Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

China Seeks Role as Second Superpower

questionmark

Next week, Beijing will open its 18th party congress at which the Communist Party will select the country's new leader. One of the core issues at the meeting will be the role in China of a military that has gained considerable influence. Some in the party are unhappy with its powerful position.

Everyone who attended the event later said that this sort of thing had never occurred before, not once since the communists assumed power in China 63 years ago and the party assumed control of the military. It also happened when everyone was in a mood to relax, at a "holiday banquet" in honor of top generals.

The Communist Party in Beijing had organized the banquet in February to emphasize harmony between politicians and the military. When a senior officer in the air force was about to make a toast to his comrades in the political camp, General Zhang Qinsheng pushed him aside and shouted: "Enough of this cajolery! There are pigs in the party who are plotting against me!" Then he berated President Hu Jintao, who was also sitting at the table, and accused him of being part of the conspiracy against him. The outraged Hu stormed out, and the military officers still in the room had trouble controlling Zhang, who allegedly kept yelling obscenities.

Read more

Seems rather a pity that some British Generals don't grow some balls, if one is allowed to use that phrase, and say what they really think of the Political leaders.

• Like 2

Although the caption you quoted "Some in the party are unhappy with its powerful position" sounds like there are some leaders in China that don't feel they need to dominate with thier military, I found no content in the article to support that. I guess I may be reading it wrong and the phrase means they aren't happy with the current strength of the military and would like to develop it.

A few or maybe five of years ago members of the Chinese military, including generals wrote blogs and they had some scary propaganda in them. One of the aspects about China that freaks me out is claims of Sovereignty they make about not only taiwan, but because there are records that they fielded expeditions to North America there have been Generals that have made public statements that they have rights to parts of Canada, the U.S., and Mexico. They make the same claim concerning vast swaths of Siberia. And also the Senkaku (however it's spelled) Islands, currently claimed by Japan.

I find Chinese sabre rattling disturbing and anticipate that with a new president with closer ties to the military than any of his predeccesors the world is not going to feel like a safer place.

• Like 1

I don't trust China or their motives.

• Like 1

I don't trust China or their motives.

Thats because your proberbley american!

As for the topic itself!

the problem here is that like most of the countries in the region the military has more political and economical influence than the government itself! often acting as a completley separate entity, this can be a very bad thing pakistan is a very good example.

Edited by .AKUMA.

Thats because your proberbley american!

Does one have to be American not to trust them?

• Like 2

The Chinese have the patience to wait,maybe a 100 yrs to get what they want,the Western world doesn't have that.How is their economy booming when the rest of us are in the pit ?

The Chinese have the patience to wait,maybe a 100 yrs to get what they want,the Western world doesn't have that.How is their economy booming when the rest of us are in the pit ?

because stupid (bought off) politicians let almost all our manufacturing move to china :whistle:

• Like 1

Does one have to be American not to trust them?

And why shouldn't anyone trust china?

Have china started any wars in the past few years?

Has china invaded nations over oil?

Has china armed terrorists to over throw a nations government?

Has china invaded nations over a lie?

Has china launched drone strikes in territory belonging to its own "alleged" Allie, killing their civilians?

and the list goes on!

so who is more trustworthy

Has china launched drone strikes in territory belonging to its own "alleged" Allie, killing their civilians?

and the list goes on!

Did america kills 50-80 million of their own people? :whistle::no:

• Like 1

Did america kills 50-80 million of their own people? :whistle::no:

Were did you make this number up from? I cant find any evidence of such a genocide, either way my response was to the post regarding" trusting china" with all the events that have taken place over the years the united states seems to be the nation no one can trust!

Were did you make this number up from? I cant find any evidence of such a genocide, either way my response was to the post regarding" trusting china" with all the events that have taken place over the years the united states seems to be the nation no one can trust!

made it up? i'm sure the relatives of the dead beg to differ. seriously, just google the mass deaths that occurred under Mao's great leap forward. it's truly shocking - makes stalin and hitler's total look civil.

• Like 1

made it up? i'm sure the relatives of the dead beg to differ. seriously, just google the mass deaths that occurred under Mao's great leap forward. it's truly shocking - makes stalin and hitler's total look civil.

My mistake just looked up "the great leap forward"

Truly......Truly! shocking!! Either way this has very little relevance to trusting china on the international stage.

• Like 1

I wouldn't trust either of them. In fact, I don't trust Human Governments, period.

My faith lies in the Heavenly Government.

• Like 1

I guess I may be reading it wrong and the phrase means they aren't happy with the current strength of the military and would like to develop it.

I think it may be that the military in China, at least according to its political leaders, is that it has too much influence and that its domestic power needs clipping.

and the list goes on!

while I am no fan of america , the tibet and dali lama situation shows that china is no innocent.

Their economy is slowing, as is Indias. They have already boomed.

• Like 1

Because they use slave labour to manufacture and trade products at a cheaper price than any western country can afford. They have 13% of their population (approximately 130 million) living under the poverty line (less than $US1.25 a day per person). This is only possible because of the strict political and military mono party domination of the communists. No Unions and no protesters are able to break this hegemony. When they tried years ago thousands died (Tiananmen Square protests).

• Like 1

If money or resources get low, too expensive I bet China will just walk into neighbouring countries and take them over. By then there will probably be no nation with the ability or the will to stop them.

• Like 1

If money or resources get low, too expensive I bet China will just walk into neighbouring countries and take them over. By then there will probably be no nation with the ability or the will to stop them.

Stopping China wouldn't be as hard as everyone here seems to think it will be. All one would have to do is to stop Chinese food production, if I remember correctly having a population of around 2 billion, starving them out would be rather easy. It would be impossible for China to have enough food reserves to last any meaningful amount of time and what nation would be capable or willing to supply them with food. Invading neighboring countries for food wouldn't be an option for China. I doubt south east Asia could produce enough food for China and even if it could much of the food production would be damaged or destroyed, North Korea can't even feed themselves and South Korea I doubt produces enough food to feed China and even if it did I am sure the people their would fight to the death and destroy their food production to keep China from acquiring it, Mongolia isn't good for growing crops, India has an equally large population and would be extremely hard for China to invade successfully, I don't know much about Kazakhstan or the countries bordering China in that region but I doubt they could produce enough food for China. Lastly invading Russia just wouldn't be an option.

Even if they could conquer neighboring countries and get enough food to keep going all that would mean is that food production would just have to be destroyed. Basically to stop China all it would take is a few bombing raids and cruise missile strikes with maybe a little naval bombardment as long as it target food production.

Thats because your proberbley america

That's right I am American, what does that have to do with it?

americans arent all dumb you know, what makes people think that? 2000 yrs ago, everyone was jealous of the roman empire...ok so everyone is jealous of the US, i understand.

anyone can see why china shouldnt be trusted. denying it will not make it any less dangerous. in survival of the fitest, its us or them. i choose us to survive.

Just look at what is happening in Africa. there are over 800,000 Chinese workers there. taking the natural resources. the Chinese openly admit they hope to increase the work force to 10 million by 2020. in order for the Chinese economy to grow they need resources and Africa is the place.

If you follow 'janes defence' you'll find the chinese military growth month on month is alarming, and only recently they launched their first aircraft carrier - okay it was old Russian refurbished carrier and currently has no planes. but its what the carrier symbolises, a bold China planning to project its force around the world.

in 2011 President Obama met with the British Prime minister and wants the UK to deploy the Royal Navy east of Suez, something we haven't done since handing over Hong Kong in 1997. - the future is always uncertain but the UK should be trebling the size of the Royal Navy. cutting back on the army - we've seen how costly it is to have a land based force embroiled in foreign lands. the UK as no plans to go empire building so an Army based on defense and expeditionary force. but with a strong Naval Force.