Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

More children should be put into care

Render

More children at risk should be put into care, says a committee of MPs examining child protection in England.

They warned that too often the benefit of the doubt was given to neglectful parents who then failed to improve.

The MPs also said there was insufficient support for older children, particularly when vulnerable youngsters left the care system.

The government said any abuse was "unacceptable", adding it was "mid-way through a major reform" of the system.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/education-20226345

• Like 2

Yes. More children should be put into care imo because some parents do more harm than good.

The raising of children should be classed as the most honourable and professional position anyone can hold.

And those who fail in their duties as a parent should have their children removed.

• Like 1

Just recently over here a woman put her 9mth old child in the oven and turned it on high, her sister heard it

crying and got her out and also yesterday a mother was a arrested for trying to sell her 8yr and 10 yr to

peadophiles. She got their names off of child sex offenders website and contacted them.

Never should they be allowed to get their children back or allowed to keep any future children they might have

regardless of any therapy they under go. Evil b****es.

• Like 2

I think before we go putting any more kids into state care than necessary, we need to rethink the state care system. The state is an appalling parent. Children are placed wherever there is a bed, and often there is not much consideration of whether a placement is suitable. Foster carers have to jump through hoops to demonstrate that they are suitable to parent, but state funded care homes can inadvertently place kids with other kids who are violent and abusive, further traumatising them.

I have been the night duty worker for many years in state funded care homes, and let me tell you, if it means a case contract from the state department, an agency will put a kid wherever they can cram a bed. I've spent many nights watching bedroom doors, and I've busted kids sexually assaulting younger kids in the same home. And not just fondling. Even with double staff and alarms on every door, it happens. It is a certainty. I just make sure to be hypervigilant when I'm on duty.

Kids are shunted from one home to another, which means that they lose important, trusting relationships with specific staff. These kinds of relationships are vital for kids, especially in the absence of a family connection. They fall out of the education system. Not many kids in care get all the way through secondary school. Some of them don't even make it through primary school. Then there is what we call "behavioural contamination," where inexperienced kids are placed with kids who have had extensive experience with the judicial system, with petty and not-so-petty crime, with sexual perpetrating behaviours. If you want to turn a kid into a sexual criminal, put them in a house with older kids who have been sexual abusers.

I could go on and on, but it's too depressing. If a niece or nephew of mine had to be put in care, it would be over my dead body. We need more foster parents, and we need better diligence around the safety of care homes. We need to make child protection a more respected and rewarded occupation, with better professional supports so that good staff don't get burn-out and quit. Just chucking kids into homes and believing that they will have anything but a below-par outcome, is about as bad as leaving them in an abusive home.

• Like 4

I wish I'd been put into care, I really mean that. Someone has to help these kids and getting them away from destructive evil parents, could change their life - even save their life.