Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The slenderman myth

Tarnibritan

I think we can conclude that it was made up. Now, it seems real enough to harm people. So why is it so hard to get rid of?

Slenderman is difficult to get rid of because people WANT to believe in crap like this. As long as there is will for believing in lies like this, there will be plenty of people lacking the critical thinking skills to prevent the spread of the dis and misinformation. Slenderman has never harmed anyone. Find one single medically documented case of a bonafide slenderman-caused injury. Nobody can because there aren't any such things.

Slenderman isn't "real enough" to do anything except spook and entertain those people who insist on believing in it despite the documented proof that it is fiction. So guess in a sense if harm it is being done it is that collectively we are all dumber because of the refusal of a few to engage in reality instead of supplanting it with fantasy.

• Like 1

I think we can conclude that it was made up. Now, it seems real enough to harm people. So why is it so hard to get rid of?

Why do you think that people have sustained real harm? Has there been documented evidence of physical or psychological harm that has been shown to be the result of Slenderman?

Or just people telling stories on the Internet about some mythical boogieman that has been shown to have its origins as an Internet forum hoax about 4 years ago?

It sounds like you actually think (or want to believe) that there is something to the Slenderman stories. You yourself said he was known in medieval Europe and perhaps ancient Egypt. Did you fall for the hoaxes I showed above or do you have other evidence?

Yeah, what are the odds of at least one tall slender man dressed in black wandering around rural areas of Germany??? .... Pretty good I'd guess.

Harm people? Since when has anyone been harmed by Slenderman?

I think the strong belief is just people believing too easily and not doing their research. A good example that something doesn't have to real to have many people believe in it.

The very first mention of slenderman suggests he steals children and kills witnesses.

HEY! Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are real. AND! I'll not listen to more of your lies!!!!!

:angry:

Here's a thought, if Slender Man is a form taken by demons to haunt people, then maybe Santa Claus, the Easter Bunny and the Tooth Fairy are "real" and are forms taken by angels to reward good children, hand out chocolate eggs as Easter and compensate children for losing their teeth.

Because that actually makes about as much sense. Reading back through this thread, there seems to be a lot of "fact" being touted about Slender Man - it's impossible to photograph or video him because of electromagnetic interference, someone killed a Slender Man demon, his history actually goes back to middle ages Europe and beyond even to ancient Egypt, he doesn't really look like he does in the Internet descriptions, etc. And none of the "facts" are backed up by anything resembling actual facts. Just assertions or references to proven hoaxes.

Actually, I never heard of the Slender man until this thread. Guess I've lived a sheltered life, huh?

I first heard about it on another thread on this forum. As with "shadow man" and "hat man" and others.

It didn't take much use of the Google to verify that is indeed just an Internet legend. But once it's taken legs and has true believers, no amount of factual evidence seems to be able to demonstrate that it is an obvious hoax.

If you check Google Trends, you fill find that pre mid-2009, there was no Google searches for "slender man", but then sometime in the second half of 2009, just after the Something Awful paranormal photoshop thread that kicked it off, the term became gradually more popular. And then in mid-2012, when the Slender freeware game was released (play it, it's short and simplistic but effectively scary and fun) the term rocketed in popularity. To those who take it seriously and think he is some sort of ancient demon known since ancient times, consider the fact that a Photoshop hoax and a video game based upon the urban myth created by the Photoshop hoax, are what are the reasons for his popularity and that the whole subject is surrounded by an echo chamber of hoaxed backstories, hoaxed images, fake history, etc. that has turned it into "fact" on paranormal websites.

And now it has gotten to the stage that we have someone on this forum claiming to know someone who killed a Slender Man demon. The mind boggles...

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

That makes sense really, no one ever heard about the so called Moth man until after the movie came out. And we have a poster here who lived near where the bridge fell that was supposed to have prompted the appearance and she said no one made any mention of it for years afterward......then came the movie and suddenly everyone was recounting their true and semi-religious experiences with this....whatever it's supposed to be.

Edit to add: Sort of sounds a lot like the Roswell thing really. No one ever talked about it or anything until the seventies........claiming they were afraid to talk because of the government. Then you couldn't shut them up from talking about it. Strangely, no men in black of people disappearing.

I guess they didn't care any more, huh?

Edited by keninsc

Hmm... maybe there is something to this Slender Man myth.

operatorsymbol.jpg

Slender Man "operator symbol" claimed to have been photographed in an abandoned house in Ireland that was previously home to a wealthy Anglo-Irish family that abandoned the estate for reasons unknown sometime back in the 1960s. Source for said photo is unknown and is claimed to have been taken in the mid-1980s and to have been recovered via local photo and video archives by a reporter looking into an entirely unrelated matter.

slendermangraffitiinfra.jpg

What is claimed to be the only recovered frame from a recovered video camera found by forensic investigators at a site (Louth Hall, Co. Louth, Ireland) claimed to be a significant source of local paranormal legends involving a slim tall boogie man type figure superficially similar to Slender Man, portrayed as a graffiti inside a room within the supposedly haunted Louth Hall. The source of this image is claimed to be a local paranormal group doing an "investigation" sometime in the mid 1990s. This image is claimed (but I don't believe it) to be the only recovered frame from video tape supposedly found recently.

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

The slenderman myth is fake. Apparently, the story of slenderman has been changed up so much to the point where there is not a consistent story of what slenderman is or what he does with his victims. There's a picture of "slenderman" from 1990 online, but people are saying that this myth started back in 2009. Regardless, of when it started it's not real. People have a better chance of believing in Chucky or Jason, atleast those stories are consistent from movie to movie.

That's just my opinion of this slenderman myth.

Yep, at time we do have threads that seem to go on longer than they need to but such is life at UM.

No way should this topic be closed! We are witnessing something awesome happening here…

An image from the mind of one person which grew to become a MEME (an idea/behaviour that spreads from one person to another within a culture) is now becoming LEGEND (a narrative of human actions that are perceived both by teller and listeners to take place within human history regardless of whether it is actually fictional or non-fictional).

We are witnessing how people’s experience of the “unknown” is culturally determined, how there is often no difference between belief and make-belief, and how a legend’s history can be created after the fact.

In many ways Slenderman has outgrown its actual origins and has literally taken on a life of its own and anyone is able to contribute to, and even alter, its fledgling LORE (accumulated facts, traditions, or beliefs about a particular subject). Slenderman is at the cutting edge of liminal human experience!

The evolution of Slenderman should be of immense importance to those of us with an interest in Bigfoot, ghosts, aliens, etc. Here we are in a privileged position to witness how such legends are born, grow, altered, and experienced virtually right before our very eyes (hooray for the internet!)

Essentially we are witnessing how it is possible to create via pure imagination what others will then perceive and experience as real.

How cool is that?!?

• Like 4

Hmm... maybe there is something to this Slender Man myth.

operatorsymbol.jpg

Slender Man "operator symbol" claimed to have been photographed in an abandoned house in Ireland that was previously home to a wealthy Anglo-Irish family that abandoned the estate for reasons unknown sometime back in the 1960s. Source for said photo is unknown and is claimed to have been taken in the mid-1980s and to have been recovered via local photo and video archives by a reporter looking into an entirely unrelated matter.

slendermangraffitiinfra.jpg

What is claimed to be the only recovered frame from a recovered video camera found by forensic investigators at a site (Louth Hall, Co. Louth, Ireland) claimed to be a significant source of local paranormal legends involving a slim tall boogie man type figure superficially similar to Slender Man, portrayed as a graffiti inside a room within the supposedly haunted Louth Hall. The source of this image is claimed to be a local paranormal group doing an "investigation" sometime in the mid 1990s. This image is claimed (but I don't believe it) to be the only recovered frame from video tape supposedly found recently.

That's interesting!

Night Walker: I agree. Keep the thread open. :D

Here is a thought: Because of the tupila effect, it is possible that every detail, every story, and everything we say about this "not true" entity, we are the cause of the problem. Therefore, we ourselves are causing more pain, suffering, people dying, expecally innocent children. So, soon our little brothers, our nieces, our children and those around us will soon be dead. All because we contributed to the tuplia effect.

If you're going to reference it, spell it right. Please!

It's not trupila, tupila, tupla or tuplia

It's TULPA!

You have spelt it every single way on this thread apart from the correct way. Get it right, please! I'm not even an advocate of the concept and I know how to spell it.

How the is it possible for someone to be so familiar with a concept yet spell it incorrectly on every single occasion that use it!

Edited by Archimedes
  • Like 1

Found this....

:w00t:

Trender Man

Trender Man is described as the sassy brother (sometimes referred to as a cousin) of Slender Man with a crave for fashion and clothing, wearing brown fashionable attires with a white shirt underneath. The photograph, representing a shop mannequin with no visible face, was taken by Tumblr user Conjured Charisma, was posted on his blog on July 31th 2012 and was entitled Slenderman’s casual Friday.

36f.jpg

Here is a thought: Because of the tupila effect, it is possible that every detail, every story, and everything we say about this "not true" entity, we are the cause of the problem. Therefore, we ourselves are causing more pain, suffering, people dying, expecally innocent children. So, soon our little brothers, our nieces, our children and those around us will soon be dead. All because we contributed to the tuplia effect.

In which case you can help stop killing our little brothers and nieces and children by not talking about it.

So why are you still talking about it?

In which case you can help stop killing our little brothers and nieces and children by not talking about it.

So why are you still talking about it?

It was necessary writing that one post so that we would all stop talking about it I guess... :tsu:

If you're going to reference it, spell it right. Please!

It's not trupila, tupila, tupla or tuplia

It's TULPA!

You have spelt it every single way on this thread apart from the correct way. Get it right, please! I'm not even an advocate of the concept and I know how to spell it.

How the is it possible for someone to be so familiar with a concept yet spell it incorrectly on every single occasion that use it!

SPELLING NAZI!!!!!!!!

:w00t:

As at March 5, 2013

Slenderman death toll: 0

Slenderman injury toll: 0

The supposed video evidence is Blair Witch Project stuff. Highly creative and low cost. Awesome!

Every culture (including our own) has multiple bogey-figures. Slenderman is the latest. Bogeys are not real but the fear of them is and that is their importance. Our fears manifest themselves via the human experience - imagination interacting with environment whilst spreading socially.

To understand the significance of Slenderman we should try to understand its similarities and differences to other cultural bogey-figures. By doing so perhaps we can influence the fledgling Slenderman lore or, better yet, create our own bogey for others to experience as "real". T'would be an interesting social experiment, would it not? Who's in?

And if you are concerned about the ethics or morality of doing so then just keep an eye on updates of the Slenderman Death/Injury Toll...

This Slender Man dude gets around:

tumblr_mj5zb2q7iY1s7xv54o1_1280.jpg

Edited by Archimedes

As at March 5, 2013

Slenderman death toll: 0

Slenderman injury toll: 0

The supposed video evidence is Blair Witch Project stuff. Highly creative and low cost. Awesome!

Every culture (including our own) has multiple bogey-figures. Slenderman is the latest. Bogeys are not real but the fear of them is and that is their importance. Our fears manifest themselves via the human experience - imagination interacting with environment whilst spreading socially.

To understand the significance of Slenderman we should try to understand its similarities and differences to other cultural bogey-figures. By doing so perhaps we can influence the fledgling Slenderman lore or, better yet, create our own bogey for others to experience as "real". T'would be an interesting social experiment, would it not? Who's in?

And if you are concerned about the ethics or morality of doing so then just keep an eye on updates of the Slenderman Death/Injury Toll...

Im down for that, where do we start?