Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Wealthy Greeks Still Don't Pay Taxes

questionmark

Average Greeks are reeling under the strict austerity measures passed in order to balance the country's budget. Top earners, on the other hand, continue to evade the tax man. Most of the self-employed in Greece significantly underreport their earnings, whereas shipping magnates enjoy generous exemptions.

The principle of tax justice may be enshrined into the Greek constitution, but it has become increasingly obvious that not all Greek taxpayers are created equal. Currently, the government in Athens is preparing yet another round of harsh austerity measures, severely testing the cohesion of both the coalition and society. Already, such measures in combination with tax hikes have slashed average household income in Greece by half since the beginning of the crisis. Measures now planned will see pensions sink by 25 percent.

At the same time, though, a small elite of wealthy Greek ship owners is fighting to defend its tax-free status -- also, ironically enough, enshrined in the constitution. Meanwhile, other moneyed Greeks, including doctors, lawyers and engineers, continue to systematically avoid taxes. According to a recent study, seven out of 10 self employed Greeks significantly underreport their earnings. Indeed, though the crisis has been raging for five years now, many wealthy Greeks are under no more pressure to pay taxes than they were before.

Read more

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• questionmark

• OverSword

• skookum

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

My knowledge of Greece from family there has taught me everybody no matter who they are will do anything to avoid tax. Not particularly surprising to me top earners do the same.

My knowledge of Greece from family there has taught me everybody no matter who they are will do anything to avoid tax. Not particularly surprising to me top earners do the same.

And not surprising the government is flat broke.

And not surprising the government is flat broke.

So what is it that you enjoy that outweighs the economy and the politics? (if you don't mind my asking)