Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

[Merged]Sasquatch in Siberia? Possible Evidence found

Tizqar

'Astonishing claims were made in Russia today that DNA tests on suspected 'Yeti hair' reveals the existence of 'an unknown mammal closely related to man'.

The 'tests' were conducted on samples of hair found in a Siberian cave during an international expedition last year.

'We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human,' said Professor Valentin Sapunov, of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute.

Nor did the hair belong to any known animal from the region such as a bear, wolf, or goat, he claimed."

What if this turns out to be true? The impact could be huge!

Edited by Tizqar
  • Like 2

Don't worry, it's nonsense, just like every other time this happens.

• Like 1

Dr. Jeff Meldrum was on that expidition and reported they found nothing.

(I just love bringing him into it)

Edited by OverSword

There appears to be some 'confusion' about what this Valentin Sapunov really studied:

The first to make the fantastic discovery was Professor Valentin Sapunov, a member of the New York Academy, St. Petersburg Scientific University – a geneticist and biophysicist.

http://www.eurasiareview.com/29102011-russian-academy-of-sciences-says-highly-likely-bigfoot-exists/

And now read this:

http://www.aces-group.com/countries/russia/sapunov.html

• Like 2

Professor Valentin sounds incredibly smart, thanks for posting Abramelin.

Would be great if they captured or killed one for definite proof. Even around here people claim they have seen one and have been for decades.

I'll wait for the international mainstream scientists' peer review. See how well they share this "amazing discovery" and with whom. Then I'll do the Yeti dance, but still hold out on bigfoot.

More of Sapunov's research and still so typical of the type of bigfoot research we hear over and over again. The cards seem to always be stacked against these researchers.

http://www.bigfootencounters.com/

There are several Russian yeti and bigfoot proponents as well as a couple Russian scientific institutions I've seen quoted over the years, but how do you check them out? And what have they discovered so far to excite the mainstream community?

Edited by QuiteContrary
  • Like 1

I think the thing that make the cynical old b****** in me come out on this is they say this was a joint expedition, but only one person/group is reporting the findings. Not only that, but if true, this would potentially mean they have the first shred of real scientific proof of such a creature.........so where's the data? Where are the other institutions and scientist involved? Where's the big press conference complete with stuff on easels, questions and answers?

All we have is one guy from one institute talking to one news group and he's making it sound like he's talking for everyone. They're supposed to be world level institutes involved but he doesn't even name them and none of them are present for the "big reveal".

Sorry, but this just don't add up in my book.

Oh, those wascally Wussians are just gearing up for this year's Yeti Day celebrations on November 11. It's good for tourism to the region.

'We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human,' said Professor Valentin Sapunov, of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute.

It's like when weather reports track Santa's sleigh at Christmas.

Cryptozoology is all fun and games until someone gets mauled by a Bigfoot and since that just doesn't happen it is all just fun and games...

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1

Oh, those wascally Wussians are just gearing up for this year's Yeti Day celebrations on November 11. It's good for tourism to the region.

It's like when weather reports track Santa's sleigh at Christmas.

Cryptozoology is all fun and games until someone gets mauled by a Bigfoot and since that just doesn't happen it is all just fun and games...

LOL, NW

A Yeti Party! What a great idea. It must be the Russian Georgian in me.

We can play

"Bobbing for Evidence"

"Pin the DNA on the Yeti"

"Footprint (only one) Scavenger Hunt"

"Catch the Yeti Sack Race"

• Like 1

A Yeti Party! What a great idea. It must be the Russian Georgian in me.

We can play

"Bobbing for Evidence"

"Pin the DNA on the Yeti"

"Footprint (only one) Scavenger Hunt"

"Catch the Yeti Sack Race"

Also:

"Blind Man's Bluff Creek"

"Follow the BFRO Leader"

"Hide and Pretend to Seek"

Oh, how the long winter nights must fly by...

Edited by Night Walker
  • Like 1

You're enjoying this way more than is healthy.

:w00t:

DNA tests on hair found supposedly found in a Siberian cave may actually prove the existence of the Abominable Snowman.

Three separate DNA tests of the hair reported it “came from a human-like creature which is not a Homosapien yet is more closely related to man than a monkey”.

Yeti hunters claim Yeti DNA is less than one per cent different to that of a human. But no-one has confirmed that “fact” to date, because no Yeti has ever been found or tested for DNA.

Until now. The DNA tests were carried out at universities in Moscow, St Petersburg at Idaho in the US. It is understood a fourth DNA test is also being carried out in the UK.

“We had ten samples of hair to study, and have concluded that they belong to mammal, but not a human, and not the animals known to the area where they were found, like a bear, or wolf, or goat, or any other animal,” Professor Valentin Sapunov of the Russian State Hydrometeorological Institute said.

Linky: http://www.news.com....0-1226507133971

personally, I am leaning more towards hoax than actual proof... They could have easily sent in monkey hair to test, without anyone knowing if it came from a 'Yeti-like' creature, as claimed.

Edited by SwordMonkey

DNA tests on hair found supposedly found in a Siberian cave may actually prove the existence of the Abominable Snowman.

Three separate DNA tests of the hair reported it “came from a human-like creature which is not a Homosapien yet is more closely related to man than a monkey”.

Yeti hunters claim Yeti DNA is less than one per cent different to that of a human. But no-one has confirmed that “fact” to date, because no Yeti has ever been found or tested for DNA.

personally, I am leaning more towards hoax than actual proof... They could have easily sent in monkey hair to test, without anyone knowing if it came from a 'Yeti-like' creature, as claimed.

But if they sent in monkey hair wouldnt they already have a data base of every primate known to man which they would be trying to match. ?

"Catch the Yeti Sack Race "

Count me out. I'm thinking a Yeti's sack has got to be one of the nastiest parts of the yeti. Right up there with Yeti taint, and Yeti anus. *shivers*

• Like 2

Count me out. I'm thinking a Yeti's sack has got to be one of the nastiest parts of the yeti. Right up there with Yeti taint, and Yeti anus. *shivers*

My my, op79, what kind of games did you play as a kid at (birthday) parties?

• Like 2

They could have easily sent in monkey hair to test, without anyone knowing if it came from a 'Yeti-like' creature, as claimed.

This is somewhere between highly unlkely and no friggin way. Say what you want about this particular study but there is no denying that the study is done by highly accredited scientists who are not likely to risk ruining thier reputations in thier real jobs as university proffessors by submitting false evidence.
  • Like 1

'Astonishing claims were made in Russia today that DNA tests on suspected 'Yeti hair' reveals the existence of 'an unknown mammal closely related to man'.

The 'tests' were conducted on samples of hair found in a Siberian cave during an international expedition last year.

Nor did the hair belong to any known animal from the region such as a bear, wolf, or goat, he claimed."

What if this turns out to be true? The impact could be huge!

Daily Mail.

• Like 2

As I said in post 7, this would have been a huge media event and all it was is a phone call to a newspaper that was picked up by a large media group. Sort of like as a filler for a slow news day, so I think maybe it's not as big a deal as we'd......and yes, I include myself in that.........like for it to be.

A real, man-like giant creature alive and living amoung us without us knowing it? Hell yeah! That's mind boggling.

.....well, it would be if it was true.

Where is the "family"

Surely they do not self-propagate.

Why are they no "little" bigfoot prints?

Edited by pallidin
  • Like 1

It is my understanding that DNA evidence is impossible to fake. Why is it not major news if they have the DNA of an unknown creature that is closely related to man?

• Like 1

It is my understanding that DNA evidence is impossible to fake. Why is it not major news if they have the DNA of an unknown creature that is closely related to man?

Yep.

Lab creates fake DNA.

And this was 2009.

• Like 2

Where is the "family"

Surely they do not self-propagate.

Why are they no "little" bigfoot prints?

Actually, I'd speculate that there have been "little" bigfoot prints found but they would look more like normal human size prints and be dismissed as not being from a Biggy. Let's be real, unlkess I found a monster size print, I'd pass it off as a human as well. Unless it was very cold and I could see the print was shoeless/bootless.

• Like 1