Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Drying clothes indoors could be a health risk

Still Waters

Hanging wet laundry on a radiator or clothes horse could raise the risk of asthma by increasing the amount of moisture in the air, researchers claim.

A study found that a fresh batch of washing can account for up to a third of the moisture in rooms with poor ventilation or closed windows after it is hung up.

Having more moisture in the air creates ideal breeding conditions for mould spores and dust mites which have been shown to cause asthma, academics said.

http://www.telegraph...ealth-risk.html

• Like 1

I seem's like they was paid either by a tumble dryer manufacturer or by the energy companies (or both) to do that research

Those academic's need something better to do......

Edited by Jackofalltrades
  • Like 1

Using a dehumidifier solves this problem.

• Like 2

i agree that drying clothes indoors without ventilation is going to contribute to excess moisture, especially in basements. that mildewy smell is not just unpleasant, it's potentially hazardous!

• Like 1

In the winter more moisture is beneficial, because the air is so dry from the heater.

• Like 2

We actually have two clothelines, in this hundred year old house, from where my husband's grandmother used to hang clothes in front of the woodburning stoves. They reel out and attatch to hooks on the other side of the room. It's pretty cool.

Edited by Michelle
  • Like 2

I try to pick a day when it can be hung outside, don't like cloths hung everywhere.