Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

What did we learn in this election?

CommunitarianKevin

He should have made a decision about where he stood on some issues then.

http://www.conservat...ou-would-happen

Romney said he would issue an executive order to end Obamacare on day one, mainly because he wanted to assure no one would have access to quality health care ( logical assumption ).

Edited by Vein Capital

Where would you suggest those who use it, go for help?

Perhaps, maybe, Get a job?

Perhaps, maybe, Get a job?

in the past 10 years we've gone from 1 seeker for 1 job available to 10/12 seekers for every job available.

It took me a year to get a new job after my job was outsourced to India.

What makes you think they are not trying to work? Most welfare is tied to some work.

Ya I went for more than a year without a job, and I was willing to work ANYWHERE doing anything! I even applied to Starbucks as a barista! A position I I was told I was over-qualified for given the fact that I managed 3 different Starbucks stores in the 80s and 90s but not well qualified enough to be an assistant manager today! I eventually took a job at 60% LESS money than I was making before, which is fine since I have always lived well below my means in the anticipation that my salary could potentally go way down. My bf was out of work for almost 2 years, he too was willing to do any work anywhere. His income went down by about 30% when he finally got work. We were both lucky since we both tended to live well below what we could afford.

I really really hate it when people just flap their pie hole and say "get a job" ...

Are you freaking crazy?!?! Right wing nut job!

LOL, That's gotta be sarcasm. (I hope)

• Like 1

I'm not saying it's not hard to find a job sometimes, I've been there done that myself, there have been times when I went months without work, and yes, I was looking, and no, I didn't draw welfare (and sometimes didn't even draw unemployment). That said, what about the many who could find work, are young, healthy, and have everything going for them, but just don't WANT to work? I wish I could find the link to that short video that had an interviewer asking people waiting in line for welfare if they were looking for work, and one guy, young and evidently strong and healthy to all appearances (probably more than one in that spirit) just laughed and said, "no, he was just there for the Obama dollar", or something like that if I remember correctly. Again, I realize that it's not so easy to get a job sometimes...I've gone months myself but I kept on looking and fortunately I did eventually find work.

Edited by Gummug
  • Like 1

I eventually took a job at 60% LESS money than I was making before,

as did I. About 25percent less. But it's working out.

It's ONLY working out for me because I always only lived on about 40% of my income after my ex and I split up (he liked us to live on 140% of our income *grumble*) So now I live paycheck to paycheck more or less, but it's working out because I planned it that way. Would I have liked to have gone back to my big paycheck? Of course! But those jobs were GONE after the bank crisis and housing bubble. And, luckliy I had the foresight to buy a cheapo old house for next to nothing which even today still has a TON of equity. Most people didn't look as forward into the future as I did.

• Like 2

How can you be so financially aware yourself and still be so optimistic about the completely opposite governments ability to make this work?

How can you be so financially aware yourself and still be so optimistic about the completely opposite governments ability to make this work?

Possibly because I haven't been wrong yet... I knew the crash was coming when I bought my home in 2001. I just made damn sure I bought something that would still have a lot of equity even after a massive crash (and my house is a piece of *****, but I'm still sitting on 6 figure equity) and I made damn sure I could afford it all on a mimimum wage job. Im sorry if you were unable to see that.

And I NEVER said I was optimistic about the future or this government. You're projecting.

• Like 1

what i learned from the the recent election is that almost half of america is racist.

So if you don't vote for Obama you are racist? I think it's racist of you to suggest that you should vote for him just because he's black.

So if you don't vote for Obama you are racist? I think it's racist of you to suggest that you should vote for him just because he's black.

no i was making a joke. but i know a lot of people who are racist and i don't know if they voted but if they did i'm sure that color was a deciding factor. but based on what i saw of the debate (which wasn't much) Romney didn't seem like he even knew what he was doing. that's just the way it looked to me. one guys opinion. i don't really agree with Obama any more than anyone else, but he seems to have a plan and it bugs me when people don't finish their plans. by the way, i didn't even vote because i honestly don't care. nothing will ever change anyway until they stop wasting money on the other side of the ocean.

Edited by Xanthurion2

What did we learn during this election?

1.) The biggest point for me is the Tea Party. Republicans, the Tea Party is killing you. Distance yourself from them. I gained a lot of respect for the American people and a bit for the Republican Party as a whole for not electing/re-electing these morons. The worse thing they did was open their mouths. If you are a Tea Partier, please…keep talking in public…

The Tea Party crushed Republican hopes. Republicans thought they would do great in the Senate races but did horrible.

Akin lost horribly to a beatable candidate after his “legitimate rape” comments.

Richard Mourdock was defeated badly after his “all pregnancies are a gift from God” statement.

In Mass, Warren pounded the incumbent Brown after his campaign of personal attacks.

In the House…

Allen West appears to have lost his seat in Florida.

Michele Bachmann nearly lost her seat in the House, winning by less than 4,000 votes or 51% AND this is after making a run for President. (Edit:Putting this on hold for now. It is now 50-50 with Graves leading Bachmann.)

2.) 6 Billion dollars spent on this election and the results were nearly the same as they were 4 years ago…

3.) Saving the auto industry made a difference. Many do not agree with it, but those that were working in it and lived in the areas where the economy was affected would disagree. The auto industry gave Obama Ohio.

4.) Republicans need to take a different approach. This was their last shot. With the economy in the shape it is in, a high unemployment rate, and a soaring national debt, it was their election to win. Times are changing. They need to start catering more to gays, women, and minorities. They need to come back to the center and start working with the Dems.

5.) Fox News is always wrong ;)

But please, please, please, for the sake of America, get along and get things done. Obama is the President for another 4 years and cannot run again. The war is over. Work together and get things done so we can progress into the future.

The Tea Party has rejected the establishment politicians on BOTH sides. They are NOT I repeat NOT a party line entity and never was.

The Tea Party was formed in 2006 in response to Government over spending PERIOD!

I didn't learn anything it's same ol same ol. However I do have sticker shock.

Edited by cerberusxp
  • Like 1

The Tea Party has rejected the establishment politicians on BOTH sides. They are NOT I repeat NOT a party line entity and never was.

The Tea Party is just a re-branding of the Republican base. Indeed, their main achievements are in affecting Republican primary elections because they're a significant component of the Republican primary electorate; the mixed records in general elections (particularly in states or Congressional districts that are not already heavily Republican) of the candidates they shepherd through the Republican nominating process is just a further indication that when you get to an electorate composed of more than just Republicans, the Tea Party influence drops off rapidly.

Edited by Startraveler

The Tea Party is just a re-branding of the Republican base. Indeed, their main achievements are in affecting Republican primary elections because they're a significant component of the Republican primary electorate; the mixed records in general elections (particularly in states or Congressional districts that are not already heavily Republican) of the candidates they shepherd through the Republican nominating process is just a further indication that when you get to an electorate composed of more than just Republicans, the Tea Party influence drops off rapidly.

Alright so why do they also support Democrats? They supported 30 Dems in 2010. Apparently you believe the lies perpetrated by the establishment news networks. Being led by the nose by these propagandists is what's wrong.

Edited by cerberusxp
  • Like 1

Get the facts from the horses mouth not propagandists, Tea party 365 about

"Active in politics on the local and national level, David co-founded TeaParty365 in New York City, a non-partisan, non-profit advocacy group for fiscal responsibility, and is the spokesman for the National Tea Party Federation. In September 2010 David was named to the Newsweek Inside The Tea Party Top 10 and in November 2010 in About.com’s Satellite Radio’s New School of Conservative Talk Stars. In December 2011 David was selected as one of “Time Magazine’s Person of the Year ~ The Protester” representing the tea party movement."

Edited by cerberusxp
  • Like 1

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here. If he tries to compromise at all he will have done more than he attempted to do in his first term and I expect repubs to work with him. If he stonewalls again then we will have gridlock. Divided government can be a good thing at times and I guess this is one of them. As to "working together" - it only works when both sides try at the same time :tu:

• Like 1

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here.

are you just trying to make yourself feel better or lying to yourself?

Obama won by a relatively close margin - no blow outs or mandates here.

I'm somewhat dubious over the whole "Obama's got no mandate" argument. He won the election, there's his mandate.

:)

A mandate would've been an electoral blowout like Reagan did and FDR did with something like 500+ electoral votes. A couple of million popular vote difference between the two candidates is hardly a mandate considering its out of around 110 million votes. The only mandate is that the people decided they don't want anything to change ATM and the glaring statement is that the country is near evenly divided right in half. Some of us just think it sucks that a wee little bit more than half the voters want;

high gas prices

high taxes

high food prices

high costs of living

unlimited federal spending

more government control of their lives

to be forced to buy things

to be penalized if they don't

to be 20 trillion dollars in debt

a free flip phone in some cases

And the other half has to suffer because of that. A mandate really in this context is just semantics but obamas been using that word as if the country just flipped head over heals for him with overwhelming support. All he got was more of the same, actually a little less, and so did we.

Edited by -Mr_Fess-
  • Like 3