Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Tipsy elephants on the rampage

Still Waters

When human beings get tipsy, they either speak gibberish or land up in a brawl. But when elephants get high on liquor, they end up wreaking havoc.

Such was the sight at Dumurkota village where a herd of 50-odd inebriated jumbos ransacked three houses and damaged paddy crops on Sunday. The strong smell of Mahua drink drew the elephants out of the forest and they raided the shop selling the drink. The herd wasn't happy even after guzzling down 18 containers of Mahua and ransacked the adjoining huts in search of more.

http://articles.time...angsabati-river

Thats scary and funny at the same time.

Go home, Elephant. You're drunk.

I'm sorry. I couldn't help it.

Edited by Princess Serenity

They liked it so I bet they come back for more. Better set up a bar.

I love a good drunk elephant story! (Would have been better with pictures of drunk elephants though.)

"Mahua", eh? Where do you get that?

Binge drinking has become a real problem among Indian elephants, particularly the young males. Researchers believe it's tied to low self esteem issues brought about by high unemployment rates. Said researcher Punjib Rampanishad, "These young bulls have too much time on their hands and no sense of worth. When you couple that with the herd mentality, anything can happen."

It's reported that on their way out of town, the elephants knocked over several mailboxes and mooned a busload of school children.

• Like 3

Hahaha. Sort of reminds me of the crowds after winning/losing a game. What I cannot even vaguely imagine is how they 'mooned' the bus load of kids. I did not know they wore pants!

Cyndi Lauper should make a song- Elephants Just Wanna Have Fun

Just when you thought drunk drivers were bad enough.

The Marula tree in South Africa bears a small round fruit, roughly the size of an apple, that ferments whilst still on the tree, this fruit is a favourite of the African Elephant it is also eaten by Baboons, Wildebeest, Warthogs, Meercats and other wildlife all of whom become rather intoxicated and stagger off across the veldt to sleep it off.

Examples of this behaviour can be viewed on You Tube or accessed by entering Marula in a search engine.

I have witnessed it live and found it extremely amusing. I wonder how big a hangover an Elephant has?

Edited by Him over there

Back in the day when they used to use elephants in warfare they used to get them hammered on strong wine before pointing them in the general direction of the enemy. A sound tactic, untill one of them staggered in a circle and started killing his own handlers.

Its not big and it's not clever.

Reminds one of the old joke:

An elephant walks into a bar and says, "I have a vodka and tonic."

The bartender fixes the drink, hands it to the elephant and says, "You know, we don't get many elephants in this bar."

The elephant replies, "At these prices I shouldn't wonder."