Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Do you have a TRUE sense of security?

Voyager

I'm not going to elaborate much on this question as not to be long-winded. But I was raised in the Christian church (Pentecostal denomination to be exact), grew up around preachers and preachers' kids. I have probably heard 1,000s of sermons and messages, and read countless articles regarding religious and spiritual ideas.

I don't claim Christianity right now, because I don't believe that I live the life that a true Christian should live, and one of my biggest fears is being seen as a hypocrite. Yet, I cannot bring myself to distancing myself from my Christian upbringing simply because of the fear of ending up in HELL.

Many people will say that this is because of "conditioning" or that my faith is fear-based. My question to this notion is: Is that really a bad thing? What if fear is good when it relates to your eternal destiny? I know that fear in general isn't bad because it was given to us as a signal for danger. What if Hell is real? I know that many people here probably don't believe in it because this board is more geared toward a Universal perspective. But Jesus Christ is quoted in scripture as saying that "broad is the road that leads to destruction (Hell) and many will find it, but narrow is the gate that leads to eternal life (Heaven) but few will enter in." So, what if we actually are complimenting Christians by calling them "narrow minded"? What if being narrow minded is actually a good thing? And what if our unwavering faith that is built upon the "all roads lead to Heaven" and "find and live in your own truth" philosophy is really a false sense of security?

Just a thought. I'm open to any and all responses.

• Like 1

I would be lonely in heaven, cause all my friends are going to hell. :devil: Hell is something that was made up to control the masses.

• Like 4

it's understandable to fear hell in you believe in it.

But I believe that Hell is only for those who side againsr God in the Final Battle, the "flaming pit" of Revelation is only for those who declare themealeves enemies of Heaven, but I do believe that we all go though Purgtory, a la Dantes' Inferno where we pay fo our mortal sins.

I was raised with no religion but I fear hell, always have since I heard of such a place. Eternal suffering would suck , but so does religion.

I once had a vivid dream of a literal Hell. I still couldn't figure out why this presented itself, for I have never believed in a fiery, full of torment and despair afterlife existence. Nowadays, I keep an open mind. In that dream, I saw wailing souls in a fiery pit dreading the approach of a giant flattened-stone to crush them (like an ironing board)...and to eventually melt them. That was a scary dream, enough for me to remember it to this day as if it happened last night.

Just sharing.

I'm not going to elaborate much on this question as not to be long-winded. But I was raised in the Christian church (Pentecostal denomination to be exact), grew up around preachers and preachers' kids. I have probably heard 1,000s of sermons and messages, and read countless articles regarding religious and spiritual ideas.

I don't claim Christianity right now, because I don't believe that I live the life that a true Christian should live, and one of my biggest fears is being seen as a hypocrite. Yet, I cannot bring myself to distancing myself from my Christian upbringing simply because of the fear of ending up in HELL.

Many people will say that this is because of "conditioning" or that my faith is fear-based. My question to this notion is: Is that really a bad thing? What if fear is good when it relates to your eternal destiny? I know that fear in general isn't bad because it was given to us as a signal for danger. What if Hell is real? I know that many people here probably don't believe in it because this board is more geared toward a Universal perspective. But Jesus Christ is quoted in scripture as saying that "broad is the road that leads to destruction (Hell) and many will find it, but narrow is the gate that leads to eternal life (Heaven) but few will enter in." So, what if we actually are complimenting Christians by calling them "narrow minded"? What if being narrow minded is actually a good thing? And what if our unwavering faith that is built upon the "all roads lead to Heaven" and "find and live in your own truth" philosophy is really a false sense of security?

Just a thought. I'm open to any and all responses.

Studie it, and find the roots of HELL, it was invented by the catholics to have a negative outcome if you do not follow there Idea.

I beleive the bible is somewhat based of truth, however has been passed down and tampered with for control purposes.

in answer to the thread topic.....

yes.....

being raised in north america...

a continent that was settled by people that had the option to rot in jail....

or try and start a new life in a new land....

we cant get away from the Christian teachings...

i have looked, and the harder i look....

the more i see how those teachings have been passed down generation to generation....

colouring our views and interpretations of anything...

the school system goes through a reform every now and again...

but the fundamental ideas and how they are presented are still the same...

they began with bible studies in the belief that the word of god was the most important word to know...

and that the teaching from said book were all the knowledge that a person would need.....

along with reading and remedial math skills...

and that layed out how the school system was begun in these here parts....

so don’t worry about the conflict you feel...

i wouldn’t...

the more i have read in a variety of different scriptures and writings...

the more the concept of hell starts to crumble....

as well as the concept of the devil....

i agree that both concepts are a means to control...

but when you look at history in these parts...

they needed to use fear to get the people settling here to stop doing the things that they got sent to prison for...

so fear it was....

and heaped on in copious amounts....

but that’s just my $0.02 ....

Fear like that isn't a good thing especially with some of the horrid ideals that the Catholic church holds. If your going to look back at the bible for this look at all of the false prophets and teachers and what they say about them.

What are some of of the most influential religions in the world? Couldn't those religions be seen as a broad road as so many people followed them(some almost even blindly)?

Hell is nothing more then a concept used to keep people in line and not questioning what is being taught to them as children. If their teachings and ideals were right they wouldn't need to use fear as a motivator. If their message was right and truthful, people would flock to it instead of running away.

You need to remember that this book has been edited and translated for what nearly 2000 years? The words in the book have been changed to suit religion's need. Yet people rarely question it out of fear.

I find it funny that having an open mind and wanting people to able to live their own life without fear, is such a rare thing from people these days...... almost seems like a narrow gate if you ask me.

Edited by Jinxdom
  • Like 2

My opinion - after much reasoning when I left the chuch, I now don't believe hell exists. Fear is a good way to control people and make them do as they are told. It's a great way to keep people going to church. I don't believe the bible is the true word of God, so any references it makes to hell are just man made stories. We all like a scary story....and that's all it is to me now.

• Like 1

I'm not Christian or associated with any religion or faith and I'm not scared of death one bit. I'm more scared of those in positions that are supposed to do good but are really the greatest evil. And they use this fear in order for you to do their biddings and sacrifice more of your freedom and in turn, increase their control over you.

On the most basic level they say believe and you will go to heaven, do not believe and you will go to hell. Does fear not play a big part in that and a core manipulator?

I will outline this clearly, believing simply out of fear, is not true belief. Nor is being overwhelmingly obsessed or as a result of mental ailments a true belief. So you will meet the same fate as everyone going to hell regardless according to the rules, so why not just have no fear. Or is it suggested as long as you bow to the will of God enough regardless of belief or not? If such a God exists, that is the one of the bible, the bible I believe, does not contain the words of God whatsoever.

If God is anyone, it is us. We say what is right, what is wrong. We dictate morals and ethics. We outline what makes a good person, a bad person. Good and evil. We create our own heaven, and our own hell. The true God has not told us any of this, and if he exists, I believe would expect us to work it out ourselves. As we are and have been.