Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tool making cockatoo

evil_kenshin

A captive-bred cockatoo has stunned scientists by fashioning small tools to help it reach food placed just out of reach.

The Goffin Cockatoo, named Figaro, has been filmed breaking off splinters from a wooden beam to help it reach nuts placed on the other side of its wire enclosure, according to the BBC.

http://news.ninemsn.com.au/world/2012/11/06/16/55/tool-making-cockatoo-stuns-scientists

Must be an extremely smart cockatoo as normally its only crows/ravens that you hear in terms of birds using tools, though figures its hauled away off to a lab for experiments.

• Like 4

Smart bird!

MacGyver! XD

• Like 1

A captive-bred cockatoo has stunned scientists by fashioning small tools to help it reach food placed just out of reach.

The Goffin Cockatoo, named Figaro, has been filmed breaking off splinters from a wooden beam to help it reach nuts placed on the other side of its wire enclosure, according to the BBC.

http://news.ninemsn....tuns-scientists

Must be an extremely smart cockatoo as normally its only crows/ravens that you hear in terms of birds using tools, though figures its hauled away off to a lab for experiments.

Heh, the parrot knocked the peanut from the ridge first, and someone had to put another peanut to give the parrot another chance.

Rooks and crows have been filmed using a wire that they bent in the shape of a hook to get what they could only easily get with a hook.

Well ok, maybe parrots will eventually catch up...

:P

• Like 1

I had a Goffin cockatoo for many years. My ex-wife still has him now. He'd be about 30 years old now.

He can do all kinds of clever things.

When he was young he figured out how to open his cage latch, which was tricky, even I had trouble with it because it was very stiff. I put a combination lock on it, and from seeing me open it, he started playing with it. He would spend hours turning the dial back and forth with his beak and claws. Don't get excited...he never figured out the combination, he just mimicked the action.

He could open a jar of peanut butter if you didn't put the lid on too tight.

I used to put a piece of plastic tube in his cage with peanut butter in it which he couldn't reach...he learned with time to use drinking straws I gave him to play with to dig out the treat.

I tought him some cool tricks. The best one that always impressed visitors to our home was I could say "get me a smoke" and he would open my pack of cigarettes, pull one out and bring it to me.

They can talk quite well too.

Only drawback to having them is sometimes they get in the mood to screach and it would go on for an hour or more. It would drive you nuts when he wouldn't shut up.

• Like 3

Figaro should be allowed to vote. He'd at least be more informed than the people Howard Stern interviewed, that's not really saying much, but it's something.

Edited by WoIverine

Oh great, soon we will be out-sourcing to Cockatoos. :passifier:

• Like 1

I use to have a parrot and they are very smart.

When I lived in this one apartment I lost him one day. He was green and the carpet was green. I like to of never found him. He was following me around.

I had a Goffin cockatoo for many years. My ex-wife still has him now. He'd be about 30 years old now.

He can do all kinds of clever things.

When he was young he figured out how to open his cage latch, which was tricky, even I had trouble with it because it was very stiff. I put a combination lock on it, and from seeing me open it, he started playing with it. He would spend hours turning the dial back and forth with his beak and claws. Don't get excited...he never figured out the combination, he just mimicked the action.

He could open a jar of peanut butter if you didn't put the lid on too tight.

I used to put a piece of plastic tube in his cage with peanut butter in it which he couldn't reach...he learned with time to use drinking straws I gave him to play with to dig out the treat.

I tought him some cool tricks. The best one that always impressed visitors to our home was I could say "get me a smoke" and he would open my pack of cigarettes, pull one out and bring it to me.

They can talk quite well too.

Only drawback to having them is sometimes they get in the mood to screach and it would go on for an hour or more. It would drive you nuts when he wouldn't shut up.

Mine use to screech so loud that I was afraid it would make the neighbors mad.

Mine use to screech so loud that I was afraid it would make the neighbors mad.

I have 2 cockteils a male and fermale, they have never built any tools but they sure know how to make me nuts with the screeching. My boy can say a few phrases, that he learned to mimick on his own, learned a few songs but his ability to make my eyes cross and my muscles twitch with insanity is his best trick! Even his mate gets tired of it and she pecks him when she's had enough! Lol his look of confusion when that happens always cracks me up... Like he's wondering what her problem is, all he was doing was singing a most beautiful song for her... sheesh!

Edited by Lava_Lady

They're smart and they love to jam.