Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Orbs in photos

camochick

Hi, I am no stranger to the paranormal but I have never captured an image of anything until this week. I was taking pictures for a client and there was a blue orb that started on the left side of the screen and in within a couple of more shots it was on the right side at a different height. I took a few other pictures and they came out as if I was using one of the cameras that first was invented. The camera I was using was in perfect condition, has never done this before, and was charged. Is there any possibility that I may have captured a spirit from the location on screen?

If you need to see the photos I can post them.

Is there any possibility that I may have captured a spirit from the location on screen?

If you need to see the photos I can post them.

Without seeing the photo, there is no way to tell

It would be good if You posted the photo/s

Could of got something there. Would be nice to see them.

The site says my pictures are too big to upload :td:

Can't you optimise them? Failing that host them somewhere like PhotoBucket or the like, unless you have your own webspace.

Either way what are referred to as 'orbs' are caused by airborne particles very close to the lens. If these are illumnated by the flash, they are projected on the image wildly out of focus, causing them to appear as opaque circles. Try shielding the lens area from the flash or use a remote flash, then you'll be orb-free.

Yeah, it's me, Defender of the Orbs. I need to get myself a sword or crown or something, or at least some fancy shoes. I've seen orbs with my eyes, I know lots of people who have. It's possible that many orbs in photos are camera artifacts, but it's also possible they really are orbs. I'd like to see the photos myself. FYI, theorbwhisperer.com has a lot of photos & video of orbs.

Edited by Beany
  • Like 1

It's possible that many orbs in photos are camera artifacts, but it's also possible they really are orbs.

It's not merely possible that "many orbs" are camera artifacts. It's pretty much undeniably true.

It's a fact, regardless of whether or not there are "genuine" orbs, that many orbs are camera artifacts caused by out of focus particles being illuminated by the camera flash.

• Like 1

Yeah, it's me, Defender of the Orbs. I need to get myself a sword or crown or something, or at least some fancy shoes. I've seen orbs with my eyes, I know lots of people who have. It's possible that many orbs in photos are camera artifacts, but it's also possible they really are orbs. I'd like to see the photos myself. FYI, theorbwhisperer.com has a lot of photos & video of orbs.

I doesn't matter how many times you state this, you offer no proof other than expecting others to accept/believe your claim(s). Over the last 30+ years I have sporadically seen what I have perceived to be small self-illuminated balls of light (BOLs - deliberately avoiding referring to orbs), this included while conducting night photography research during which I have been capturing the mundane particulates orbs illuminated by the camera. Not once have I been able to capture one of these apparently self-illuminated BOLs on camera - either film or digital media. As a researcher that must raise significant concern, the lack of corroborating evidence of an apparently clearly evident BOL by recording means suggest that they are probably an artefact (or indeed some defect), in either the eye or the optic nerve.

Maybe you should see an ophthalmologists, you could be sufferening from one of these http://www.geteyesmart.org/eyesmart/diseases/index.cfm

• 3 weeks later...

Just for reference sake an orb is a ball of energy or light. That being said if you didn't see it with your own eyes. You didn't see an orb.

End of story.

• 3 weeks later...

Rage, ccd chips in digital cameras can pick up light spectrums that we can't see. That's why there is a filter on the lenses of the cameras. How much they filter out depends on what type of filter is used.

I have seen BOLs with the naked eye. They look nothing like "orbs". I have caught many orbs by camera, all easily explainable as dust, bugs, camera artifacts, etc. I would love to catch a BOL on camera but the appearance of them is so rare I fear I never will.

I find the best rule of thumb is just to accept that all "orbs" are artifacts and move on. Unless of course you capture one while not using a flash.

I would half to figure one of the best cameras to not capture dust particals. Would be a Niconus. Its the underwater division of Nicon. There better designed to eliminate particals because water holds more of them in suspension than air.

This topic should be renamed "Dust in photos".

Not all of them. I took shots of beautiful orbs last weekend just like I do every year around Christmas.

I have said this before.. unless there are defined parameters that distinguish what constitutes an "orb" and what is said to be dust/partciles/lense refraction just by simply looking at the picture........they are all "orbs"... or they are all"dust particles/something else"... you can not pick and choose which you want them to be based on a anecdotal story when they are indistinguishable by the naked eye

• Like 1

Not all of them. I took shots of beautiful orbs last weekend just like I do every year around Christmas.

Other particles then. Why around Christmas? Lighting conditions optimum?

• 1 month later...

Personally I feel that 99% of Orb photos are natural occurring ie: dust, condensation, bugs at a distance, light reflection. Though in some instances, where all of the natural, easily explained "natural orbs" are ruled out...something un-explainable is actually happening. With that said though, no matter how much of what you captured you feel is proof, someone will always be there to point out how it's dust, condensation, reflection and just generally be skeptical. I say steer away from Orb photos. I just the same could be said with any photo, but I find it's most prevalent with Orb pictures.

Other particles then. Why around Christmas? Lighting conditions optimum?

I'm guessing either snow or Christmas lights.

dsc0049jv.jpg

dsc0184tu.jpg

• Like 1