Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Religious beliefs and the election

Magicjax

I'm just curious. If you're in the US did or would your religious belief effect who you did or would vote for?

I can see that it could for some people. I know it depends on if they'll bring their religious beliefs into their decision making. In some cases I can't see how they can't play a part. For example bush certainly let it effect stem cell research.

Just curious how much of a consideration it really is/was to people. I know the answers will vary from person to person.

Me too. But there's a lot of talk about it in this election particularly with one of them being a Mormon. The other getting steam for not saying "god bless America" I know it's all mostly hype. That's why I asked the question directly.

Some say if the Mormon church demands something. By the "rules" of the religion he must comply. That's what they say anyway. That doesn't mean the church will or he'll obay if they did. Heck hes changed his mind so many times on issues who knows what hes capable of changing. Including his religion if it doesn't fit his agenda. But I've read that issue voiced.

Edited by Magicjax

Not really, I try to maintain a secular stand. In away it is because I have a very Pagan moral base, that is very different from a Christian moral base.

Me too. But there's a lot of talk about it in this election particularly with one of them being a Mormon. The other getting steam for not saying "god bless America" I know it's all mostly hype. That's why I asked the question directly.

Some say if the Mormon church demands something. By the "rules" he must comply. That's what they say anyway. That doesn't mean the church will or he'll obay if they did. But I've read that issue voiced.

Same thing with Kennedy and the Pope.

People are going to vote for those that reflect their own beliefs whether its religious, abortion, the economy.

I don't really have a religion. And personally, I don't care what religion someone is, you will get my vote if you stand for what I believe in.

I couldn't vote..but if I could have, I most likely would have picked Romney .......Because he seems like a nice man lol I like Obama too..

Hopefully Romney will run again next term and win...

I couldn't vote..but if I could have, I most likely would have picked Romney .......Because he seems like a nice man lol I like Obama too..

Hopefully Romney will run again next term and win...

Just shoot me, please. Ask his poor dog how nice he is, he put him on roof rack on the car, then ran down the freeway. Poor dog, the man is a jerk.

• Like 4

Just shoot me, please. Ask his poor dog how nice he is, he put him on roof rack on the car, then ran down the freeway. Poor dog, the man is a jerk.

He must have been watching - National Lampoons Vacation then lol ...No wait, the Griswolds had their dog tied to the back of their car and drove off down the freeway lol

Lighten up Dark..it doesn't matter to me who won.. I cannot vote...

You know, that weighed much more heavily on my mind than his religion. In my opinion, that incident, combined with the lack of evidence of any subsequent regret or understanding why anybody would question him about it, revealed a debilitating blind spot, an inability to empathize with another sentient being's suffering, or even an inability to reason about another human being's ethical thinking. His mask slipped, in my view.

And, although it is unrelated, except for not being about his religion, either: allowing an aide to crow "We're not going to let fact checkers run our campaign" was just about the stupidest thing for any campaign official to say.

Maybe it's just my circle of friends, but I don't know anybody personally who thought there was anything in particular which Romney could be counted on to stand for, because he'd stood on both sides of so many issues at one time or another.

But, just to put in a word for religious tolerance. As the Cardinal of New York noted, it was the first time in American history that there was a Roman Catholic on both national tickets (Biden and Ryan). I think it's good that, by and large, we do often look past religious differences, and that America would be an even better place if there could be more of it.

I never felt that Romney was shoving Mormonism down my throat, anymore than I thought Ryan or Biden was shoving Catholicism. If anybody cuts me some slack, then I'll cut them some, too. I think that's the American way :) .

Edited by eight bits
  • Like 2

:tu: I didn't even know Biden or Ryan are Catholic, that is how much I care about what their religion is. Yes the whole dog thing nailed it for me. If that is how he is going to treat a dog, how is he going to treat me. Even if a Pagan was running if I didn't agree on major issues then he is not getting my vote. .
  • Like 1

Truth be told, religion has no place in politics

I would also like to say I did not think of religion as I voted. Times as they are, I end up looking at who is the most religious and staying away from them.

United States is to much of a mix of religions and non religious people. And that is how it should be. Politics needs to stay away from religion and religious people should not look for political gains for their faith/religion.

P.E.R.I.O.D

Maybe some day there will be a presidential race in which religion/faith is something that is not to be spoken about or tolerated within speeches.

I hope I am still alive if that ever happens.

• Like 3

Actually if they want to bring religion in to politics let them but they need to let God do his whole job. That judgement thing is his job not theirs. They say to give what has been given fine... you say God has given us free-will then let us use that gift. You cannot give free-will if your taking away choice by silly out-dated laws.

That is what in God we trust means on the dollar bill. We trust in our choices, our free-will.

I knew he was shot in the foot with his traditional attitude towards women. To many strong independent women in this country. Even in his last little speech he basically thanked his sons wives for being good little house wives. Im a bit of a feminist so it bugged me a bit.

Still Obamas economics is a desaster that is going to get worse. He and his staff don't seem to have the slightest clue how real economies or businesses work..... to bad. Businesses in the US will continue to flee. Our loss.

This is why I am a libertarian.

Dosnt matter anyway. I live in CA my vote dosnt count.

I knew he was shot in the foot with his traditional attitude towards women.

That is exactly what I was thinking.. I thought, if he is going along and agreeing with Ryan on his views about women ..voting against them getting equal pay, making many forms of birth control illegal and favouring pro life.. I cannot imagine many women going along with this.. I think he knew fine well that giving the amount of strong women in the USA that this could cost Romeny the election.. I thought to myself - Was this his plan? You would nearly think Ryan deliberately got Romeny to go along with those views knowing it would cost him the election, unless they are both as dumb as bricks.. Not to forget their views on immigration.. The amount of people who have immigrated to the US and became voters.. will sink them too.. and that looks exactly what happened

Romney and Ryans views on women alone sure messed it up for ..They shot themselves in the foot

Edited by Beckys_Mom

I'm just curious. If you're in the US did or would your religious belief effect who you did or would vote for?

I can see that it could for some people. I know it depends on if they'll bring their religious beliefs into their decision making. In some cases I can't see how they can't play a part. For example bush certainly let it effect stem cell research.

Just curious how much of a consideration it really is/was to people. I know the answers will vary from person to person.

I would not worry one single bit about a candidates religion. We have checks and balances to keep any one person from fundamentally changing the nation based on their religious beliefs.

I would not vote on a president based on his personal views either, Gay Marriage, aborttion, etc....

The ONLY thing i look at when voting is which candidate is going to follow the constitution and keep our nation safe and fiscally responsible.

Period! Thats it. Ron Paul would have been absolutely perfect in my opinion, actually he would be the ONLY person that i saw who would have put the nation first, ahead of any agenda or political motives to try to please every group in the nation.

Our politicians today just want to please the special interest groups to ensure they stay in power as long as possible.

Obama 4 more years?

What did he bring to us in the first four years that warrants a continuation?

nothing but debt, lies, and deceit all while using Bush as a scapegoat.

What did he bring to us in the first four years that warrants a continuation?

nothing but debt, lies, and deceit all while using Bush as a scapegoat.

Yes, because the US only hit recession when Obama was elected...Obama and his big ideas on going to war in Iraq .. Didn't anyone tell Obama that going to war will be costly? Silly man lol

Edited by Beckys_Mom

The recession began with Katrina in 2005 when they shut down some of the oil refineries in the gulf of Mexico, I was working at a truck stop at the time, fuel prices jumped 150%, which in turn they passed it onto the consumers. The market really started it's descent in august 2008, when bush was in office not obama.

• Like 1

Presidents do not cause recession. It's very simple. The housing market was over leveraged. The highly available money in the form of preditory loans creates a false demand. A demand that is only driven by the availability of money, that creates upward pressure in prices, everyone sees the paper gain on the market and tried to get in on it by takeing out more predatory loans which again creates more upward pressure. It's a vicious cycle.

The fed saw what was happening to late. The ticked up interest rates and all those predatory loans became unmanagable. Boom! massive economic failure. It's quite nearly the same thing that happened in 1929 ( the start of tge great depression) with margin calls just in a different market with different dynamics and instruments.

3 groups of people at fault. 1st the banks. Banks were attempting to gouge the market. They jumped on the equity bandwagon and should have known better. They were clueless that it was their own money driving the prices.

2nd. loan agents. These people are the scum of the earth. Their entire existence is to protect their clients with fiduciary duties. They failed miserably and would let the average consumer get into any kind of scrap loan just so they could get paid. It's my opinion that many should have spent some time in jail. They are hired to protect people... That's their job, but most of them sold their clients out for cash. Many of them got rich during those times.

3. The fed. They should have known what would have happened when they jumped interest rates. They also fell asleep at the wheel very early on in the game.

I doubt the president even realizes these things, he certainly didn't if he blames bush. Presidents DO NOT control the money supply. And thank god they don't.

Edit: Real estate agents are not much better than loan agents.

Edited by Seeker79

That is exactly what I was thinking.. I thought, if he is going along and agreeing with Ryan on his views about women ..voting against them getting equal pay, making many forms of birth control illegal and favouring pro life.. I cannot imagine many women going along with this.. I think he knew fine well that giving the amount of strong women in the USA that this could cost Romeny the election.. I thought to myself - Was this his plan? You would nearly think Ryan deliberately got Romeny to go along with those views knowing it would cost him the election, unless they are both as dumb as bricks.. Not to forget their views on immigration.. The amount of people who have immigrated to the US and became voters.. will sink them too.. and that looks exactly what happened

Romney and Ryans views on women alone sure messed it up for ..They shot themselves in the foot

That's my point of view, also. I didn't want Romney to get in because of these issues. I thought that it would mean a horrible future for women in the US if he was voted in.

That's my point of view, also. I didn't want Romney to get in because of these issues. I thought that it would mean a horrible future for women in the US if he was voted in.

It certainly did seemed like they were unaware that women vote aswell...Mabey more so then men. I guess when you whare certain types of goggles, your own little world will bite you in the end.

Still Obama is completely a lost cause economically. Romney would have made the better choice for fiscal matters, but if I had a daughter, I would not have wanted her to come of age in a Romny country.

So vote for me. I'll meet the age requirement in the next election. Seeker79 for president. The first Native American libertarian president. Fiscally conservative and socially libral. you will have to forgive me for pretending to be christian for a few years, but it's the only way to get elected in this country that is supposed to separate church and state.

Edited by Seeker79
  • Like 1

Doesn't matter...unless they are scientologists...that is a no go for me...

• Like 3

Truth be told, religion has no place in politics

I would also like to say I did not think of religion as I voted. Times as they are, I end up looking at who is the most religious and staying away from them.

United States is to much of a mix of religions and non religious people. And that is how it should be. Politics needs to stay away from religion and religious people should not look for political gains for their faith/religion.

P.E.R.I.O.D

Maybe some day there will be a presidential race in which religion/faith is something that is not to be spoken about or tolerated within speeches.

I hope I am still alive if that ever happens.

If I could have "Liked" this again I would have!! I couldn't have said it better.