Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Sperm Donor ordered to pay child support

None of the above

http://www.parentdish.co.uk/2012/10/29/gay-sperm-donor-dad-ordered-to-pay-support-for-children-he-fathered-13-years-ago/?icid=maing-grid7%7Cuk%7Cdl3%7Csec3_lnk4%26pLid%3D134417

A gay sperm donor who fathered two children has been told he has to cough up child support payments – even though he has played no part in their upbringing.

Mark Langridge, 47, said he donated his sperm as an 'act of kindness' to help two lesbian friends have children.

But 13 years later, his generosity has come back to haunt him after he received a letter from the Child upport Agnecy insisting he has to pay £26 to support the kids he hasn't actually set eyes on in eight years.

• Like 1

This is just wrong... A person who has no say what-so-ever should have no obligation what-so-ever...

• Like 2

Well, he didn't get anything in writing and it was done as an act between friends - the State has it's own ideas according to the law as to who is responsible for paying for the child's upkeep, given the mother requires child support from the State it seems that they have made sure there was no one else who should pay instead, aka an absentee biological dad.

Should have used a sperm bank to manage the "transaction".

No good deed goes unpunished, especially if the machine of bureacracy in the public service finds out about it :whistle:

• Like 6

I think that there should be no child support if the child was not conceived in the bonds of matrimony.

I think that there should be no child support if the child was not conceived in the bonds of matrimony.

By this standard thousands of men would get out of paying child support. They shouldn't get out of it that easily.

I am sorry for the guy who is suddenly required to pay child support. Granted, it's in the UK and I don't know what the rules are, but I agree with libstaK: a spermbank or mediator of some kind should've been involved OR some kind of written contract signed by all parties. CYA applies in all areas of life.

Edited by Lady Kasey
  • Like 3

By this standard thousands of men would get out of paying child support. They shouldn't get out of it that easily.

Then women shouldn't have unprotected sex with them if they are not married or prepared to raise a child by themselves.

Women have all the choice of whether to abort or not, so the man should not be required to pay.

I feel for the guy but how stupid do you have to be to not get something in writing absolving you of any paternity obligations. When he was introduced as Dad he should've rushed out and gotten an attorney but no, he goes and donates a second time with nothing in writing.

Many many many many many gay couples do this. A same sex couple,asks for help from another friend,to make this happen .

It's a given ,that its up to the sperm donor,to be in the child's life,unless the people who will rear the child,stipulate otherwise.

To suddenly act like he's a deadbeat dad,is uncool,unless he said,he would contribute to their upbringing ,but I'm betting he didnt ,and they didn't ask him to . So ,to do this now,is beyond uncool.

Good try though. I tried telling the judge my sperm was donated too, doesn't work.

• Like 2

whaaaaaaa?

i would be appealing it if i were him. and i would be getting me some new friends too.

Then women shouldn't have unprotected sex with them if they are not married or prepared to raise a child by themselves.

Women have all the choice of whether to abort or not, so the man should not be required to pay.

Wow! That is one incredibly assinine remark, IMO. It takes two don't forget. Men are just as culpable when it comes to making babies.

As to the OP...that is really ****ty. Those women wanted to be moms, they should be ashamed of themselves!

• Like 6

Being that it was a lesbian couple, so a second mother shouldn't it be the 2nd mother paying child support?

• Like 1

ive donated sperm to close friends of mine, one is transgender (female to male), so they are kind of a lesbian couple.. and via that they have a 3 yearold.. i dont have a dad role in his life..i just wanted to help my trans friend who clearly has no sperm.. but we did it through an ivf clinic so we are both protected, cause im sure cases will come up sooner or later, where the sperm donors want custody of these kids.. but even with what we signed at the clinic, my QC friends say that its not fool proof.. my name isnt on the birth cert..

Wow! That is one incredibly assinine remark, IMO. It takes two don't forget. Men are just as culpable when it comes to making babies.

So then the man should have an equal say in whether or not to abort the fetus, right?

horse****. IF you don't want to get pregnant, don't have unprotected sex with a man.

How is it even remotely fair that the man in these cases has almost ZERO parental rights, absolutely ZERO say in whether to abort the pregnancy or not, yet they have to pay?

It's because our legal system is about 30 years behind the economic reality that women can support themselves without the help of a man now.

• Like 2

So then the man should have an equal say in whether or not to abort the fetus, right?

horse****. IF you don't want to get pregnant, don't have unprotected sex with a man.

How is it even remotely fair that the man in these cases has almost ZERO parental rights, absolutely ZERO say in whether to abort the pregnancy or not, yet they have to pay?

It's because our legal system is about 30 years behind the economic reality that women can support themselves without the help of a man now.

Here's an idea, if a man doesn't want to find himself paying child support, how about he doesn't have unprotected sex with a woman.

• Like 5

But then he has absolutely NO say in whether to abort the fetus or not?

How is that justified?

Women want the right to choose. Great, I support that. But their right to choose, if it is to be made independent of what the father wants, should result in the father not being obligated to support her decision.

And no child support without parental rights.

Seems women want to be independent and have control over their own bodies, except when it comes to paying for it.

Edited by Neognosis
  • Like 1

But then he has absolutely NO say in whether to abort the fetus or not?

How is that justified?

Women want the right to choose. Great, I support that. But their right to choose, if it is to be made independent of what the father wants, should result in the father not being obligated to support her decision.

And no child support without parental rights.

Seems women want to be independent and have control over their own bodies, except when it comes to paying for it.

As I have pointed out above, the answer for a man to avoid all of this injustice is well within his grasp - don't have unprotected sex with a woman. If you want to be a pappa then make sure the terms are understood and agreed by both parties or simply understand that sex has consequences. No matter which way you cut it, the consequences are totally controllable and avoidable, but alas crying over spilt milk is so much more fun for some.

• Like 3

it is the responsibility of both parties involved if a pregnancy is not wanted.

if a woman does get pregnant i feel it is her choice ultimately whether she will allow the pregnancy to continue. it is her body and her choice, right or wrong in another's eyes.

• Like 1

it is the responsibility of both parties involved if a pregnancy is not wanted.

if a woman does get pregnant i feel it is her choice ultimately whether she will allow the pregnancy to continue. it is her body and her choice, right or wrong in another's eyes.

Exactly! If he unzips his pants and doesn't wrap up, he should be prepared for what could happen.

• Like 2

I wonder what the rest of the story really is? I wonder what provoked Child Support to get involved in the first place? Did the lesbian couple go on public assistance or something? I know here in New York they require that child support be collected if you are collecting public assistance.

• Like 1

I wonder what the rest of the story really is? I wonder what provoked Child Support to get involved in the first place? Did the lesbian couple go on public assistance or something? I know here in New York they require that child support be collected if you are collecting public assistance.

this is something to think about - good point.

perhaps they are caught up in it as well as he is, and aren't the ones who instigated it in the first place

this is something to think about - good point.

perhaps they are caught up in it as well as he is, and aren't the ones who instigated it in the first place

But if the article stated that, then this story would not be about a couple of cold-hearted lesbians going after a couple of happy go lucky gay guys now would it?

Otherwise this story could pertain to anyone, not just gays. There would be a million other stories that would fit this same profile. The 'gay' factor just makes the story more 'sexy' for media hype.

Edited by BiffSplitkins
  • Like 1

Here's an idea, if a man doesn't want to find himself paying child support, how about he doesn't have unprotected sex with a woman.

So all I need is an armed bodyguard outside my bedroom while I'm having sex.