Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Curiosity takes stunning self-portrait

Saru

NASA's Curiosity rover has used its robotic arm to take a detailed photograph of itself on Mars.

The mosaic shows the rover at "Rocknest," the spot in Gale Crater where the mission's first scoop sampling took place. Four scoop scars can be seen in front of the rover.

arrow3.gifRead more...

• Like 3

Damn Narcisstic Robots! I bet it posted pictures of itself all over its Facebook page too!

• Like 1

Very nice picture, still trying to see the arm holding the camera.

The beginning of the boom arm can be clearly seen between the right front wheel(facing us) and the main chassis.

Is that footprints on the left? (wee footprints)

Edited by Eldorado
  • Like 1

Is that footprints on the left? (wee footprints)

Look more closely.

Those are the remains of scoop marks for soil analysis.

• Like 1

Amazing piece of machinery will become mankind's R2D2 or C3PO. Hope we see some videos from that angle while it goes about its business too.

• Like 1

The beginning of the boom arm can be clearly seen between the right front wheel(facing us) and the main chassis.

I can't figure out the second picture, whats holding the camera up?

I can't figure out the second picture, whats holding the camera up?

Yeah. That is a little strange.

Starbuck621 mentioned the same thing, in a way, in his earlier post on this thread.

There seems to be a clear shot(mosaic) which might account for this unusual aspect.

That is, being a "mosaic" compilation, perhaps NASA edited it for a "full-shot clarity"

Does anyone here know?

Yeah. That is a little strange.

Starbuck621 mentioned the same thing, in a way, in his earlier post on this thread.

There seems to be a clear shot(mosaic) which might account for this unusual aspect.

That is, being a "mosaic" compilation, perhaps NASA edited it for a "full-shot clarity"

Does anyone here know?

It is a mosaic of 55 separate images.

Imagine holding a camera and taking 55 separate images of yourself, when you make the mosaic the arm which held the camera will not appear in the finished product because it was always behind the camera.

• Like 3

It is a mosaic of 55 separate images.

Imagine holding a camera and taking 55 separate images of yourself, when you make the mosaic the arm which held the camera will not appear in the finished product because it was always behind the camera.

Only a Narcisstic robot would take so much time and money to send back home a photo Of its self to put on his Garage wall !

Is Curiosity a Female or Male or Bi ?

Hey Waspie ! How did the Curiosity take the photo`s that are shown without showing the boom that holds the camera ?

So NASA did not show the one with the boom incld ?

Edited by DONTEATUS

Hey Waspie ! How did the Curiosity take the photo`s that are shown without showing the boom that holds the camera ?

So NASA did not show the one with the boom incld ?

You could try actually reading the post of mine you quoted as that was exactly what I was explaining.

You could try actually reading the post of mine you quoted as that was exactly what I was explaining.

The question I actually had to you ,Excuse my Ignorance, Was Why they didnt show the Arm extension in a Shot ? You Need to Work on your people skills there mate ! A Bit rude and snappy IMO

• Like 3

Rich Boys Toy .

I think most of the guys at JPL are on regular scientist salaries.

I cant get enough of Curiosity pictures,... truly amazing the things we can do when we put our mind to it.

• Like 2

I cant get enough of Curiosity pictures,... truly amazing the things we can do when we put our mind to it.

ITs other worldly ! I too Love the FACTS that we can do this ! :tsu:

sorry if im an idiot... but in the second picture... is that spose to be itself taking a pic of itself...because you can see the whole robot in the second pic and there is no arm or anything that is not in the shot. or is something else taking it that i dont know about? i dont really listen to all this NASA stuff. So if there were 5 robots on the planet, then i would not know. lol

EDIT.....oops.... should of read the comments first! Sorry to be repetitive.

Edited by thalassinus
  • Like 1

sorry if im an idiot... but in the second picture... is that spose to be itself taking a pic of itself...because you can see the whole robot in the second pic and there is no arm or anything that is not in the shot. or is something else taking it that i dont know about? i dont really listen to all this NASA stuff. So if there were 5 robots on the planet, then i would not know. lol

EDIT.....oops.... should of read the comments first! Sorry to be repetitive.

Don't worry...you are not an idiot. Consider for a moment however that you were an idiot. You wouldn't know you were an idiot...so you wouldn't be apologizing for thinking that maybe you were an idiot and if you were not an idiot then no apologizing for being an idiot would be necessary. Phew.... :unsure2:

• Like 2

The question I actually had to you ,Excuse my Ignorance, Was Why they didnt show the Arm extension in a Shot ? You Need to Work on your people skills there mate ! A Bit rude and snappy IMO

You know that is a darn good question. It's like someone at NASA is feeding the conspiracy theorists, and we all know what they say

Curiosity killed the cat!

What the hell that cat was doing on Mars in the first place I have no idea!

• Like 1

Yeah, the second picture clearly shows absolutely no attachment to the camera.

You can see the ground!

I would say that the boom IS there, but was edited-out for clarity.

After all, these are mosaic pictures.