Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Angler catches 100 different species of fish

Still Waters

It has cost him thousands of pounds and 14 rods, but this determined angler has successfully completed a challenge to net over 100 different varieties of fish off the coasts of Britain.

Trevor Cozens travelled 60,000 miles and cast his line in all four seas around the British Isles to catch an array of weird and wonderful ocean creatures - from a monstrous 200lb skate to a tiny rare pumpkinseed fish.

http://www.dailymail...ecies-fish.html

• Like 1

With the worlds oceans facing an impending mass extinction it won't be long before we see stories like 'Last bluefin tuna to be auctioned' and 'last Cod in the north sea caught by angler'.

And this guy's 'achievement' is meant to be something to be applauded?

:no:

Love fishing and love eating fish, never been into catch and release but catch and eat for sure.

Fishing for sport is cruel :td:

Fishing is very relaxing, and a great way to keep things off of your mind, or clear your mind if stressed out. There is nothing wrong with catch and release, the fish are not hurt. As a matter of fact, they are fish...I have released a fish that continued to hit my lure 3 more times. Caught the same fish 4 times within a hour. Not to smart huh?.Catch and release of many fish are vital for gathering information on said species.

Right now, I am fishing for Salmon. I keep 2 for my wife, 1 for me to smoke, and about 2 or 3 more for family and friends. After that, I fish for " sport ". I catch and release them. When I rel;ease them, either someone else catches them, or they go up the fish ladder to be spawned out by the hatchery, or they go up river and spawn out. Then they die.

Catching 100 species is impressive, I would love to have that guys job on River Monsters.

Not sure how many I have caught...

3 or 4 types of cat fish

Kokanee Salmon

Coho Salmon

Chinook Salmon

Northern Pike

Small mouth bass

Large mouth bass

Shad

Sturgeon

Rainbow trout

Brown trout

Cut throat trout

Walleye

Cod

Flounder

Sea bass

Steelhead

Croppie

Carp

Lahonton Cut throat trout

Makinaw

Bluegill

Bullhead

Mountain Whitefish

Perch

Tuna

More I am sure, but can not think of them......After listing them, maybe 100 is not as impressive as I thought, especially if the Ocean is available. ( was very limited for me )

Edit to add : I do not eat anything that lives in the water, except canned tuna, with a lot of mayo and relish.......Go figure.

Edited by Sakari
  • Like 1

Fishing is very relaxing, and a great way to keep things off of your mind, or clear your mind if stressed out. There is nothing wrong with catch and release, the fish are not hurt. As a matter of fact, they are fish...I have released a fish that continued to hit my lure 3 more times. Caught the same fish 4 times within a hour. Not to smart huh?.Catch and release of many fish are vital for gathering information on said species.

Right now, I am fishing for Salmon. I keep 2 for my wife, 1 for me to smoke, and about 2 or 3 more for family and friends. After that, I fish for " sport ". I catch and release them. When I rel;ease them, either someone else catches them, or they go up the fish ladder to be spawned out by the hatchery, or they go up river and spawn out. Then they die.

Catching 100 species is impressive, I would love to have that guys job on River Monsters.

Not sure how many I have caught...

3 or 4 types of cat fish

Kokanee Salmon

Coho Salmon

Chinook Salmon

Northern Pike

Small mouth bass

Large mouth bass

Shad

Sturgeon

Rainbow trout

Brown trout

Cut throat trout

Walleye

Cod

Flounder

Sea bass

Steelhead

Croppie

Carp

Lahonton Cut throat trout

Makinaw

Bluegill

Bullhead

Mountain Whitefish

Perch

Tuna

More I am sure, but can not think of them......After listing them, maybe 100 is not as impressive as I thought, especially if the Ocean is available. ( was very limited for me )

Edit to add : I do not eat anything that lives in the water, except canned tuna, with a lot of mayo and relish.......Go figure.

I repeat... Fishing for sport is cruel. It's needless suffering for the fish if they are just caught and thrown back. A horrific experience just to satisfy mankinds desire to say 'hey look what I've got'. '

Edited by Bling
  • Like 3

I repeat... Fishing for sport is cruel. It's needless suffering for the fish if they are just caught and thrown back. A horrific experience just to satisfy mankinds desire to say 'hey look what I've got'. '

Do you eat fish?

I don't say " look what Ive got ", as a matter of fact, I have very few pictures of my bounty.

Impressive list .... ever caught a Sockeye Salmon?

No Sockeye...

Edited by Sakari

Do you eat fish?

I don't say " look what Ive got ", as a matter of fact, I have very few pictures of my bounty.

No Sockeye...

Yes I eat fish. Fish caught for food, not sport.

You have very few pictures of your bounty.....how nice.

Yes I eat fish. Fish caught for food, not sport.

You have very few pictures of your bounty.....how nice.

Did not mean that in a bad way...

Ok, you eat fish for food.......

Let me know out of these two videos, what is more cruel, more stressful.....

Glad I do not eat fish and support that cruel, selfish, sickening crap......

Glad I do not eat fish and support that cruel, selfish, sickening crap......

You don't eat fish...but you hunt them for sport? I think we'll have to agree to disagree here as I don't want to offend you :)

You don't eat fish...but you hunt them for sport? I think we'll have to agree to disagree here as I don't want to offend you :)

You would not offend me, just a forum, and we are people, people do not all ways agree.

I fish for relaxation, stress relief, and a hobby. Salmon runs, like right now. I have caught 2 fish ( run just started ), my wife has the first one here, cut into steaks, in freezer bags for her. The second one went to a property owner who lets me fish his property. The 3rd through 6th will go to family / friends, and the rest will go back in the water, to swim upstream, lay eggs, fertilize eggs, and die.

You did not answer me about the videos?

I consider the fishing industry ( for food ) the worst thing going on for fish. Actually, stats will show this. We are killing them off, from this industry.

Sport fishing ( I throw mine back healthy ) is not doing anything to hurt the numbers at all.

• Like 1

You did not answer me about the videos?

I consider the fishing industry ( for food ) the worst thing going on for fish. Actually, stats will show this. We are killing them off, from this industry.

Sport fishing ( I throw mine back healthy ) is not doing anything to hurt the numbers at all.

Just watched them - don't rush me! ;) They are hardly representative of the whole fishing industry in my opinion. I only eat line caught fish personally because I am aware of these things going on.

• Like 1

Just watched them - don't rush me! ;) They are hardly representative of the whole fishing industry in my opinion. I only eat line caught fish personally because I am aware of these things going on.

Oh trust me, when it comes the the factory ships, and commercial fisheries....Nothing good comes out of them. I am not talking family owned, mom and pop boats out of Port Orford, and like seen on Deadliest Catch, I am talking the giants....

Now, are you only buying things that say " line caught ", or ones you caught yourself?

When you say line caught, that is long lining...Not really a fair deal either. Many fish get caught that should not be. ( I live near Port Orford and Bandon, Fregon...Fishing communities )

Now here is how tuna should be caught commercially......I feel anyway.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BLUXC24bDrs

Now, are you only buying things that say " line caught ", or ones you caught yourself?

I don't go fishing, I buy my fish from the shop - let someone else smell fishy!

If anything, hook an line should be encouraged. The main thing destroying the ocean ecosystem is using those massive nets that just reel in anything. Maximise profit, minimise time, maximise intake of untargeted marine life and reap out whole shoals. A completely unsustainable process on a wide scale.

• Like 1

I could think of better ways to spend my money, but to each his own.