Doing a budget for the Olympics is different than running a country. Past experience is good, but details are better.

Romney the reason why the navy and air force is smaller is due to technological advances and the fact that equipment costs a hell of a lot more these days.

Horses and bayonet comment. Romney gets burned for his lack of understanding historical context.

"And, you know, we visited the website quite a bit and it still doesn't work." Dang Romney gets roasted in the span of a few minutes.

Israel is America's greatest ally in the region? Didn't they steal American tech or something a while back. Anyway Obama is likely looking to steal Romney's talking points.

Obama and Romney are agreeing on Iran...come on Romney show that hardline. Ah there we go genocide reference...though not sure Iran has taken part in any genocide actions. The 'wiped off the map' point gets brought up a lot (Obama raised in here) but there are claims of mistranslations and what this really means. So at the end of it the only different between the two of them is that Romney will be meaner to Iran in diplomatic circles. Well...better than what I thought it would be. Though isolating Iran is going to take some doing since I'm sure people hate Israel more than they do Iran. Might be seen as the US being a bully.

Romney is now saying Obama is being too soft on Iran...but you just said the US was doing a good job of dealing with Iran.

Reference to the apology tour. CNN fact checked that as being false. Obama flat out calls Romney on this.

Romney must have realised he was agreeing with Obama about Iran because now he'd taking a much harder line...though still saying basically the same thing.

So it was an apology tour because Obama didn't visit Israel, which he visited during the last campaign. So what you're saying Romney is that it wasn't an apology tour at all. Maybe America's other allies in the region were pleased that they were the focus of the visit,

"Mr. President, America has not dictated to other nations. We have freed other nations from dictators." And that is why America is dictating what power sources Iran can and cannot have...wait...

So American influence is less because of economic issues (duh), not throwing money at the military, and not being the super bestest buds with Israel? So those long, expensive, and unpopular wars had nothing to do with it?

Obama again pointing out that Romney is agreeing with him in terms of Iran. That must annoy the GOP given Iran is one of their big foreign policy drums.

Obama slides in a personal story. Ugh, and they were doing so well.

So Romney says he wants out of Afghanistan in 2014. He might want to tell Ryan that. Is this going to be another bit where they just agree with each other and then spend a bunch of time trying to build up minor differences?

Another personal story Obama? For shame.

The mod asks if it's time to divorce Pakistan. I didn't even know you guys were married! I thought we were friends America.

Hmm...Romney has no problems with how Obama is dealing with Pakistan. Is Romney sure he's in the right party? :P

Both men like drones. I imagine UM members threw stuff at their tvs at this point.

China comes up...and we're back into the economy. Romney says the US should partner with China...again have you told Ryan this? Because he seems to think different. Oh wait there's the trade war mention. Though Romney does bring a good point that no one should roll over when China makes demands.

Obama gets in a few digs at Romney which starts an off topic argument. That wasn't needed. Wow they really went at it. All control seems to be lost so the mod makes a joke and tells them to end things.

Obama's closing statement covers a lot of non-foreign policy ground and odd hearing about Romney's dangerous when he spent most of the night agreeing with you. You'll maintain the world's strongest military? Given the US budget it'd be damn hard not to. Romney is going to work with Dems? He might want to tell the GOP that given that last few years. Really Romney are you sure you're in the right party?

• Like 3

Who really cares. They are both saying what we want to hear. Yes I like Obama. I think he has done ok with the mess he walked into.

nice summary Corp..... hold on a second... Did I just agree with you? lol

Quick nickpick on minor issues so it seems we're very different! :P