Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Bees make mint honey after eating fondant

Still Waters

Apiarist Paul Snowden was amazed when his bees started to make mint-flavoured honey.

It emerged the bees - starved of their usual supply of nectar because of the poor British summer - had sought alternative sustenance and had flown half-a-mile to a plant which recycles confectionary waste into animal feed.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/foodanddrink/foodanddrinknews/9666608/Bees-make-After-Eight-honey-after-eating-mint-fondant.html

• Like 1

Gourmet honey. Wonder if it will bring a higher price.

• Like 1

Hehe...that is kind of cool! Maybe he should leave out some sugar for them when its a naft summer (which I am assuming means dry or at least flowerless) . He could even flavor it in cool ways and make some really interesting honey.

Licorice honey, marshmallow honey, cherry honey, ooh - peach flavored! I'd totally try that one!

A metallic aftertaste. Makes ya wonder what else is in it.

Interesting story since I like honey and its a great nutrient. I don't know why but when I read the comment yuck yucky it just crossed my mind, isn't honey from a worker bee a form of glorious bee poop? Kind of like an egg is a hen's way of menustration? Yucky Yuck made a lot of weird things cross my thoughts about what we eat! LOL

I like honey but I'm not sure about mint flavoured. It doesn't sound too appetising somehow :unsure2:

Interesting story since I like honey and its a great nutrient. I don't know why but when I read the comment yuck yucky it just crossed my mind, isn't honey from a worker bee a form of glorious bee poop? Kind of like an egg is a hen's way of menustration? Yucky Yuck made a lot of weird things cross my thoughts about what we eat! LOL

Yeah, probably best to not think about it too much... Lol But it also makes one wonder who was the very first person to try whatever gross thing and how did that person convince the second person to try it?

Second person - ... You say you saw it drop out of where???

First person - I know, I know..... But crack a couple of those and scramble the slimy stuff over some heat and wow! And its even better with that spoiled, solidified milk melted into it!!

Yum! Now I'm hungry!

Bees are fascinating creatures. They are just doing their job, gathering sugar sweet stuff for making honey. Perhaps we should plant extra flowers for them?

• Like 1

Lol, honey is not bee poop or other, um, nether regions discharge... It's dried vomit.

Bees have a special stomach they collect nectar into. These field bees are then greeted by hive bees and the field bees vomit up the nectar to the hive bees. The hive bees start digesting and adding enzymes before vomiting it up into the hives cell walls. The vomit is then fanned by bees to dry out, resulting in honey.

Lol, honey is not bee poop or other, um, nether regions discharge... It's dried vomit.

Bees have a special stomach they collect nectar into. These field bees are then greeted by hive bees and the field bees vomit up the nectar to the hive bees. The hive bees start digesting and adding enzymes before vomiting it up into the hives cell walls. The vomit is then fanned by bees to dry out, resulting in honey.

Thanks for the reply I'm not too much into bees biology and was hoping someone would comment with more info :) I knew it was a form of glorified bee excrement of somekind...vomit still makes me think yucky when you think of what you like to eat LOL But mother parrots do the same kind of thing to feed their chicks but at least it comes out of the mouth instead of the nether regions!

Edited by White Unicorn

doesn't surprise me at all.It's true,Mother nature will find a way and adapt to whatever works.Here in the U,S, I have taken to leaving Dr Peper in cans around the ranch to attract bees to my plants and flowers,I grw very nice tomatos and hot pepers this yearmand the bees were quite thankfull and I will place even more next year for the little guys,without them we as humans will starve.