Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

can't edit my topics?

Tizqar

I wanted to edit something i posted but i can't find the edit post button anywhere.

did it disappear? or where can i find it?

edit: i found the edit button on this topic, next to the multiqoute and qoute. on my other topic its not there though. it's in the writers hangout. this is the link

http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?showtopic=236649

Edited by Tizqar

You can only edit a post for up to an hour after you've posted it - is there something specific you'd like edited ?

Oh okay. Was it always like that? I seem to remember it was longer. It was just some spelling errors i wanted to remove. Nothing big. Thanks for the explanation!

It's probably been different but that was a good few years ago now.

I was wondering the same. It kind of stinks that there is a short time limit to edit your posts. I just went to read responses in a thread I posted in and noticed I had a spelling error that could change the way my point was taken. It'd be nice to be able to change it.

I assume it is this way so that someone cannot change their posts and deny posting what they originally posted. Is that correct?

Maybe the time can be increased to 2-4 hours.

No need to correct a misspelling for me mods.

I assume it is this way so that someone cannot change their posts and deny posting what they originally posted. Is that correct?

Maybe the time can be increased to 2-4 hours.

That is one reason. There is a very good reason to limit the amount of time that a post can be edited, I have seen sites where a poster has got angry and systematically removed all the text from all of their posts. It is not only effectively a form of vandalism, as it ruins topic after topic, but is unfair on the other, well behaved, members.

One hour is considerably more generous than some forums allow. I have seen sites where you can only edit a post within 15 minutes of making it.

The thing is that what ever time limit is set someone will want longer. If Saru changes it to 2 or 4 hours what happens if you don't notice a mistake until 5 hours later? Or 12? Or 24?

In most cases an hour is more than enough to correct a mistake. If you notice a mistake after that then making another post clarifying your error should not present a problem.

Edited by Waspie_Dwarf
  • Like 4