Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Becoming A Domestic Animal

behavioralist

The word "love" diminishes in meaning the more allowances we must make for our own, our mate's, and our environment's capacity for fully engaging the offspring's evolved faculties.

When we are born due to our mothers having made such allowances, we suffer a corresponding amount of damage to our faculties.

These damages then leave a remnant of faculties; and these remnants then become our power of discernment and discretion (for example, how the word "love" should be defined; in what circumstances and with what person to mate).

This inhumanly limited discernment and discretion then assesses the mate and the environment, readily making similar allowances to our mother's (due to the damage our mothers subjected us to: traumatic amnesia leaves remnant-awareness, which in nature would result in death, while society indulges in exploiting it), and we can't understand or care (because caring requires something we have "forgotten"; amnesia) why the infant, whose faculties are whole and complete, is trying to commit suicide much of the time..

We say to the malcontent infant, "This is not a bad room!", "This is good music!", "This is a quality tobacco; enjoy that fragrance!", "That's an expensive baby-toy; are you blind or something!", "That's the food preferred by pediatricians!", "It's only a rash!", "Don't just point; say the word!", and so on endlessly, absolutely certain the baby is the one whose appreciation is deficient.

Adopted appreciation is the cattle-way!

For advanced Behavioral Science studies, follow behavioralist at mforums.org

• Like 1

Good grief! There's an awful lot to ponder on in there.

Why is it only the mother's fault? (In fact I would say that this is most certainly not automatically the case).

You seem to shift from 'love' to 'appreciation' somewhere along the way ...... you seem to have interchanged them.

• Like 2

Love and appreciation go together. But you also have to have honesty, respect and loyalty to be able to trust.

I also would like to know why it is only the mothers fault.

Love and appreciation go together. But you also have to have honesty, respect and loyalty to be able to trust.

I also would like to know why it is only the mothers fault.

Infancy is most often the mother's duty. Very rarely do we have it that it's a hetero male telling the child the infamous and ubiquitous lie, "You were such a serene baby!", thereby demonstrating the most labor-saving device ever conceived of: deception.

The wormhole through all the toil of social acceptance, and to winning a child's affections despite the brain-damage.

The mother says it, because the mother is the one who decided the little thing had something to learn about getting its way: never happens!

Certainly I concede that putting it all on the mom is at least a bit unsporting, but I do feel that the reader who fixates on that point is missing the beauty of the science. Call it guardian x if that helps.

I thought this was going to be about some dominance fetish, turned out to be something even more bizarre.

I'll be honest, there's something about your original post that interests me(not least because I have spent a large part of my life working with children), but there's something about the way you express yourself that makes my brain strain and hurt ..... seriously.

Surely you are just talking about life, which by definition is going to be an imperfect experience for everyone? Those 'allowances' that you mention are present in every generation, and by growing up with them we learn how to cope with them in adulthood. I would say that the exact opposite of what you say is true: our discernment and discretion are in fact humanly limited ....... and that is how it should be!

I think what you're talking about is an ideal.

The OP is absent any evidence to back up the statements made, so it really comes down to opinion. I will say this, though. Lately, I've become very tired of the disdain for humanity that I often see here. Humanity includes a wide range of experiences, education, intelligence, familial influences, behaviors, etc. While there are some negatives within this range there are also a lot of positives. Pointing out our shortcomings is very easy, most of us know what they are. Some of us, though, are working to improve our societies and communities, and finding solutions to the problems. This is where the real work is. The time for sitting on the fence is over, IMHO. So my question would be, are you part of the solution or part of the problem?

Millions of people are a blessing to this planet. They help feed the poor, they put in a lot of volunteer hours cleaning up the environment, helping out in school classrooms, advocating for children in the legal system, bringing energy & good will to our hospitals, mentoring our youth, providing free health care, staffing our libraries, raising money for worthy causes, the list goes on. Imagine how much worse society would be without these people and their efforts, and how much better it would be if more people participated in good works.

With less perception one agrees with more people. ("ignorance is bliss") All adults are aware they are repugnant to others, and therefore pretend to be something more appealing. (Even a psycho pretends to be merely scary, to hide that he's a monster.)

All adults know they should have no one agreeing with them (save with their affectations), except those with messianic delusions ("I love me alone, and you owe it to me and God to love me alone!"). To agree with more people, then, is insane.

Consider that there are many animals of many species today, who just can't relate to nature (despite being exactly as evolved as nature) because they have been insulated for exploitation since birth.

Only one of these species harbors the delusion it is actually better and more evolved than nature!

---that it is more relevant to the cosmos or to a God it imagines as being in sympathy with this delusion.

Does "Intelligent Life" have children who don't ever want to grow up?

Edited by behavioralist
  • Like 1

With less perception one agrees with more people. ("ignorance is bliss") All adults are aware they are repugnant to others, and therefore pretend to be something more appealing. (Even a psycho pretends to be merely scary, to hide that he's a monster.)

All adults know they should have no one agreeing with them (save with their affectations), except those with messianic delusions ("I love me alone, and you owe it to me and God to love me alone!"). To agree with more people, then, is insane.

Consider that there are many animals of many species today, who just can't relate to nature (despite being exactly as evolved as nature) because they have been insulated for exploitation since birth.

Only one of these species harbors the delusion it is actually better and more evolved than nature!

---that it is more relevant to the cosmos or to a God it imagines as being in sympathy with this delusion.

Does "Intelligent Life" have children who don't ever want to grow up?

Again, more declarations, no evidence to back it up. FYI, as an adult, I find very few adults repugnant and I'm pretty sure that I'm in the majority on this. And I've found that increased perceptions inform me and make me more sympathetic and compassionate, as it helps me recognize commonality and cause and effect, and keeps me from holding myself in higher regard than others or having more self-regard than I should and more than is healthy for myself of my community. Humility, you know, is a good thing because if comes from self-knowledge; arrogance is a hindrance because it stems from ignorance. If you find most adults repugnant, then there's a problem in your thinking, perceptions, & understanding, not with the general population.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

Behavioralist is actually correct about it being the mother's fault, initially.

Point being: Babies don't and can't raise themselves. They/we believe whatever our mother's tell us about how to get ahead in life, even if what she's saying is right is actually wrong.

And he's right about our society being insane.

Beany: Sometimes you need common sense to understand truth. Proof doesn't exist for everything. Remember that, love. :)

Anyone who calls nurture a "fault" should only be calling themselves insane.

Behavioralist is actually correct about it being the mother's fault, initially.

Point being: Babies don't and can't raise themselves. They/we believe whatever our mother's tell us about how to get ahead in life, even if what she's saying is right is actually wrong.

And he's right about our society being insane.

Beany: Sometimes you need common sense to understand truth. Proof doesn't exist for everything. Remember that, love. :)

My common sense tells me this claim has no basis in fact. It's an opinon, nothing more. "All adults are aware they are repugnant to others, and therefore pretend to be something more appealing. (Even a psycho pretends to be merely scary, to hide that he's a monster.)" And my common sense tell me this is a warped point of view. Our society is not insane. Some individuals are, but not all, by any means. And my common sense has me asking, in regard to mothers, whether the father has any influence, through both a presence or an absence. Some of these are sociological issues that can't be seriously discussed without education & research, and others are opinons. Because my opinion differs doesn't mean I'm not using common sense. As for insanity, would you call the people who volunteers or work for Doctors Without Borders insane, of the American Cancer Society, or CDC staff, .... The list of people doing good work is endless, and that is not insanity. As for sheep, would this be the people who gave us our childhood immunizations, or educated us, or gave us technology, or MRIs, or long-distance surgery, of Lasik surgery, or who maintain our power grid & see that we get clean water, or installed the tsunami warning system? If you're going to maintain the insanity thing, cough up something better than skewed opinions. Baah, humbug!

My common sense tells me this claim has no basis in fact. It's an opinon, nothing more. "All adults are aware they are repugnant to others, and therefore pretend to be something more appealing. (Even a psycho pretends to be merely scary, to hide that he's a monster.)" And my common sense tell me this is a warped point of view. Our society is not insane. Some individuals are, but not all, by any means. And my common sense has me asking, in regard to mothers, whether the father has any influence, through both a presence or an absence. Some of these are sociological issues that can't be seriously discussed without education & research, and others are opinons. Because my opinion differs doesn't mean I'm not using common sense. As for insanity, would you call the people who volunteers or work for Doctors Without Borders insane, of the American Cancer Society, or CDC staff, .... The list of people doing good work is endless, and that is not insanity. As for sheep, would this be the people who gave us our childhood immunizations, or educated us, or gave us technology, or MRIs, or long-distance surgery, of Lasik surgery, or who maintain our power grid & see that we get clean water, or installed the tsunami warning system? If you're going to maintain the insanity thing, cough up something better than skewed opinions. Baah, humbug!

I think it's possible that both you and behavioralist are to some degree right: I could argue that it is insanity that has got us to a position where we need to clean water before we can use it; or that civilisation as we know it would totally collapse if the power grid failed for any length of time because we are so dependant on it; "All adults are aware ...... etc etc": perhaps 'repugnant' is too strong a word and yet........... don't the majority of us think about how we look and take care to dress in a 'generally acceptable' manner? Don't we take care not to smell of 'ourselves'? who would dare go out in clothes that had been mended these days? How many people feel bad when grey hairs appear, or 'age spots' on the skin? Surely this is low-level 'insanity'?

So, when we find someone who doesn't make us vomit at first sight, and mate with them, the resulting infant should be left alone to determine for itself how it wants to exist. I guess it works out in the insect world, so why not humans?

So, when we find someone who doesn't make us vomit at first sight, and mate with them, the resulting infant should be left alone to determine for itself how it wants to exist. I guess it works out in the insect world, so why not humans?

In theory, yes. Trouble is, real life isn't like that, is it? The infant(assuming it survived for a year or more), would very quickly come across others who also wanted to determine for themselves how they would live their lives ....... terrible clashes of interests would ensue!! The fact is, to survive, we all have to compromise to a greater or lesser degree.

I think it's possible that both you and behavioralist are to some degree right: I could argue that it is insanity that has got us to a position where we need to clean water before we can use it; or that civilisation as we know it would totally collapse if the power grid failed for any length of time because we are so dependant on it; "All adults are aware ...... etc etc": perhaps 'repugnant' is too strong a word and yet........... don't the majority of us think about how we look and take care to dress in a 'generally acceptable' manner? Don't we take care not to smell of 'ourselves'? who would dare go out in clothes that had been mended these days? How many people feel bad when grey hairs appear, or 'age spots' on the skin? Surely this is low-level 'insanity'?

Oh, blah. Still all opinions with no basis in fact. I see the world differently, that's all. I don't think I'd get much joy out of life if all I saw was "insanity", "repugnance", and "sheep." I see beauty, compassion, creativity, joy, love, kindness, generosity, and when I see problems I do what I can to help find solutions. That's all.

• Like 1

Oh, blah. Still all opinions with no basis in fact. I see the world differently, that's all. I don't think I'd get much joy out of life if all I saw was "insanity", "repugnance", and "sheep." I see beauty, compassion, creativity, joy, love, kindness, generosity, and when I see problems I do what I can to help find solutions. That's all.

What did I say that has 'no basis in fact'?

Don't get me wrong, I also see a lot of 'beauty, compassion, creativity, joy, love, kindness and generosity'.

What did I say that has 'no basis in fact'?

Don't get me wrong, I also see a lot of 'beauty, compassion, creativity, joy, love, kindness and generosity'.

The first 4 paragraphs of your original post. There's a lot of supposition there, and maybe some amateur psychology & sociology. Maybe I was getting you wrong, because I felt what I was reading was a pretty narrow point of view. Glad to know you're more multifaceted.

Here's my thing about the human race. To call people sheep is degrading not only them but yourself, unless you exclude yourself from sheepdom. The older I get the more I realize how many people have not only lived through some pretty horrifying things or circumstances, but have actually triumphed, sometimes against huge odds. People generally don't talk about that kind of intimate stuff, but when I am privileged to hear one of those stories, I am usually awed by the courage and wisdom it takes to get through some of life's hard times.

Edited by Beany

Here's my thing about the human race. To call people sheep is degrading not only them but yourself, unless you exclude yourself from sheepdom. The older I get the more I realize how many people have not only lived through some pretty horrifying things or circumstances, but have actually triumphed, sometimes against huge odds. People generally don't talk about that kind of intimate stuff, but when I am privileged to hear one of those stories, I am usually awed by the courage and wisdom it takes to get through some of life's hard times.

Totally with you there!

I guess beany wants to say that his thinking, and the motivations that define what he's really after (while he's affecting to be quite incapable of cupidity), are private for a very altruistic reason (like mouthwash over a vile embalming-fluid breath caused by alcoholism);

or at least that he only plots misdemeanors; so that the reality of him would not at all strike revulsion in the heart of the one with the behavioral science sufficient to unveil it.

Everyone talks about how well they understand reality, and yet not one of these people is talking about the reality all adults dissemble (conceal from each other by various deflective devices) in order to surreptitiously perpetrate wrongs against each other, children and other species, and then cover their tracks.

---so they can sit on the jury condemning idiots who have done less or perhaps even nothing wrong.

Yes, human cultures are all very nice if you overlook wrongdoing that isn't in the papers!

---and that does what for planet Earth that I'm thankful for?