Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jack the Ripper: Sickert & The Art of Murder

Jackdaw

My apologies Jackdaw ... the suspense is getting to me !!!! this is excellent & intrigueing. I see the subtle images in the paintings & Im riveted with the info so far ... TOP STUFF thumbsup.gif

For those of you who have been unable to decipher the images I have posted so far may I suggest that you put a magnifying lens to the image whilst displayed on your computer screen or indeed find a black & white copy of the portrait ENNUI and use the same technique. What one must remember is the fact that Sickert never meant such scenes to be detected. They have been his and Jack's secret for over 100yrs.

My next image (which will be sent soonest) may be clearer.

In closing may I leave you with this thought. In his early days Sickert was an actor. He liked to use the stage name MR NEMO. In Latin the name translates into Mr NOBODY. During the Ripper's reign of terror a telegram was sent to the police supposedly from Jack bragging about his exploits. It was originally signed in the name of Mr NEMO but just prior to it being wired the name was crossed out although still legible. Was Jacky boy getting over confident? I wonder if he made any other mistakes which were overlooked by the authorities? It would be interesting to know how many other people in Victorian England went by the name of Mr NEMO.

My last post included the name Mr Nemo, a name that Sickert used during his stage days. With regard to Mr Nemo the following details have been well and truly documentated in Patricia Cornwell's book.

1. The telegram I referred to in my last post was signed Mr Nobody (Mr Nemo ). However just prior to sending the name was changed to Jack the Ripper.

2. In all, 5 letters were sent to the City of London police from Jacky boy that were signed NEMO.

3. One letter from the Ripper was sent to the editor of the London Times newspaper. Again it was signed Nemo.

4. Yet another Ripper letter was signed/initialled R.St

Sickert invariably signed his portraits and sketches St. An abbreviated version of his name. However in later years he began to sign his works R.St

The above makes me wonder if he became frustrated by the inaptitude of the police efforts to catch him/Jack and so he began to leave subtle clues in his paintings?

Edited by Jackdaw

the painting isn't loading on my comp (red x) but those are good evidence photos. didn't Jack say in one letter that if jazz(I think) music was played on the streets all day he wouldn't kill anyone? I read it in a paranormal book at my school.

Werewolf of Doom. For some reason the initial ENNUI portrait I attached on my first post did not load. However if you look at my second post (on pg 1) I sent a further version of the painting in its original form.

Regards

Jackdaw

Oh, wait a minute, that's not Jack I was thinking of with the jazz thing, that was the New Orleans Axe Murderer

Whether the victims number five, six, seven or more the enigma still remains the same. All were prostitutes who were offering sexual favours prior to their deaths.

The question to be asked is did any of the victims actually engage in the act of sex just before being slaughtered. Evidence would suggest that they did not.

I believe Sickert had a major sexual problem in the fact that due to a health disorder during childhood he was left with a minute 'stump' for his sexual organ. It has been suggested that his condition may have prevented him from engaging in the act of sexual intercourse.

Again I ask how many of the unfortunate victims were sexually violated?

Edited by Jackdaw

Hmmm all this evidence is narrowing it down to ---> Sickert ... NoDoubts JD !!!! I will now patiently await next instalments. (Just have to say Im pretty much already convinced this psycho is Jackyboy !!!)

As time goes by, many more, like yourself Dazdillinjah, will become convinced.

The key to this mystery is secreted in art.

Well ppl !!! its about time this thread hit front page again. Plse read this thread as for me we have the rare opportunity to actually SOLVE an Unexplained Mystery here. So far the information provided gives compelling evidence of Sickerts direct involvement. Much respects to JD for this intrigueing info. WHAT an HONOUR for the UNEXPLAINED MYSTERIES site IF this particular mystery is solved, this would boost UM to the top site worlwide re: such matters (IF its NOT ALREADY the BEST as all us members KNOW that it is !!!!)

I for one totally agree with Dazdillinjah's comments re the UM site.

You're the tops guys!

We must be doing something right as since joining over a month ago myself, over 1000 new members have also joined the site. Well done!

More info/images soonest re Jacky boy.

Regards

Jackdaw

[attachmentid=8370]Many Ripperologists are of the opinion that Jacky boy wore a "DEER STALKER" hat

whilst carrying out his dastardly deeds.

To date I have posted one image of what I believe to be a face wearing such a style of hat which I extracted from ENNUI.

Now I offer you another version of such an image which has been secreted in yet another of Sickert's paintings-PUTANA a CASA.

The painting itself is now owned by Patricia Cornwell but even she herself is unaware of what clues it may hold. I have searched the net in efforts to find an image of the painting as I wanted to include it in this post. However I was unsuccessful. (There is a photo of it in her book ) As such I will attempt to describe it to you. The portrait itself depicts what has been described by "experts" an elderly woman/prostitute fully clothed with a shawl across her shoulders and sat in a large chair. The disturbing element of the picture is the fact that half her face appears to be "mutilated."- Several of the Ripper's victims suffered such injuries/facial disfigurement.

The image I have attached has been hidden deep within PUTANA a CASA but I can assure you all there are several more of Sickert's secrets lying in wait within the shadows of the portrait. And I know where!

post-10432-1100826938.jpg

Jack the Ripper, The most Famous Murder of all time, No one really knows who was Jack the Ripper. Around in 1885 to 1895 Between one of those years, He kept killing Women for about 5 or 6 years or more or even less. I think he only killed about 7 Women. The Inspector (I can't remember his name) On the day he retired from his duties, People all over London was sending mail to the Police Station saying that their Jack the Ripper. But, One mail came. It had one of Jack's Victim's insides, it was sent with his mail. For his signature it said something like this "From Hell, Jack The Ripper" Rumors say that Jack the Ripper either rape or had sex with the women and then killed them. I think that Jack the Ripper was smart and Fast. Jack the Ripper supprises me on how he escaped from being caught from the Police. I seen the Letter from Jack the Ripper. But I can't remember what website had the photo of the letter.

Your talking about the George Lusk letter that possibly contained the 'ginny' kidney of Catherine Eddows, it was signed simply 'From Hell'. Hence the name of the recent film with Johnny Depp. I've been interested in the ripper for around fifteen years now and can positivly state Sickert was NOT the ripper. Not one piece of proof exists no matter what Cornwell says. Over here in the UK ripper experts find her 'findings' laughable, me included. And Martha Tabram was probably not a ripper victim.

Ripper Experts? Idol gossipers I say who in over 100yrs have merely managed to put countless suspects forward in order to satisfy their own egos.

Proof?Ahh yes the search goes on.

" The good that men do is often buried with their bones. The evil that they do will live on"- rather like Sickert's paintings!

" The good that men do is often buried with their bones. The evil that they do will live on"- rather like Sickert's paintings!

368543[/snapback]

I think Sickert had a fascination with the ripper murders and there are ripper related images in his paintings. But that doesn't mean he commited these crimes. That fascination may even have caused him to write one or two of the thousands of letters the police recieved claiming to be from Jack. It is thought that only one letter could POSSIBLY be from the ripper and that's the 'from hell' letter I mentioned above. There might be others but many were destroyed during WW2 from bombing and fire.

Personally I think the ripper was a nonentity, the only reason famous people are put forward (Sickert, JK Stephen and prince Albert Victor) is because there paintings, poems and lives can be looked at and some absurd connections made. Other more plausible suspects are harder to pin even circumstantial evidence on, as very little or nothing is known about them, Michael Ostrog for instance.

I watched a documentary on Cornwell and her theory recently. She dug up an old film of Sickert. Comments like "Look at him he's pure evil" and "It's giving me the creeps looking at Jack the ripper for the first time" was some of the nonsense she spouted. The poor old man was walking about his garden with a walking stick!!

Dear Irons,

The images that I have posted on this website are relatively exclusive. The world has never seen them before. This includes Cornwell and all those so called Ripperologists. The images were never meant to be found.

Sickert did not secrete such images without reason. His was not pure fascination with the case I can assure you.

I have often wondered if there are any other famous artists past or present who within their masterpieces both portray and then attempt to hide the macabre. Or should I say HELL itself. I personally have not come across one as yet. However, the art of murder often leaves a signature.

After one has visited any of the above mentioned sites and attempted to digest the tons of information re the case and the numerous suspects put forward etc etc ( Be mindful of the fact that the CASEBOOK forum considers itself to be an authority on the case---full of Ripperologists! ), please ask yourself any of the following questions.

1) Who knew the Whitechapel area like the back of his hand?

2) Who had art studios dotted in and around the area?

3) Who used prostitutes as models for his paintings?

4) Who purchased millitary uniforms?

5) Who had access to clothes/actors makeup for disguises?

6) Who dissappeared for days on end with no explanation?

7) Who was involved in the Royal Conspiracy?

8) Who was fluent in several languages?

9) Who was skilled in writing and drawing?

10) Who appeared to have a problem with his manhood?

There are many more questions to be asked, however the answers to the above may lead you to the identity of Jacky boy.

[attachmentid=8654]Remember the RED NECKERCHIEF we discussed earlier?

If you do and can also recall its significance then maybe you will enjoy the image I have attached.

post-10432-1101433288.jpg

Like irons, I am convinced that the Ripper was a nobody. I have an amatuer (very amateur) interest in the case and nothing I have read really convinces me that the Ripper was or can be identified. I read Cornwalls book eagerly but she made a very poor case and I think Sicket can be quickly dismissed as a suspect. There simply is no real evidence linking him to being the Ripper. Yes, he may have been a misogynist, yes he may have written some of the letters but Cornwall presented nothing to link him with the murders.

Here's an article I found from BBC:

Why are we Still Obsessed with Jack the Ripper

The shadowy figure clad in a top hat and cape, carrying a shiny leather bag through the London fog, the popular image of Jack the Ripper continues to be iconic 116 years after he terrorised the East End.

This week, press reports of tests on a watch led to the finger again being pointed at James Maybrick, a 19th Century Liverpool cotton merchant.

It is a criminal case where a year rarely goes by without a new development or conspiracy theory, but those investigating admit it will almost certainly never be solved.

So why do legions of Jack the Ripper enthusiasts, known as Ripperologists, remain obsessed by the identity of the killer who mutilated prostitutes in the area around Whitechapel?

For Paul Begg, author of upcoming book Jack the Ripper: The Facts, the killer has become more than a match for any fictional figure from the world of horror.

"There are an awful lot of people, particularly in the States, who don't believe Jack the Ripper actually existed. They think he is a fictional character along with Frankenstein and Dracula.

"For most people Jack the Ripper personifies the fear that we all have of the lurker in the shadows, that thing we can offer no defence against."

Sickert row

New books are released every year, many of them identifying a new wealthy Victorian candidate for the crimes and an elaborate conspiracy theory for the Ripperologists to gorge themselves on.

They populate the message boards of the comprehensive Casebook website and argue endlessly over the multitude of competing hypotheses.

But US detective novelist Patricia Cornwell has perhaps gone further than any other Ripperologist in her search for the truth.

Spending as much as $6m researching her book, she named celebrated British artist Walter Sickert as the murderer.

THE SUSPECTS

Prince Albert Victor - grandson of Queen Victoria

James Maybrick - Liverpool cotton merchant

Walter Sickert - Artist

Aaron Kosminski - Polish Jewish immigrant

Michael Ostrog - Thief

Montague John Druitt - Barrister and teacher

Francis Tumblety - US quack doctor

Joseph Barnett - Boyfriend of victim

Countless others

She generated outrage in the art world by having a Sickert painting cut up, and purchased 31 other works in her quest to prove the artist was the killer using a barrage of forensic tests.

But despite the definitive title Portrait of a Killer: Jack the Ripper - Case Closed, she was unable to prove Sickert's guilt and her theory was widely dismissed by leading Ripperologists.

To Trevor Marriott, a retired murder squad detective from Bedfordshire, not only will the case never be solved, but all of the facts will remain disputed, even down to whether the Ripper killed more than the five women attributed to him.

"There are a hardcore of people throughout the world who will always be interested. There are people who live and die the Ripper.

"I sometimes wonder whether they want the crime to be solved. There are some people who won't accept any facts. Nothing's ever going to change them."

Mr Marriott, who has spent more than a decade researching the killings since his retirement in 1988, said he had sympathy for the officers who had failed to catch the killer.

"A lot of my police service was at a time when we didn't have modern forensic methods. These methods have come to the forefront in my time.

"It was good old fashioned police work, which was all they had at the time of the Ripper murders.

"As a detective something like this is always of interest. You try to apply modern day investigative techniques. If I had been around then, what would I have done differently. They seem to have missed a lot of avenues of inquiry that I would have pursued.

"I regret not having now the power of a police officer to go to places and demand things. It does prove difficult."

For Neil Storey, author of A Grim Almanac of Jack the Ripper's London, the rise of the iconic imagery of the killer is tied into the rise of the "gutter press".

"To writers at the turn of the century, the East End was a Third World in the most powerful empire in the world, with poverty akin to the poorest corners, it was a phenomenon.

"When this series of murders come along that are incredible, are unsolved, it ties in with this mysterious world of poverty, and it rings all the bells that that the various media had.

"Pure unadulterated crime and disaster [was the making] of the gutter press.

"He became a stalking bogeyman that children were threatened with, a folk devil. Kids had skipping rhymes and played catch games that mentioned him."

Along with Patricia Cornwell's controversial work, the most hotly disputed theory is that naming James Maybrick as the man responsible.

A diary, alleged to be that of Maybrick, and containing his confession to the gruesome killings, was made public in the early 1990s.

But it has failed to convince most of the leading Ripper authors, who accept that while it has not been proved to be a fake, it has also not been proved to be genuine.

And while Ripperologists continue their hunt, it is clear that Jack the Ripper will be imprinted on the consciousness of the English-speaking world for many years to come.

After one has visited any of the above mentioned sites and attempted to digest the tons of information re the case and the numerous suspects put forward etc etc ( Be mindful of the fact that the CASEBOOK forum considers itself to be an authority on the case---full of Ripperologists! ), please ask yourself any of the following questions.

1) Who knew the Whitechapel area like the back of his hand?

2) Who had art studios dotted in and around the area?

3) Who used prostitutes as models for his paintings?

4) Who purchased millitary uniforms?

5) Who had access to clothes/actors makeup for disguises?

6) Who dissappeared for days on end with no explanation?

7) Who was involved in the Royal Conspiracy?

8) Who was fluent in several languages?

9) Who was skilled in writing and drawing?

10) Who appeared to have a problem with his manhood?

There are many more questions to be asked, however the answers to the above may lead you to the identity of Jacky boy.

371614[/snapback]

Jackdaw, i'm realy not trying to destroy your theory but i'm afraid I just don't buy it. It's great that there is still people like you showing an interest and putting forward more possible angles to the ripper case.

1)Thousands of people.

2)If you mean businesses and homes, again thousands of people.

3)Every painter of that era, they were cheap and in Victorian times very few other women would do it.

4)Don't see your point, Jack wasn't realy a confirmed military man.

5)Sickert probably, but few if any serial killers use disguises. When they kill they're in a state of frenzy, resembling an addiction. The last thing they're think about is putting on false moustaches.

6)After all these years I doubt no one can can positively know where anyone was at the time of the murders, even famous people. According to Sickert art experts he was in France at the time of some of the murders.

7)Sir William Gull, John Netley and Walter Sickert. The theory has been found to be nonsense.

8)Again, I don't see your point. The ripper was never stated to speak many languages.

9)Again, I don't see your point. Just because Sickert can paint doesn't mean he went around killing women.

10)Not me thankfully, and not Sickert either. He had mistresses and bore children, it seemed to work fine.