Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

STAR TREK 2 ,Into The Darkness

Simbi Laveau

Overall I enjoyed the reboot of Trek so I'm looking forward to this one.

I especially liked Karl Urban as McCoy.

Even Chris Pine endeared himself to me with his Shatner-esq delivery of certain lines.

Re-booting a classic like Trek is such a big ask because it's so well known. Every character is a hosehold name, every nuanced word and gesture known to the fanbase and subject to critique. To re-boot the franchise this way meant that they had to try and remain true to the original to keep existing fans and draw in the new as well.

I think that they did 'ok' and that was about as much as they could have achieved.

The only thing that worries me about the new ST-into darkness, is the (rumoured) inclusion of Khan.

I personally think that the klingons or Romulans would have been a 'wiser' choice.

I say that because Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan, is thought of by many fans as the highpoint of the franchise.

The best of the films by a country mile.

The best Enterprise against another fan favourite, The Miranda class U.S.S Reliant with her Phaser Cannon.

The space battle to end all space battles as the two ships hunt each other blind in the Mutara Nebula.

Ricardo Montalban puts in a performance that 'wowed' everyone and he was a risky choice as he wasn't exactly at the height of his 'cool' during his 'Fantasy Island' years.

He was a GOD to the fans after this!

There are so many lines and moments in that movie that are completely burned into the consciouness of the fans.

Checkov: Bot-a-ny bay?..........Botany bay.... BOTANY BAY!

Khan: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Carol Marcus: Can I cook or what?

Khan: To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

Kirk: KHHHHAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

What worries me is that IF they make this new movie a battle with Khan, it's inevitably be compared to 'Wrath of Khan', and that's one of the all time great Sci-Fi movies.

Edited by Atlantia
  • Like 1

Overall I enjoyed the reboot of Trek so I'm looking forward to this one.

I especially liked Karl Urban as McCoy.

Even Chris Pine endeared himself to me with his Shatner-esq delivery of certain lines.

Re-booting a classic like Trek is such a big ask because it's so well known. Every character is a hosehold name, every nuanced word and gesture known to the fanbase and subject to critique. To re-boot the franchise this way meant that they had to try and remain true to the original to keep existing fans and draw in the new as well.

I think that they did 'ok' and that was about as much as they could have achieved.

The only thing that worries me about the new ST-into darkness, is the (rumoured) inclusion of Khan.

I personally think that the klingons or Romulans would have been a 'wiser' choice.

I say that because Star Trek 2: The Wrath Of Khan, is thought of by many fans as the highpoint of the franchise.

The best of the films by a country mile.

The best Enterprise against another fan favourite, The Miranda class U.S.S Reliant with her Phaser Cannon.

The space battle to end all space battles as the two ships hunt each other blind in the Mutara Nebula.

Ricardo Montalban puts in a performance that 'wowed' everyone and he was a risky choice as he wasn't exactly at the height of his 'cool' during his 'Fantasy Island' years.

He was a GOD to the fans after this!

There are so many lines and moments in that movie that are completely burned into the consciouness of the fans.

Checkov: Bot-a-ny bay?..........Botany bay.... BOTANY BAY!

Khan: He tasks me. He tasks me and I shall have him! I'll chase him 'round the moons of Nibia and 'round the Antares Maelstrom and 'round Perdition's flames before I give him up!

Carol Marcus: Can I cook or what?

Khan: To the last, I will grapple with thee... from Hell's heart, I stab at thee! For hate's sake, I spit my last breath at thee!

Kirk: KHHHHAAAAAAANNNNNNNN!

What worries me is that IF they make this new movie a battle with Khan, it's inevitably be compared to 'Wrath of Khan', and that's one of the all time great Sci-Fi movies.

I loved the reboot.

Initially,i had planned to boycott it.

I saw who they cast in each part,and was not impressed.

Then i saw a few scenes,and finally gave in and watched it.

I've met Karl Urban .He wasn't huge yet. It was at a xena convention ,and he was kind of a dick to be honest ,but he's a great actor.

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

I loved the reboot.

Initially,i had planned to boycott it.

I saw who they cast in each part,and was not impressed.

Then i saw a few scenes,and finally gave in and watched it.

I've met Karl Urban .He wasn't huge yet. It was at a xena convention ,and he was kind of a dick to be honest ,but he's a great actor.

Oh that's a shame. He's good on screen and I thought his McCoy was probobly the best performance of the reboot.

I've met Walter Koenig. Sadly just after James Doohan died so that cast a bit of a shadow over things. But we had quite a chat about Trek and Babylon 5. And for that matter Futurama!

He's a really nice guy.

Hey, everyone should go to at least ONE sci-fi convention! ;)

I went to one where all the original Battlestar Galactica cast were appearing and spent a couple of hours chatting to them all!

Ahhhhh, good times! Geeeky good times! ;)

Oh that's a shame. He's good on screen and I thought his McCoy was probobly the best performance of the reboot.

I've met Walter Koenig. Sadly just after James Doohan died so that cast a bit of a shadow over things. But we had quite a chat about Trek and Babylon 5. And for that matter Futurama!

He's a really nice guy.

Hey, everyone should go to at least ONE sci-fi convention! ;)

I went to one where all the original Battlestar Galactica cast were appearing and spent a couple of hours chatting to them all!

Ahhhhh, good times! Geeeky good times! ;)

Ohhh,I went to star trek cons in the 70s and 80s. I've met George,Nichelle,Walter .

Shatner and Nimoy,never did the east coast ones .

At xena cons I met Kevin Smith .......and it still breaks my heart we lost him .What and awesome guy .

Met Ted Raimi ,and the girl who played Callisto ,who's name eludes me just this sec.

Again,Rene and Lucy,never did the east coast cons. Boo hisses....

Karl is great is all his parts,but yah,he said some obnoxious stuff to one of my friends ,and the love affair with him was over after that .

We loved him as Cesar and Cupid .

• 1 month later...

I loved JJ Abrams original remake and this looks awesome, can't wait.

• Like 1

Hopefully it's Q appearing early due to the timeline being changed, but probably won't be. I hope it's not Kahn because he isn't due in the series for another 10-15 years according to the original timeline. Can't see how Spock changing this timeline would also change events in Kahn's life so much that he would show up early (and even if he did it would be the Kahn from the program, not the older one from the film). Who i think it is, is that guy from the second pilot who encountered the thing that gave him superhuman abilities. The Starfleet officer. Gary michell.

Who says there has to be only one villan though? ;)

Whoever it is Im seriously looking forward to this film. More so than even the superman reboot.

Also, I hope the writers remember with this series that there is a giant supercomputer headed home to earth! Though that isn't due to happen for about 20-30 years or something.

Edited by ExpandMyMind
  • Like 2

pretty sure its gary mitchell thats the villian im almost positive karl urban slipped up and said it was him at a convention before being quickly hushed

pretty sure its gary mitchell thats the villian im almost positive karl urban slipped up and said it was him at a convention before being quickly hushed

Looking at the IMDB description - 'After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.' - it is pretty clear to me that it fits the description of Mitchell perfectly.

In 2265, Mitchell was a lieutenant commander assigned as the helmsman aboard the USS Enterprise, by request of Captain Kirk. That year, the Enterprise discovered the flight recorder of the SS Valiant, a vessel missing for almost two hundred years. Examining it, and exploring the Valiant's last known position, the Enterprise penetrated the galactic barrier, an event that proved disastrous for Mitchell, and nearly so for the rest of the crew.

Mitchell was briefly stunned by direct contact with the strange energies of the barrier, but he recovered quickly. As his recovery continued, however, he began to display a widening array of psionic abilities, including but probably not limited to:

• Hypercognition
  • Conscious regulation of autonomic reflexes
  • Telepathy
  • Extrasensory perception of various kinds, including clairvoyance, clairaudience, and clairoratory
  • Telekinesis
  • The ability to control energy, including both its directed use as a weapon against other organisms, and an invulnerability to phaser weapons
  • The ability to manipulate matter, including the instant materialization and dematerialization of both organisms and objects

These abilities, or perhaps the energy itself, began to fundamentally alter Mitchell's personality; he became progressively more emotionally distant, cruel, ruthless, and convinced of his own magnificence. Worse, with the passage of time, his abilities continued to grow stronger at an exponential rate

http://en.memory-alpha.org/wiki/Gary_Mitchell

• Like 1

Looking at the IMDB description - 'After the crew of the Enterprise find an unstoppable force of terror from within their own organization, Captain Kirk leads a manhunt to a war-zone world to capture a one man weapon of mass destruction.' - it is pretty clear to me that it fits the description of Mitchell perfectly.

which is good because i wasnt big on seeing a new khan personally

• Like 1

Me neither.

• Like 1

Well I never thought it was Khan ,but Mitchell is boring to me,compared to Q .What can I say ...

How so? He almost has the power of Q.