Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Are Mormons a cult ?

mfrmboy

Personal perception is my answer. If you're part of a religion and there are sects of it, you may view those as cults, you may view other religions as cults, etc and so forth. If you're atheistic you may view a religion or spiritual group or whateva as cults. It's all in what you perceive as your personal belief, what you see as a 'religion' and what you see as a 'cult'. For me, it's all wordswordswords, cults, religions, lack of belief, it all can help and it all can hurt.

The basic concept of Cult can be differentiated by the object of worship... wheras sects may have differing beliefs, but objectively worship God himself, Cults would favour the worship of a person in the place of God.

Is Joseph Smith just a Prophet, or is he something more than that, what is his special relationship to God contrasted with all others? Does he place God and Jesus in the correct light?

God is in the still small voice. In all these affidavits, indictments, it is all of the devil--all corruption. Come on! ye prosecutors! ye false swearers! All hell, boil over! Ye burning mountains, roll down your lava! for I will come out on the top at last. I have more to boast of than ever any man had. I am the only man that has ever been able to keep a whole church together since the days of Adam. A large majority of the whole have stood by me. Neither Paul, John, Peter, nor Jesus ever did it. I boast that no man ever did such a work as I. The followers of Jesus ran away from Him; but the Latter-day Saints never ran away from me yet.

History of the Church, Vol. 6, pp. 408-409

Address of the Prophet - His Testimony Against the Dissenters at Nauvoo.

He's oohh sooo modest.

He's oohh sooo modest.

Therin I think lies the distinction between a sect of a religion and a cult.

Never thought of my Grandfather and friends as mambers of a cult .....The Masons.

Technically,masons are an ordered organization ,with alleged secret rituals .

It's not a religion as far as I know.

You can be a Catholic ,and a mason

Any groups that carries "magic underwear" against Native American arrows belong to a cult.

Technically,orthodox Jews ,and the Japanese ,wear special underwear that is alleged to protect them.

One is religious,one is cultural .

This is nothing new .

Religions are organized,and should worship a deity of some kind ,without personal liberties being exploited.

Monies are donated .

Cults usually have a human leader ,who designates who does what,and limits members freedoms.

Money is requested ,not donated . ie scientology or EST .

Some cults worship some sort of idol ,but there is always a human at the helm ,who controls it all.

And please don't akin the Pope to this kind of figure head.

Popes are appointed by a jury of peers.

Cult heads are self appointed .

These are very key differences in my opinion .

Mormons believe in god and heaven ,and do no harm .

Mormons are a false religion. Mormons believe in god and heaven???? Apparently, you don't know much about their false religion. It is a far out as Scientology. Jesus originally came to earth as Adam and brought one of his many wives with him. If Jesus gets enough wives and children he can someday be a god like God the Father and have his own planet. They change the rules or requirements when it is expedient -- such as polygamy dropped in order to get into the US union as a state. But they still revere Joseph Smith as a true prophet.

They do no harm????????? The great, granddaughter of Brigham Young named Sandra Tanner was born and raised in the Mormon church. She and her husband had their eyes opened and wrote a book, "Major Problems With Mormonism" in which they did extensive research to show and teach others how evil Joseph Smith was and how he married men to multiply wives even after he denounced polygamy for political reasons. As you said, a cult has one self made leader. That was Joseph Smith. So go to her web site. But be careful that you get her web site; because the deceptive Mormons have used so many ways to cause you to land at their web site instead.

• Like 1

A religion sounds crazy to a person who doesn't follow that religion AND it's done harm to followers of it? What a shocking and unexpected turn of events. -monotone-

Mormons are a false religion. Mormons believe in god and heaven???? Apparently, you don't know much about their false religion. It is a far out as Scientology. Jesus originally came to earth as Adam and brought one of his many wives with him. If Jesus gets enough wives and children he can someday be a god like God the Father and have his own planet. They change the rules or requirements when it is expedient -- such as polygamy dropped in order to get into the US union as a state. But they still revere Joseph Smith as a true prophet.

They do no harm????????? The great, granddaughter of Brigham Young named Sandra Tanner was born and raised in the Mormon church. She and her husband had their eyes opened and wrote a book, "Major Problems With Mormonism" in which they did extensive research to show and teach others how evil Joseph Smith was and how he married men to multiply wives even after he denounced polygamy for political reasons. As you said, a cult has one self made leader. That was Joseph Smith. So go to her web site. But be careful that you get her web site; because the deceptive Mormons have used so many ways to cause you to land at their web site instead.

Anyone who is so ARROGANT ,that they feel the need to put down any religion,is no better than a radical .

Morons baptise everyone ,to make sure they get INTO heaven ,which I actually find just as arrogant as your attitude ,but it works for them.

I know the entire story ,and unlike scientologists,they do not force their practices or collect monies ,from anyone .

Scientology is not recognised as a true religion,by anyone.

They have only rich members for a reason .Or haven't you noticed ,they're all rich ?

They do not recruit on skidrow...Mormons accept anyone.

They do no harm to anyone else,and they are generally nice people. I don't agree with all their practices,but who am I to condemn it ,when I worship gods of the dead and cemeteries .

I have two mormon friends ,one a very close friend,and she is someone I cherish .

The other converted to Mormonism ,and it saved him from a life of drugs and depravity .

Whatever it is they do ,it works for many people . It's no one place to bash it,especially when they are probably a complete religious hypocrit themselves .

Edited by Simbi Laveau
  • Like 1

Morons baptise everyone ,to make sure they get INTO heaven ,which I actually find just as arrogant as your attitude ,but it works for them.

I believe you got that right. LOL

They are also not representative of the Moron religion, they are a fringe group. There are less than 10000 members compared to 14 million LDS.

The moron religion? That's priceless. :clap:

• Like 1

Technically,masons are an ordered organization ,with alleged secret rituals .

It's not a religion as far as I know.

You can be a Catholic ,and a mason

Strictly speaking, no, that's not correct.

But go ahead. :yes:

• Like 1

Not any stranger than drinking wine to represent blood, and pretending to eat the flesh of a slaughtered savior or any other of the different Christian practices from snake handling to cutting peices of little babies penus off. It's all the same to me.

What's wrong with getting your own planet anyway? There are plenty of them out there. I'll pass on the multiple wives thing though... That sounds more like hell :devil:

Edited by Seeker79

Strictly speaking, no, that's not correct.

But go ahead. :yes:

Which part isn't correct ? That you can be of a certain religion AND a mason ?

Or something else ,as it was an example.

The Vatican denounced freemasonry ,however,they also denounce premarital sex,pedophilia, and abortion .I don't see that stopping anyone from doing them,including their own priests .

The Vatican deounces all paganism and witchcraft,and I am living proof,a Catholic can tell the Catholic church to **** off .

Go figure .

I know a few people,of various religions,including Catholic,that are also masons .

So your point is ?

Christianity began as a Cult . . . a Cult is defined as "a group whose beliefs or practices are considered abnormal or bizarre", this immediately transfers to "Us against Them" scenarios.

Which part isn't correct ? That you can be of a certain religion AND a mason ?

Or something else ,as it was an example.

The Vatican denounced freemasonry ,however,they also denounce premarital sex,pedophilia, and abortion .I don't see that stopping anyone from doing them,including their own priests .

The Vatican deounces all paganism and witchcraft,and I am living proof,a Catholic can tell the Catholic church to **** off .

Go figure .

I know a few people,of various religions,including Catholic,that are also masons .

So your point is ?

How many Catholic masons do you really know? Seriously?

The Catholic Church and the Masonic Temple have never been bed mates.

Geez, I had to go back up to the top to read what the title of this thread is.

It's about Morons. Sorry, no, Mormons.

Simbi Laveau - love that name, what does it actually mean? Who cares, it just rolls off the tongue.

Are Mormons a cult?

If Scientology is a religion then Mormons are a religion.

Imagine if the Scientologists had a state like Utah.

Hang on, don't they have Germany?

Simbi Laveau - love that name, what does it actually mean? Who cares, it just rolls off the tongue.

Are Mormons a cult?

My uncle ,who was italian ,and quite devoutly catholic,was a mason,as were most of my uncle's on that side of the family . He got me a woman's masons ring. It's the star ,with each point a different stone ,and a diamond in the center . I can take a photo of it.

As far as I know,they all joined after serving in ww2 . The masons now also recruit women ,of all ethnicities,to do various form of fund raising.

I know this because I know a russian,orthodox Jew russian,from russia ,woman,who does this for them .

They fly her all over the country to special meeting etc .

And scientologists do have a state. It's called hollywood..

Ive known Mormons,and I've known scientologists .

One are a bunch of pushy *******s,and the other gave us a cool pop band from the 70s . None of whom have died from an od of prescription drugs .

Edited by Simbi Laveau

Are Mormons a cult?

What do you mean? Scientology is not even classified a religion in Germany.

The Mormons (LDS) could be viewed as a cult by some. They are a religion that was founded as a scam.

• Like 1

Mormonism is a religion, they see their Belief System as the True Christianity, they have their own cosmology like any other religion.

The word Cult comes from the Latin cultus "worship", from the adjective cultus "inhabited, cultivated, worshipped", derived from the verb colere "care, cultivate".

• Like 1

I went to rockaway nyc today,to help with clean up and so forth .

The place does look like a bomb hit it . Rows and rows of burned charred rubble,that used to be homes and stores.

Endless sanitation truck,as there is so much debris to be removed.

Guess who was going house to house,helping these poor people empty out tons...TONS of debris .Up and down staircases ,for hours.

Mormons. Groups of Mormons were going block by block ,helping people ,just clean ,for hours .

They refused money ,and just did it ,to HELP .

I didn't see any scientologists on the island .

Duh

• Like 1

They are all cults, but somewhere along the line the word cult has been deemed to mean part of a satanic group....just like the pagans. When i mention the word pagan, most people relate it to witchcraft and black magic...which is not the case at all.

When jesus started out, (alledgedly) it would have been as a cult..surely?

The Mormons are as much of a cult as any other religion. Just because they have different beliefs doesn't make them one. Yes they practice different things, but they are still extraordinary people with very kind hearts. The masons aren't cults either. Some of the most famous people in history were Masons. It's not a cult it's a misunderstood belief system.

All religions at high level align to Sirius and Alnilam, usaully in a passive manner by event and buildings, all religions have a few bad people who align terrorist actions but i wouldn't smear all by actions of the few....like all religion Mormons are not perfect, what happened below, was aligned to Alnilam on 11th September 1857, but by that measure it is stupid to think they were connected to 11th September 2001 that was aligned the same way:-

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Mountain_Meadows_massacre

We should never blame one group for the beliefs of many esoteric groups!