Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Jack the Ripper: Sickert & The Art of Murder

Jackdaw

Why do you write with an olde english accent lol.

Why doth thou have an avatar defacing a legend come fantasy come pirate?

Why do you want to expose a tongue?

As for the "lol"? . . .Hmmm?

Twud be best for me not to make comment me thinks :-D

I kinda like the portrait entitled 'Carolina' painted by Sickert during 1903 - 1904.

Apparently, she is one of the many prostitutes who frequently modelled for him.

However. . . . The portrait itself and indeed Carolina are not what they appear to be.......or first seem to the viewer.

Edited by Jackdaw

For those of you who are truly interested in the art of Walter Sickert I ask that you view the portrait "Carolina"

Does she at first glance appear to be sat on the sofa with her right hand upon the side of her face and her left hand resting upon her knee come lap? That lap is not her dress or skirt.

Take a further look . . . .

Before her kneels the upper half of a bare male, his skin all battered and torn, his face in her lap, his left arm and his back are in full view and her hand rests upon his left shoulder - Masonic?

'Carolina' in both Latin and German ( Sickert was born in Munich ) means FREE MAN.

Free from what? . . . . .Conscience . . . . .or Guilt?

Edited by Jackdaw

• 3 months later...

I have recently heard that the theory now is that it was a woman that was Jack The Ripper. I find that hard to believe tho. Most women killers do not do that kind of damage to other women.

I have recently heard that the theory now is that it was a woman that was Jack The Ripper. I find that hard to believe tho. Most women killers do not do that kind of damage to other women.

All it takes is one....

Cz

Guess there will always be theories. I saw another docu last night. This man is certain it was a man named Kelly. The evidence seems pretty good.

I was simply pointing out that your "Most women killers..." rationale for finding it "hard to believe" that Jack the Ripper might have been a woman is flawed in its logic.

"Most women killers" is not the same as "ALL women killers" (something that you couldn't say as a fact, anyway) and by definition implies that there are "SOME women killers" who could / would / did do that kind of damage to other women, and one of those women capable of doing that could have been Jack the Ripper.

That said, I haven't seen the information that points to JtR being a woman, so I can't say either way how likely it is that that particular theory is correct.

Cz

Was this post intended to be satirical? Because if it wasn't the poster certainly has a wild imagination. :whistle:

Edited by Thomas J
  • Like 1

• 2 months later...

Wild Imagination?

Look up Sickert's Camden Town Period portraits if you want to see a wild imagination.

I've seen his paintings. They show naked women laying on beds and such, really not odd for an artist. After all wikipedia, mind the source, I can't believe I am giving such speculation this much attention.. mentions that he gained inspiration for the painting from the Jack the Ripper after Sickert had been told by the owner of the lodge he moved into that she suspected the previous tenet was Jack the Ripper. Prior to this, Sickert had already taken an Interest to the case as I imagine anyone would living in the area.

So out of the options: Sickert basing his artwork on the headline news at the time, or painting one of his victims.. to you, what sounds more plausible?

From what I have read about this suspicion, the focal point that draws attention is the paintings. I don't think that qualifies as reasonable.

Qualifies as reasonable??? .......for what?

A reasonable suspect. Since nothing other than one or two of his paintings, which could more plausibly be explained as inspired by Jack, and his location at the time would suggest him to be Jack the Ripper. A minor suspect non the less, but in comparison to others that have been proposed I don't think he competes. This just is personal opinion.

So having studied his paintings you say that women with distorted faces isn't strange or has a wild imagination?

Didn't say I had studied the paintings. There isn't anything you can really study, other than trying desperately to see things (Wild imagination) that aren't there as exemplified by the poster, anyway. What I was saying is that paintings, to me at least, don't draw any suspicion towards Sickert. I mentioned that the section of the Wikipedia article on Sickert said about him taking an Interest in the case, and the story about his lodge owner suspecting the previous tenant of inspiring his painting seems a lot more plausible.

Sickert based his artwork on much more than "headlines news" as you say.

And can you tell me of another artiist in London 1888 that did likewise?

I don't know all the sources of inspiration for his painting,so I don't where you got "-much more- than headline news" from. Which by the last part was just analogous. There was news of him in the papers at the time of course; it was meant to highlight how he was a subject of Interest around London. That's the impression I have been given at least.

Edit: Jack the ripper being the subject of Interest. Sorry if I wasn't clear.

And no, I can't name another artist at the time. Can you please tell me why only one (assuming there isn't others) artist having painted pictures remotely resembling Jack's crimes is of significance? I'm really not following the logic there. The only significance that could be possible assigned to that would to presuppose Sickert was the ripper.

Edited by Thomas J

• 1 month later...

I saw Jesus in my morning yogurt.

Really??? Maybe you should try a stronger coffee at breakfast time?

Did you take a picture of the yogurt?

• 3 months later...

the author said she chose Sickert at random from a bunch of suspects. I'm sure she could have come up with pretty damning cases against a number of the others if she chose them instead. It was a very interesting book with some very convincing theories but I'm not convinced

I saw Jesus in my morning yogurt.

Was he doing the backstroke or just freestyle?

• 1 month later...

I like the pics in this thread.

Every picture tells a story so they say.

Sickert seems a very strange character and a wierd artist.

For those of you who are truly interested in the art of Walter Sickert I ask that you view the portrait "Carolina"

Does she at first glance appear to be sat on the sofa with her right hand upon the side of her face and her left hand resting upon her knee come lap? That lap is not her dress or skirt.

Take a further look . . . .

Before her kneels the upper half of a bare male, his skin all battered and torn, his face in her lap, his left arm and his back are in full view and her hand rests upon his left shoulder - Masonic?

'Carolina' in both Latin and German ( Sickert was born in Munich ) means FREE MAN.

Free from what? . . . . .Conscience . . . . .or Guilt?

Found this on the web.

I can see the man.

post-139676-0-67887200-1369760833_thumb.

Edited by 05854

Jack or Jill the Ripper?

My view is it was a Jack - a man.

And he did not work alone. He was part of a gang of Rippers.

They looked out for each other whilst carrying out the murders hence they never got caught.

why is this in the conspiracy section

?

No response?

So obviously you don't know why???

No probs.

Maybe you should stick to subjects you feel... or think... you know a little about. Bin Laden maybe???

• Like 1

must admit, this is a new one on me!

might have to hunt down a copy of Ms cornwell's book from the library.....

• Like 1

The book is only part of it matey.

Look up Jackdaw on the Historum Forum - The Art of Conspiracy.

It wouldn't be the first time a Government or Royal Family covered something up.

Would it???

• Like 1

• 5 months later...

Hi shrooma.

Hope you okay.

Did you get the book?

I believe Cornwell is planning to bring out another book next year.

Based on the Ripper letters.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies re my last post.

Apparently it may not be based on just the Ripper Letters.

The copyright law governing certain painters of the Victorian age has now expired.

Sickert is one of them.

So here's hoping Patricia Cornwell finds the clues to the case in all the Sickert artwork she has bought to the tune of 2 million dollars.

Some say Sickert painted the clues within some of his paintings.