Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Can UFOs cause air accidents ?

Saru

Could the distraction of a UFO sighting during a flight be enough to cause a collision or crash ?

UFO debunker Robert Sheaffer puts it more bluntly blog: ". . . the number of fatalities in airline accidents caused by UFOs equals the number of motorists killed in vehicle collisions with unicorns. "

arrow3.gifRead more...

This article seems to be based on the assumption that the term UFO implies something of extraterrestrial origin.

I suppose, in theory, an aviation accident could occur IF a vehicle of ET origin presented itself unexpectedly in the path of an aircraft.

AFAIK, that has never happened.

It would seem unlikely that a vehicle and/or occupants capable of navigating through light years of our galaxy could not find it's way safely through our skies.

The fact is that UFO's do collide with aircraft and cause damage and accidents...however they are usually identified after the collision has occured, or seconds before...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bird_strike

I don't see why not even if they didn't collide. All the UFO's that I have heard about can move rather quickly in any direction so I would think an actual collision would be rare unless maybe there was a malfunction. I can understand where seeing a UFO might cause pilot error and that result in a crash.

I don't see why not even if they didn't collide. All the UFO's that I have heard about can move rather quickly in any direction so I would think an actual collision would be rare unless maybe there was a malfunction. I can understand where seeing a UFO might cause pilot error and that result in a crash.

There are ample reports to suggest that UFO's have interfered with car electrical systems and stopped engines. The implications for airliners are obvious and terrifying. There is no reason to suggest that plane systems are any more immune to powerful E-M interference than cars.

Look up Richard Haines, who has found many air incidents caused by UFOs. There have probably been more of these than we will ever know about.

Well, by definition "unidentified flying objects" could cause accidents. If they are unidentified and they fly, of course!

If there really are ETs flying around us, is of course a completely different question.

I could see it happening If like Zoser said it somehow interfered with the planes electrical systems

With all the UFOs flying around in space, as has been proven in the "More NASA UFOs?" thread, I'm surprised that a space shuttle or two haven't been downed.

Edited by Sweetpumper

With all the UFOs flying around in space, as has been proven in the "More NASA UFOs?" thread, I'm surprised that a space shuttle or two haven't been downed.

Well space is extremely big, How do you mean downed like literally had a collison or ?

I guess there's a lot less interference up there, not like down here where they can be taken out with radar like in the Roswell incident.

I think "ET" UFO's are far too advanced to allow a collision. Plus, planes are generally(not always) seperated by a relatively safe distance.

I guess there's a lot less interference up there, not like down here where they can be taken out with radar like in the Roswell incident.

Oh I see, Have I told you I really like your avatar :tu:

But it still points to evidence that UFO's do indeed exist! Naturally!

i was watching something on Tv the other night, about a UFO small plane accident in mexico a while back according to that show ( note that i am not saying i believe or disbelieve) there have been several small plane/ UFO accidents or very close calls over the years. Personally i think it is a better chance that the small planes were shot down as drug runners but the one in mexico was said to have a saucer recovered and a squad of mexican military dead as a result.

LOL, I never thought I would see "UFO" and "proven" in the same sentence.

Abstract:

Spherical unidentified anomalous phenomena (UAP), of both plasma and solid-like kinds, have often been observed in the world. Several monitoring campaigns have permitted us to know better some structural properties and temporal behaviour of such phenomena. On the basis of what has been observed so far, and considering the deduced constants that characterize the phenomenon, and of the consequent physical working-hypotheses that results, possible dangers to aviation are examined from several point of view of physical science; both natural and nonnatural features of these kind of UAP are considered. A systematic instrumented observational plan is proposed, involving both recurrence areas and time flaps of the phenomenon itself.

http://www.narcap.org/Projsphere/narcap_ProjSph_2.4_MaxTeo.pdf

• Like 1

Could the distraction of a UFO sighting during a flight be enough to cause a collision or crash ?

The main problem with this is which definition of 'UFO' everyone is using.

A bird flies past the cockpit, the pilot freaks out, the plane crashes. If we didn't know it was a bird, then a UFO caused the crash...

Edit: Like how recently that flying shark apparently endangered a commercial plane...

What's a time flap" ?

Time flaps maybe? Or time flapse? :ph34r:

Edited by Timonthy

In this 1974 case in Mexico, a UFO collided with a civilian plane and crashed. This probably accidental although it's possible the UFO was malfunctioning or had been damaged after being fired on in the US. NORAD was tracking the UFO on radar.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=25&ved=0CGkQFjAOOAo&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.where-is-area-51.com%2Fufo-crash.html&ei=786UUKGEO5Os8QTLkoG4Ag&usg=AFQjCNF4CMbZvybX_cwZ6ixkNpAptLECRA&sig2=uVQhRWtNGf_8B8bgN4_SUg

DENVER – The Federal Aviation Administration is investigating a mystery in the sky. A mysterious object flying over Denver nearly caused a mid-air collision Monday evening, 9Wants to Know has learned.

As investigators know, the mystery object did not show up on radar Monday.

Investigators believe this object, whatever it is, could pose a serious safety hazard to planes.

Radio transmissions from LiveATC.net confirm a nervous-sounding pilot reported a strange object at 5:17 p.m. Monday.

The pilot is heard telling air traffic control: “A remote controlled aircraft, or what? Something just went by the other way … About 20 to 30 seconds ago. It was like a large remote-controlled aircraft.”

The corporate jet, a Cessna Citation 525 CJ1, was flying at 8,000 feet above sea level over Cherry Creek when the mystery object came close enough to make any pilot nervous.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=&esrc=s&source=web&cd=40&ved=0CGQQFjAJOB4&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.museumoftheweird.com%2F2012%2F05%2F22%2Fufo-almost-causes-crash-over-denver%2F&ei=jtCUUMyxCoq69QS0_oGwBw&usg=AFQjCNGY3ICFVhj2fT3UaY1-FoxXiEA6fA&sig2=lwa8gq5xWGUUb79VvsO8GQ

Wonder why some ufo's show up on radar and some don't?

Thanks, themacGuffin, for the link i couldn't find ( i am not that good with computers) that was the one i was talking about, save that the show i saw said one of the us team was the person talking about it. with no names given and no evidence it's kinda hard to confirm. but if there are exterestrial craft in wandering thoughtour atmosphere it is bound to happen eventually if it hasn't already.

In this 1974 case in Mexico, a UFO collided with a civilian plane and crashed. This probably accidental although it's possible the UFO was malfunctioning or had been damaged after being fired on in the US. NORAD was tracking the UFO on radar.

http://www.google.co...NGf_8B8bgN4_SUg

Maybe this one is a tall tale?

Did you see the disclaimer at the end of the story?

This makes a great story, but is it true?

No documentation has ever been released by either the Mexican or US governments about this UFO crash. All of this is taken from rumor and the telling of the story over and over again. Until documentation about this event is made available to the public the truth may never be known.

• Like 2

No documentation has ever been released by either the Mexican or US governments about this UFO crash. All of this is taken from rumor and the telling of the story over and over again. Until documentation about this event is made available to the public the truth may never be known.

That has never stopped a compelling UFO story from making the rounds, but it's a good observation all the same. :tu:

I saw it, but I thought it was such a wimpy, limp and wishy-washy thing to say that I couldn't abide it.

It was a real UFO case, though.

Edited by TheMacGuffin
  • Like 1