Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Environmental satellites are rapidly failing

Saru

The failure of older instruments and the lack of replacements could lead to future 'climate blindness'.

Our eyes around Earth are seeing less. US environmental satellites that helped forecasters predict superstorm Sandy are failing. By 2020, the fleet could have just a quarter of the sensors it has today.

arrow3.gifRead more...

i think it happens because of the activity of the sun

• Like 1

I doubt the sun would only pick one type of satellite to affect.
  • Like 1

It happens because there is no money to replace the older ones, all satellites have a limited life.

• Like 1

Yes, priorities are priorities. We don't need to support our infrastructure, we have many illegitimate and unnecessary wars to wage. Military satellites are OK. We don't need no stinkin' environmental satellites! :cry:

• Like 1

The sun has been startlingly inactive recently.

The sun has been startlingly inactive recently.

Wonder if its getting ready for a big one.

Interestingly enough, the claims of cooling in the troposphere from a few years ago that Little Fish was so excited about, were due to a failure to compensate for orbital decay of the satellites. This was discovered and corrected, but Little Fish's sources still haven't update their propaganda.

Climate satellites are actaully quite cheap compared to others. It isn't the cost that's the problem: it's the efforts of scientific illiterates, like Oklahoma's Inhofe, and their support by BIG OIL (among others) that is preventing deployment (Most of the instrumentation alrwady exists.).

Doug

• Like 1

Well you don't have to worry. A rebutal to this paper will soon be out as this is totally nonsense.

I know for a fact that EOS are lanuching 19 new satelites in the near future.

NOAA got a 7% increase in the budget for new satelites. And I know they are sending 2 up within the next 3-4 years.

Well you don't have to worry. A rebutal to this paper will soon be out as this is totally nonsense.

I know for a fact that EOS are lanuching 19 new satelites in the near future.

NOAA got a 7% increase in the budget for new satelites. And I know they are sending 2 up within the next 3-4 years.

There's also the problem that NASA for some strange reason, prefers big, expensive satellites to small cheaper ones. Don't understand that. Maybe it's got something to do with keeping their technicians employed.

Doug

Quite probably true..

While most are sheilded against X-rays and EM radiation, this year we've had I think about 3 X-class solar flares which bombard them with damaging electro-magnetic radiation.. This damages sensitive electronics..