Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The slenderman myth

Tarnibritan

as for you i know he's real quit saying he's not that goes for all of you i bet if you were me you would be super p***ed if people kept on trying to disprove

alright you guys are now just trying to disprove my case any way possible , when i say i run and dont look back i try to look for one of my freinds and we look for a crowded place or i run home lock my house door then lock my room door and turn on a low source of light praying he wont come after me again that night. i dont hallicanite. i can see with perfect vision on my right eye but have poor vision on my left eye they have NEVER made me hallucanate alright?

A few years ago, on the Something Awful forums, they held a paranormal PHOTOSHOP contest. I've been on the original thread, I watched it happen. Victor Surge photoshopped a tall man in a suit into the background of old photos, and the point of this contest was to post your shops on paranormal websites and try to trick everyone that they were real. He named him 'Slenderman' and gave a little story about him stalking children. Everyone really liked it, and a trend started. Other people in the thread made their own and some added tendrils, ect. and soon there was lots of photoshops of him.

He became a MEME and people wrote creepypasta starring him, giving him more backstory. Then Marble Hornets decided to use him in their horror series and BOOM! Cultural phenomena was born. A game was made with him, people cosplay him in conventions. He is a product of the INTERNET.

I understand you are a troll, I'm not dumb. But I'm worried people who didn't see the phenomena unfold will think that this is some true thing. WHEN YOU CAN WATCH SLENDERMANS ORIGINS BY FINDING THE SA FORUM.

He is a fun urban legend that the internet created for itself, please don't make this a 'omg i think i saw slenderman yesterday!' sort of business.

Yeah and thanks to him a demon latched onto that and a monster was created. In some sorts he isnt real, but the demonic part is VERY real. Slenderman actually does have a face, but I have not seen the body. I do suspect it is barklike, thin and long. So can this agruement end?

• Like 1

A few years ago, on the Something Awful forums, they held a paranormal PHOTOSHOP contest. I've been on the original thread, I watched it happen. Victor Surge photoshopped a tall man in a suit into the background of old photos, and the point of this contest was to post your shops on paranormal websites and try to trick everyone that they were real. He named him 'Slenderman' and gave a little story about him stalking children. Everyone really liked it, and a trend started. Other people in the thread made their own and some added tendrils, ect. and soon there was lots of photoshops of him.

He became a MEME and people wrote creepypasta starring him, giving him more backstory. Then Marble Hornets decided to use him in their horror series and BOOM! Cultural phenomena was born. A game was made with him, people cosplay him in conventions. He is a product of the INTERNET.

I understand you are a troll, I'm not dumb. But I'm worried people who didn't see the phenomena unfold will think that this is some true thing. WHEN YOU CAN WATCH SLENDERMANS ORIGINS BY FINDING THE SA FORUM.

He is a fun urban legend that the internet created for itself, please don't make this a 'omg i think i saw slenderman yesterday!' sort of business.

(Applause)

Great post :)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, it is an internet creation that many think may have been created as being real from the collective subconcious of those who originally created it and has grown stronger as others "believe" in it and has actually began to warrant serious study on how possibly many myths and legends are born. I'm not going to get into the whole is it real deal, because it is not. It has been proven to be an internet creation... that has actually grown in the telling and has some of the ... hmm, how to word this... thos emost susceptable to believe anything along these lines to believe it is real, though it's actual fictional creation has been documented.

What does this mean? Some people will believe the "truth" about anything, even when it's actual creation point as a work of fiction has been proven and well documented... even worse, they will attempt to prove it is real in various ways. First by trying to see if it correlates with possible older myths and beliefs, then when that fails... by stating the subconscious of those involved actually brought it to life... which has evolve dto the point their are groups trying to theorise how to deal with it and fight it, even though it's mythos has no basis in current reality. Menaing, supposedly, the slenderman first would be seen haunting places children gathered and they'd suddenly start disappeareing... as seen in "photographic" evidence (photoshopped pictures to match the original storyline) .. it then grew into stalking others and hunting down and killing or making disappear those who had seen it... now it's to the point it is supposedly too powerful to kill and groups formed online to face it and fight it have suffered casualties and only actually wounded it once at the cost of two party members. Note the parties were based aroudn rpg parties and such, making one believe it may be one huge blog and internet rpg with those who come up with good enough ideas and such being involved in the main story and being wounded and/or killed off..substantiated by the fact their blogs and such usually stop being updated and such and a number of growing theories of how to fight and defeat him.

Now, note every "victory" against him ha sbeen short lived with a disastrous confrontation afterwards.... and now even the entire cryptid and mysterious world is actually taking it serious in part, which is probably making the creators of the entire story laugh their butts off. It is not hoax, just started with a group of people online making up a new horror and it going from there... so any fall out on the cryptid and etc. community who believe it is real... will be well deserved. I haven't listed any sites or etc. about this..why? Google it and look into it back to the original creation and start from there.. it is a truly epic piece of work and deserves an award, acknowledgement, and study for what it has done.. and it is drawing some serious study to see how legends and such are born and may come to be believed as being real.

Finally, sorry if this had rehashed anything anyone posted, but I've kind of kept up with this from the beginning because it is an actual awesome thing to keep an eye on.. some of the work involved is on par with alot of the fiction online, but a huge part is actually top notch and very enetertaining the way those involve dtry to weave everything together as a whole from very different and varying sources.

• Like 2

So what you are saying is.....you are so addicted to video gaming that you can no longer distinguish between reality and being in-game. Wow. What's that like?

i have a family member that does this with a certain game...he is now a very confused and sick individual its not good and his kids suffer due to it...i have seen him flip out a few times and speak as if surrounded by people from the game...normally a very sane man but on one of his turns he believes things are going to kill him and he hits out...very strange to think any game can do this to a semingly sane person x

as for slenderman i have seen the posts and photoshopped stuff and find it interesting but clearly a made up person x

Edited by Feebs

I've kind of kept up with this from the beginning because it is an actual awesome thing to keep an eye on.. some of the work involved is on par with alot of the fiction online, but a huge part is actually top notch and very enetertaining the way those involve dtry to weave everything together as a whole from very different and varying sources.

Love your post and your enthusiasm on the subject and it has made me want to know more. If you have been following the story and how it is developing then would you be able to re-create that for us by posting the original links that allows us to follow it from the beginning as well? Perhaps even provide some commentary?

This is a great opportunity to observe how a myth is born, grows, and then even becomes "real" - gaining a life of its own well beyond the creators original spark; a great case study into the power and importance of our individual and collective imaginations.

And, if anyone is feeling somewhat mischevious, it would be interesting to see if we (as a UM collective) could even influence the Slender Man lore. To, in some way, affect how people experience the Slender Man...

Yeah and thanks to him a demon latched onto that and a monster was created. In some sorts he isnt real, but the demonic part is VERY real. Slenderman actually does have a face, but I have not seen the body. I do suspect it is barklike, thin and long. So can this agruement end?

More ignorant garbage to feed the slenderman myth. Slenderman is completely fictional. Edited by Rlyeh
  • Like 1

Theres even erotic fiction about Slenderman.

Theres even erotic fiction about Slenderman.

We need to create a Slenderwoman here in this thread. I mean, no wonder Slenderman is so damn grouchy. Hims ronery *awwwww*

More ignorant garbage to feed the slenderman myth. Slenderman is completely fictional.

I have a friend that managed (as crazy as it sounds)to kill one and would disagree with you. My paranormal group is looking into him. All the information you have found is not true. He doesnt even (well similar) look like what people say he looks like. Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law. The "slenderman" is actually an old-time type of demon. What makes him unusual is his skill at having people believe in an image and that belief is his trap for his victims.

Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law.

A tulpa is a thoughtform, or being created from the collective thoughts of separate individuals. Tulpas are theoretical in nature, although some semi-scientific research and studies were conducted in the area between 1960-1980. The Tulpa Effect is the name given to the unintentional creation of a tulpa based on collective belief of a being with similar traits.

In relation to Slender Man, the idea of intentional creation of Slender Man as a tulpa came as early as August of 2009, as the idea was first thrown around in the Something Awful forums. The idea is still carried today by some Slenderman-based communities, specifically Slender Nation, although the separate evolutions of the Slender Man creature has created varying beliefs, traits, descriptions, and actions, and no longer includes a single unified description of Slender Man from which a tulpa could be created.

Some have worries over the unintentional creation of a Slender woman tulpa due to the popularity of the mythos in present day. Core Theory centers around the idea that the Slender Man was created as a tulpa in such a way in the various ARGs, and acts as an in-game reasoning as to its existence. Others believe that the Tulpa Effect may have serious real-life repercussions with the creation of a real Slender Man.

http://theslenderman...he_Tulpa_Effect

If you believe in demons, which many here do I think (they are mentioned in the Bible), I think the demons will latch on to anything that will scare people, much like the creepy villain in "Dreamscape" (the movie).

I have a friend that managed (as crazy as it sounds)to kill one and would disagree with you. My paranormal group is looking into him. All the information you have found is not true. He doesnt even (well similar) look like what people say he looks like. Has anyone heard of the trupila effect? My paranormal group is deeming it as a paranormal law. The "slenderman" is actually an old-time type of demon. What makes him unusual is his skill at having people believe in an image and that belief is his trap for his victims.

Where do you guys come up with this crap? Slenderman is the most striking example that gullibility is just freaking RAMPANT in the believer community. Slenderman has been documented as a fake. And seriously - Tulpas? Another unsubstantiated load of horseS hit, concocted by the fringe community to explain ridiculous things.

If your friend says he killed Slenderman he is either bull$hitting you, insane, or as incredibly gullible as the rest of the people who actually think Slenderman is real.

• Like 2

Slender was actually created on the "somethingawful" forum (http://forums.someth...hreadid=3150591) .

As for him being created via tulpa i think it may be possible but unlikely.

Reminds me of the story of Phillip experiment. http://www.time-loop...ment_Philip.htm

No, you have a baseless claim or quite a few of them.

Your "paranormal" group are as credible as a bunch of meth addicts.

• Like 1

I read even on this forum about people actually seeing something you could possibly categorise as a slender man. A tall shadow man, mostly wearing a fedora or cowboy hat. From the corner of their eyes or during sleep paralysis/dreams. I could label experiences like these as the birthplace of the slender man, unless they were simply made up stories used to spread the myth around. Interesting nonetheless.

Tulpas are being studied as a reason why people may be seeing strange things. It is not an excuse to prove ridiculous claims but to prove that these things can be created by the mind and thus brought into existence.

An excerpt from "The Mothman Prophecies" on why this may be a reason for people seeing most of what they see:

(pg. 5-6) "There is an old house on a tree-lined stret in New York's Greenwich Village which harbors a strange ghost. Hans Holzer and other ghost-chasers have included the house in their catalogs of haunted places. The phantom has been seen by several people in recent years. It is dressed in a long black cape and wears a wide-brimmed slouch hat pulled down over its eyes as it slinks from room to room. Self-styled parapsychologists have woven all kinds of fantasies around this apparition. Obviously a spy from the revolutionary war was caught and killed in the old house.

But wait. This ghost may not be a member of the restless dead at all. There were never any reports of hauntings there until about twenty years ago, after the house was vacated by a writer named Walter Gibson. He was, and is, an extraordinarily prolific author. For many years he churned out a full-length novel each month, and many of those novels were written in the house in Greenwich Village. All of them were centered around the spectacularly successful character Gibson created in the 1930s, that nemesis of evil known as The Shadow. If you have read any of The Shadow novels you know that he was fond of lurking in dark alleys dressed in a cape and broad-brimmed slouch hat." (The Mothman Prophecies; John Keel)

Again, I do not believe in slenderman and recognize it as purely a myth, but tulpas may be a reason why people see most of what they do.

• Like 3

What ever happened to Tall Man I remember hearing somethings about him, but I guess he died out

What ever happened to Tall Man I remember hearing somethings about him, but I guess he died out

Elaborate a bit perhaps? I think I know what you're talking about. Not 100% sure

failed post

Edited by Cataclysmic faith

come on ive seen him 13 times since 2009 beliveing is not seeing i didnt know about him back then and i still saw him its not my imagination and no one in my used the internet so i prove all of you wrong dont just knock off stories of people who actually might need help like me. my story is real.

so now the Slender Phobia is officially achieved.

now what i don't understand is why people think about it so much and why they think they see them, all the youtube vids about slenderman are fake since slender can't walk and i bet my most hated friend for it that slender is fake, why? people always think that there is some supernatural force that it evil and want to kill people, that has been ongoing for decades, now the somethingawful forums have created there own image of their supernatural evil force: slenderman, it is just made up and if you think that that thing is real prove it since the only thing you think to lose is your life, i would say that you are just indoctrinated, you think so much about slendy and philosophize so much about him that your own imagination has made him real to your self, if slender was here then every single one of us in this topic was dead because we talk about him. buddy get real and look it in the eyes and tell us what you saw the other day

I thought that killing a demon was impossible, as they are spirit energy in nature.

If you actually killed something and examined it, surely there are photos??

• Like 1