Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Gaming problems

Mr Right Wing

Please, please, please someone help.

Many months ago I brought a 50 inch HDTV to play pc games on. I brought a state of the art graphics card and wired them together with a HDMI cable.

I was so impressed I sold my monitor and the leads that go with it.

Anyway I just discovered I can no longer play Paradox Interactive games such as Hearts of Iron 3. I've discovered that their games usually require a refresh rate of 50hz or 60hz. My HDTV has a refresh rate of 30hz.

The games wont work and as I threw the cable I used with my monitor I cant connect my PC to my HDTV using it.

Is that a way of making everything work, some peice of magic software or will I need to buy a new monitor cable?

TV's are normally at least 50hz refresh rate

The most likely cause is the refresh rate setting for Your monitor on Your PC

If using windows 7

You can change that by right clicking on Your desktop and selecting screen resolution then advanced settings, and then monitor tab

Should see a box similar to this

post-132279-0-45833100-1351459314_thumb.

In the drop down box select the highest setting You can for the monitor

How to change it if using windows XP

right-click the desktop, and then click Properties.

Click the Settings tab, and then click Advanced.

Click the Monitor tab, and then click the screen refresh rate that you want to use.

DO NOT take the tick out of the box of the "hide modes this monitor cannot display" as it can cause problem's

Edited by Jackofalltrades
  • Like 1

TV's are normally at least 50hz refresh rate

The most likely cause is the refresh rate setting for Your monitor on Your PC

Thanks for that but its a different problem.

Upon checking my HDTV has a default 60hz mode. When looking at the Geforce 460se modes the maximum 60hz one is 1024 x 768 with all above resolutions being outputed at 30hz.

My game requires a minimum of 60hz at 1024 x 780 and the other Paradox Interactive ones are similar hz's. My graphics card wont output that frequency in HDMI mode for that resolution or above. I cant put it into normal mode as I dont have the right cables lol.

Thanks for that but its a different problem.

Upon checking my HDTV has a default 60hz mode. When looking at the Geforce 460se modes the maximum 60hz one is 1024 x 768 with all above resolutions being outputed at 30hz.

My game requires a minimum of 60hz at 1024 x 780 and the other Paradox Interactive ones are similar hz's. My graphics card wont output that frequency in HDMI mode for that resolution or above. I cant put it into normal mode as I dont have the right cables lol.

Can pick up the cables pretty cheap off ebay or any computer shop

One You need is "MALE TO MALE SVGA/VGA MONITOR LEAD"

• Like 1

Can pick up the cables pretty cheap off ebay or any computer shop

One You need is "MALE TO MALE SVGA/VGA MONITOR LEAD"

Thanks for your help but the problem is now fixed.

If anyone else is having difficulties playing old games on Vista, 7 or 8 then you need to do the following -

1. Find out the reolution and refresh rates it needs to run.

2. Go into nvidia and customize your resolution (you have to accept a waiver for this).

3. Create the new resolution with the appropiate refresh rate and apply it.

4. Start your game and it should work.

5. Cntrl+tab to your desktop and return the resolution to normal.

6. Your game should continue to run.

Edited by Mr Right Wing