Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Soul becomes part of Universe

ouija ouija

http://www.dailymail...rink-death.html

From the article: 'Near-death experiences occur when the soul leaves the nervous system and enters the universe, claim two quantum physics experts.'

'It is held that our souls are more than the interaction of neurons in the brain. They are in fact constructed from the very fabric of the universe and may have existed since the beginning of time'.

WOW!! :w00t:

So, how does this fit in with the fact that a lot of drugs can induce typical near death experiences? Does your soul think you are dying?

Only if you take everything the media tells you at face value and refuse to do any proper academic reading of your own. At their basic level, there is nothing in modern physics that "gives credence to religious or esoteric beliefs".

Although it does make me smile when people who are generally pro-spiritual and anti-science flock to defend any given scientist when their discoveries happen to correlate vaguely with the individual's new age beliefs.

That is not just a problem with popular media, but with the way that research articles are put out to the media by journals and institutions. This is something close to my heart that needs to be addressed.

• Like 1

There is actually a loss of 2 grams (or some such miniscule wieght) at the moment of death, so it's quite possible that wieght is the sould exiting the flesh.

That has not been reproducible, so I would not state it as a fact.

That has not been reproducible, so I would not state it as a fact.

So I hear. But you have to suppose that not too many people are on a scale at the moment of death. Could you imagine, you grandfather is in the hospital dying of colon cancer, the family is gathered, there are tears and heavy hearts, and in walks a doctor asking "do you mind if we put you on a scale to see if you lose 21 grams the moment you die?" So I would guess the reasons why this is not reproducible is not because they have tried many times. I would guess it hasn't been reproduced out of not wanting to appear to be crass.

Entanglement is a coherence between multiple objects. When an external force changes one (or all) of the objects, the coherence is broken. You can get the objects to be coherent again, but you can't put the original coherence back.

This, of course, is beside the entire point that while assuming groups of neurons might be quantum entangled is at least somewhat reasonable; extrapolating ``local entanglement'' to mean ``existence of a sole'' is pretty ridiculous.

Perhaps, no one has observed the original coherence going back into place yet? Or if they have, they haven't made their findings public for some reason.

Regarding your last sentence, I think that they are just 'feeling their way around' a bit as to what is going on and are calling it a 'soul' because it approximates to what some think of as such. It's not set in stone.

How does it not?

How do the four examples you give add any weight to your argument that these scientists are wrong because they are working outside their field?

So, how does this fit in with the fact that a lot of drugs can induce typical near death experiences? Does your soul think you are dying?

Presumably, yes.

Let create pointless hypothesis about Unicorns, while we're at it. How about fairies and angels, too?

Not a scientist, not a great thinker or even able to expand on my beliefs, but I do believe that the existence of unicorns, fairies and angels is just as viable as any of the hypothesis on the existence of soul in humans.

I don't discount anything. I don't laugh at or degrade anyone for their beliefs. If any of the latter beliefs can be examined, I read and absorb with dignity and trust.

Just because something comes from human fiction or mystical myths, does not necessarily mean it cannot ultimately be proven, if people will be opened minded and accepting of others thoughts etc.

Not a scientist, not a great thinker or even able to expand on my beliefs, but I do believe that the existence of unicorns, fairies and angels is just as viable as any of the hypothesis on the existence of soul in humans.

I don't discount anything. I don't laugh at or degrade anyone for their beliefs. If any of the latter beliefs can be examined, I read and absorb with dignity and trust.

Just because something comes from human fiction or mystical myths, does not necessarily mean it cannot ultimately be proven, if people will be opened minded and accepting of others thoughts etc.

You continue to live your world of unicorns, fairies and angels. I'll be over here with reality.

You continue to live your world of unicorns, fairies and angels. I'll be over here with reality.

ok imaginary, but reality sucketh big time.

ok imaginary, but reality sucketh big time.

Hey, I don't disagree. I would love for there to be bigfoots (bigfeet?) out there. How cool would it be if Nessie and Champ were real?

But the fact remains that all of these things, including souls, unicorn, fairies, angels and the like have been studied for years but much better men (and women) than I, and no one has been able to turn up one piece of evidence. Not one single piece. So after years (hundreds if not thousand, in some cases) we are left with the most probable conclusion that these things just simply don't exist.

Mistydawn didn't say she believed in those things ....... she just said she was keeping an open mind; which is what I would say: I don't believe or disbelieve.

Just noticed Insaniac's sig. in another topic:

'Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds'

Albert Einstein

Hey, I don't disagree. I would love for there to be bigfoots (bigfeet?) out there. How cool would it be if Nessie and Champ were real?

But the fact remains that all of these things, including souls, unicorn, fairies, angels and the like have been studied for years but much better men (and women) than I, and no one has been able to turn up one piece of evidence. Not one single piece. So after years (hundreds if not thousand, in some cases) we are left with the most probable conclusion that these things just simply don't exist.

Hey Imaginary.. I get what you say, but I refuse to give up on hope. Without hope, ugh.

Mistydawn didn't say she believed in those things ....... she just said she was keeping an open mind; which is what I would say: I don't believe or disbelieve.

Just noticed Insaniac's sig. in another topic:

'Great spirits have often encountered violent opposition from mediocre minds'

Albert Einstein

Thank you ouija ouija. Friends are hard to find. I kinow I probably come across as a wee bit demented, but belief in fairies, souls, etc to me, is hope. Hope in the fantastical, makes reality a bit more bareable. Anyhow, we could be trying to prove or disproove their existence for many milleniums to come, doesn't mean to say, that one day, one day, we might find the proof,... so I go on believing...

• Like 1