Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

9/11 Movie called Towers of Terror

MysteryMike

No this isn't a joke. I'm not kidding, but there's a director who's going to make a 9/11 movie about zombies.

I was very tempted not to post this bit of news, as it gives the makers of the film I’m about to discuss press that they do not deserve. Yet the concept for this movie is too atrociously insensitive not to report. This sort of idiocy is bound to grab headlines eventually, so ladies and gentlemen, I give you the trailer for TOWERS OF TERROR. It’s an indie zombie film whose pitch can be summed up as “9/11 with zombies.” No, I’m not joking.

To writer/director Matt Gibson I can only ask-- what in the name of all that is good and decent made you think this was a good idea? Eleven years after one of the most heinous events in American history and you decide to do a movie version of it with zombies? For that matter, what sane person would go along with this concept? Did you brainwash a group of people into financing, acting, and producing this callous, completely abhorrent idea of yours? How does something like this get made!?!

I… I just can’t. This is we’ve come to, taking heartbreaking real-life tragedies and redoing them with zombies. Mr. Gibson, if you are reading this, please abandon this awful project and spare yourself the embarrassment of having to defend TOWERS OF TERROR against an angry internet. As for the rest of you, the trailer and poster are below if you can stomach them.

On September 11, 2001, two groups decide to race to the top of each of the World Trade Center buildings. The towers are hit by terrorist attacks, but the terrorists don't die in the plane crash; they resurrect as zombies hell-bent on their mission to destroy America. As these undead jihadists continue on their path of destruction armed with box-cutters and nail-clippers, the Americans must learn to stand united in their patriotism or else face gruesome death in twin 110 story bloodbaths!

http://www.joblo.com/horror-movies/news/the-most-offensive-idea-ever-is-now-a-movie

Edited by MysteryMike

No words.

No words.

Me too. This is offensive to those who died on that day.

The description made me giggle a bit, no lie. But hey, Nazi zombies are cool, eh? What, do we have to wait fifty years before someone's allowed to use 911 as a setting for fictional events? I say go for it.

• Like 1

I support this movie.

I don't care how insensitive it is. You can't outlaw a movie just because you feel it hurts feelings. Does this movie infringe on your rights? No? Well then it gets too exist.

• Like 1

When's 'it's okay now'?

20 odd years - I'm thinking of things like Hogan's Heroes that laughed at the Nazis.

• Like 1

20 odd years - I'm thinking of things like Hogan's Heroes that laughed at the Nazis.

Never seen the Devil with Hitler then, eh? It was made when Hitler was still alive, and made him seem like a bumbling fool, instead of tyrannical man who orchestrated the genocide of whole people, also it mentions concentration camps, and is incredibly racist, but we've gotten past that stage now.

I think anything is open to anything, no matter how offensive it is because we're protected by free speech, no matter how offensive or stupid. Hey, the movies getting made, I agree it's a bit in bad taste but it seems silly nonetheless. People will agree and disagree, but as long as the first amendment exists, we're going to be offended by things, but it allows us the right to say things are as well.

Edited to add: Also, if it offends you, just don't go see it.

Edited by Hasina

I can see where if you knew someone that died on that day it might bother you. Plus some people are still dealing with illness caused by the clean up so its not really over for many.

• Like 1

Never seen the Devil with Hitler then, eh? It was made when Hitler was still alive, and made him seem like a bumbling fool, instead of tyrannical man who orchestrated the genocide of whole people, also it mentions concentration camps, and is incredibly racist, but we've gotten past that stage now.

I think anything is open to anything, no matter how offensive it is because we're protected by free speech, no matter how offensive or stupid. Hey, the movies getting made, I agree it's a bit in bad taste but it seems silly nonetheless. People will agree and disagree, but as long as the first amendment exists, we're going to be offended by things, but it allows us the right to say things are as well.

Edited to add: Also, if it offends you, just don't go see it.

'Devil with Hitler' was a propaganda film though, so it was made for different reasons and perceived differently by the audience. I'm not 'up in arms about it'. I just think that it's too soon.

I can see where if you knew someone that died on that day it might bother you. Plus some people are still dealing with illness caused by the clean up so its not really over for many.

Probably for the people who dealt with the actual carnage (filling body bags) it's too soon as well.

But what's too soon? When is it okay to make a film such as this? We have zombies in the Civil War, in World War II and in numerous other historical and even modern instances. Wearer of Hats has answered me '20 odd years', that sounds maybe about right if I was one of those people who was bothered by such things as being 'too soon' and the like. I feel it's almost like a coping mechanism when we can look back on a scenario that's occurred and think 'what if' about it. There have been alternate history books about 'what if 9/11 never happened'. Is that too soon as well? Because it does just remove all those people who died 'from history' or within that fictional history, or what have you. When something is made into a fictional film it's set in it's own universe, that's what makes it not offensive, it's a fictional universe. Now, if it was a film saying 'hey guys, this is what really happened during 9/11, zombies happened' then I might agree with you.

It may be insulting, but that's kind of the point, isn't it. To tell you the truth, I'd see it.

But what's too soon? When is it okay to make a film such as this? We have zombies in the Civil War, in World War II and in numerous other historical and even modern instances. Wearer of Hats has answered me '20 odd years', that sounds maybe about right if I was one of those people who was bothered by such things as being 'too soon' and the like. I feel it's almost like a coping mechanism when we can look back on a scenario that's occurred and think 'what if' about it. There have been alternate history books about 'what if 9/11 never happened'. Is that too soon as well? Because it does just remove all those people who died 'from history' or within that fictional history, or what have you. When something is made into a fictional film it's set in it's own universe, that's what makes it not offensive, it's a fictional universe. Now, if it was a film saying 'hey guys, this is what really happened during 9/11, zombies happened' then I might agree with you.

All your points are valid. I just want to introduce you to another one.

You mentioned 'Wearer of Hats' twenty year reference. He was also making reference to 'Hogan's Heroes', which I feel was also way too soon. As a kid, I was watching documentaries about WW2, and then 'Hogan's Heroes' came on TV and I was supposed to laugh at 'the funny bumbling German guards'... It confused my sense of morals.

But that's what they were portrayed as, Germans. The only time a bad guy showed up in Stalag 13, he was wearing a nazi patch. 'He' was an evil nazi.

But to get back to my long lost point. I don't think that 'Hogan's Heroes' was ever broadcast in Israel. That's a case of, 'it's never going to happen' as opposed to, 'how soon is too soon?'.

Edited by Likely Guy