Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Ban Christmas lists for children says charity

Still Waters

I remember the 'rich' kids coming back to school bragging about what Santa brought them...I was a good girl, and Santa enver brought me what I asked for. Let me tell you, that really hurt and added a lot of confusion. Of course, my brother soon told me about Santa and although I was devestated, it explained why I never got what I asked for at Christmas. Maybe that is why the Polar Express is one of my favourite Christmas shows.

But, again, I make sure my daughter gets what she asks for at Christmas, just limited. I want her to have great memories.

I think it is lovely you will do what you can to give her great memories... I do that too...I put what I can afford away months before Christmas allowing me to save... I buy a few presents from September onwards.. Leaving December free with nothing more to buy..I never feel the need to rush out before Christmas ...Years before I had kids. I never would have saved, and I was usually broke come Christmas...Don't ask lol But having kids taught me to be more careful with money and save..

I teach my kid, that if you want nice things , you have to earn it.. Growing up anything we wanted, we earned it.. as long as it was not overly expensive.. I have always worked hard to get the things I wanted.. My kids will do the same

I think it is lovely you will do what you can to give her great memories... I do that too...I put what I can afford away months before Christmas allowing me to save... I buy a few presents from September onwards.. Leaving December free with nothing more to buy..I never feel the need to rush out before Christmas ...Years before I had kids. I never would have saved, and I was usually broke come Christmas...Don't ask lol But having kids taught me to be more careful with money and save..

I teach my kid, that if you want nice things , you have to earn it.. Growing up anything we wanted, we earned it.. as long as it was not overly expensive.. I have always worked hard to get the things I wanted.. My kids will do the same

And that us what I want to instill in ny daughter. It is really unfortunate (actually it p***es me off) for her to come home and tell me how her friends get to go to concerts and have all the latest gadgets when I work hard for everything we get and make her do chores...and other parents say that childhood is for playing and not working. I told her that those parents aren't doing their kids any favours, they will move out and not have a clue how to clean their house properly.

I'm just going to give my kids coal. I'm sure that will teach them real quick. Santa sees all.

Funny that! I was just in a store and saw chocolates that look like lumps of coal....should go get some lol

Yes, her list to start with had up to 4 items on it, that is what she would usually ask for, just a few items.. She never asks for anything expensive..She is fascinated with science and wants to be a doctor...She never stops talking about the planets and how great it would be to see other planets ..She asked for a starter telescope.. they are not expensive, so I said if you are good, and your report cards are good, then you will get one... She is determined to learn more.. We get her kids science books to read that will help her on her way.. They don't teach science at her school, so we do what we can to encourage it at home.

When we told her she could add a few more items on there, she didn't believe us, because every other year she was told only a few items....But her dad said ,you worked your backside off, and done well..You helped your mom out when little Aaron came... You are eager to learn more.. this will be the only year you can add a few more on..Due to the fact we now have the little one Aaron..when we have more kids the presents shrink..She understands ... She still thinks we are tricking her by saying you can add a few more on.. I feel good she asked for things that encourages her further..and I don't feel bad for the list.. When we added up the total cost.. it was not that expensive...and it is worth it .It's once a year and I am not going to sweat it....

I think this is a great intimidate you have implemented as parents. I am sure she will get plenty of use and learn an abundance of things from those presents. Every child should receive such a balance of learn and play every Christmas. A big *thumbs up* to your family.

Edited by Orcseeker
  • Like 1

And that us what I want to instill in ny daughter. It is really unfortunate (actually it p***es me off) for her to come home and tell me how her friends get to go to concerts and have all the latest gadgets when I work hard for everything we get and make her do chores...and other parents say that childhood is for playing and not working. I told her that those parents aren't doing their kids any favours, they will move out and not have a clue how to clean their house properly.

A correct you are... You have taught your daughter how to stand on her own two feet, that to me is miles ahead of those kids who have parents that don't do the same.. I wont allow my kids to slack off..My daughter is rather good at helping out, she used to hate it and now loves doing the chores.. She now is learning how to do basic cooking with me in the kitchen.. In time her and her brother will learn to stand on their own two feet

I think this is a great intimidate you have implemented as parents. I am sure she will get plenty of use and learn an abundance of things from those presents. Every child should receive such a balance of learn and play every Christmas. A big *thumbs up* to your family.

I agree..If she wants to learn, I am not going to stop her..

Edited by Beckys_Mom