Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

File Attachment System Changes

Saru

The way in which file attachments in posts appear has been changed, instead of the actual picture appearing in the post, a link to it will appear instead, which details the name of the file and how large it is. This is the same as non-image attachments work at the moment. To view/download the attachment, simply click on it.

This change has been made for two reasons, one is that some of the attachments are so large that they completely distort the screen for anyone trying to view the forum - this problem seems to have increased recently, and not only does it look terrible but makes trying to browse a thread near impossible. Secondly it will help people with slower connections who might not want to wait for 1mb worth of attachments to load, and can instead click on each image they want to view one at a time.

An example of an image attachment is shown below. You can change where the attachment text is located from the attachment menu when you post. You can still also attach as many as you like to any single post, as long as the total filesize does not exceed 1mb.

post-3-1096890405.jpg

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Saru

• Universal Absurdity

• Janiel

• Thistle

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

you mean i've got to click on the link to see a picture now, oh my lord more effort...

nah only joking it will save having giant photos on threads that make the threads all huge...

cool.gif

well done SaRuMaN...

So there is a reason for this! Thought my computer screwed up!..... laugh.gif

Well done! Fantasic! No more distortion, Good show SaRuMaN..... thumbsup.gif

YEY that's a fantastic idea Mr S thumbsup.gifgrin2.gif

Will the URL's from attached images still work for avatars?

Will the URL's from attached images still work for avatars?

I think so, they should do.

Can anyone confirm this who's tried to use an attachment in their avatar or sig ?

sad.gif No, It did'nt work

"Sorry, but the URL you entered for your avatar was incorrectly formatted or the link is not valid."

The url i used was http://www.unexplained-mysteries.com/forum/index.php?act=Attach&type=post&id=3471 , I got it from both, clicking the link and getting the url in properties from the image, and getting the url from the link.

Edit- Added the pic here for 2nd test

post-2070-1096994781.gif

Edited by UniversalAbsurdity

Ah, that is a problem. I'm not sure what to suggest at the moment, i'll see if i can find a workaround on the support forums.

Ok i've increased the maximum avatar upload size to 100k, so to upload an avatar all you need to do is use the avatar upload option in the control panel. If the avatar is larger than that then it's too big anyway.

That should solve the problem, at least for now. thumbsup.gif

As always, you have exceeded in making this one of the best forums on the net thumbsup.gif

Thank you