Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Haunted Dorm

GenerationNine

It's a cliche, I know, but I'm pretty convinced that the dorm I used to live in is haunted, and I'm wondering if anyone could maybe debunk anything that happened there.

I have a few stories. Most of them are only anecdotes, but yeah. Anyways.

One morning, I heard my name loudly whispered in my ear as I woke up. I attributed it to a dream until I found out a little while later that two of my friends had heard their names as well while they were waking up. I thought it a little strange for it to be a three-way coincidence.

My roommates and I all have heard the furniture in our living room being moved around in the middle of the night, but the next morning nothing is out of place. This happened a few times.

Those were my first room I had. I lived there for two years and had two rooms, though. The next stories are from the second room.

My roommate asked me one morning what I did in my room at night because she always heard noises like someone was walking around in my room. This happened several times. The thing is, I was always asleep when she said she heard this, and I don't have a history of sleepwalking.

My roommate saw a small red light floating around in my room.

Another time as I was waking up, I heard a loud, violent banging on our front door, but my roommate, who was awake, didn't hear anything. I also attributed this to just being half awake and maybe dreaming, but considering the other stuff that happened I thought I might as well throw it out there.

My roommate and I were once sitting in the living room when we heard my phone going off in my room, so I went to get it. I looked around on my dresser, bed, and floor, and couldn't find it. Thoughtfully, I put my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, where I found my phone. I told her it must have been her phone in her room (our rooms were right next to each other), but she had hears in her pocket, too. The noise we had heard sounded so much like a phone, though - three, short, loud vibrations, like a phone on a hard surface. It had also clearly come from my room. It was such a natural response to think my phone had been in my room - it wasn't even a question, neither of us had to wonder if it was my phone, it just was....except it obviously wasn't. If that makes sense.

Anyways, those are the things that happened. If any of you have any insight as to what might have caused them, I'm open to it.

Edited by Madam9

Hmm, unexplained noises, things moving around. It sounds to me like the classic poultergeist. Had one in my house but I think it's gone now.

• Like 1

Did sound from outside your dorm room travel well?

Ehh, no more than your average building. Like, you could hear noises from outside, but you could tell they were outside.

One morning, I heard my name loudly whispered in my ear as I woke up. I attributed it to a dream until I found out a little while later that two of my friends had heard their names as well while they were waking up. I thought it a little strange for it to be a three-way coincidence.

a very common and natural phenomenon actually

My roommates and I all have heard the furniture in our living room being moved around in the middle of the night, but the next morning nothing is out of place. This happened a few times.

you all heard furniture moving around the livingroom in the middle of the night but none of you investigated until the next morning. why is that?

My roommate asked me one morning what I did in my room at night because she always heard noises like someone was walking around in my room. This happened several times. The thing is, I was always asleep when she said she heard this, and I don't have a history of sleepwalking.

but you, being in the room, did not hear the noise or wake up or anything?

My roommate saw a small red light floating around in my room.

same roommate?

Another time as I was waking up, I heard a loud, violent banging on our front door, but my roommate, who was awake, didn't hear anything. I also attributed this to just being half awake and maybe dreaming, but considering the other stuff that happened I thought I might as well throw it out there.

well you were probably correct in assuming it was because you were half awake

My roommate and I were once sitting in the living room when we heard my phone going off in my room, so I went to get it. I looked around on my dresser, bed, and floor, and couldn't find it. Thoughtfully, I put my hands in my sweatshirt pocket, where I found my phone. I told her it must have been her phone in her room (our rooms were right next to each other), but she had hears in her pocket, too. The noise we had heard sounded so much like a phone, though - three, short, loud vibrations, like a phone on a hard surface. It had also clearly come from my room. It was such a natural response to think my phone had been in my room - it wasn't even a question, neither of us had to wonder if it was my phone, it just was....except it obviously wasn't. If that makes sense.

this is so vague it could be attributed to anything.

Know anything about the history of the dorm.

Specifically, no. My roommate and I (side note: the roommate I keep talking about is always the same person) tried to do some research on the place when weird stuff started happening, but it was the one dorm on campus that we couldn't find anything on. It's a pretty common belief among students that it used to be a mental hospital back in the day, but I've also heard it's always just been a dorm, so I don't know what's true and what isn't.