Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

the vampire murders at ursuline convent 1978

lomochic82

hi there,

i was wondering if someone on the forum had any information that would be able to substantiate whether this is based in fact or legend...

when i was on a tour in new orleans in 2003 i remember hearing a story about 2 tourists down for a paranormal investigation in 1978 setting up a video camera outside the ursuline convent to try and catch a glimpse of the vampires rumored to be nailed in on the 3rd floor of the ursuline convent. the tourists who in most recounts of the tale are women, are abducted, and then later found outside st. mary's church drained of 80% of their blood. their footage found on the camera at the scene of the abduction is indicated as non eventful until someone knocks the camera over around 4am. what happened between 4am and 7am is unknown according to legend...

now a couple of things about this strike me as odd..

the only websites that mention the unsolved murder are ghost and vampire sites...there are no online 'reputable' sources to validate this

also, in some instances, the tourists are interns for a paranormal investigation team...in others, they're male...in another version i heard, they were down for mardi gras and decided to test the lore as a lark....so, given that most lore and legend is based in some semblance of fact, what actually happened and is there anyone who knows if there are actual police or coroner reports available to substantiate these claims that are available to the public? i'll be going back to new orleans in february and i'd like to compile a video travel blog segment on strange and haunted history of new orleans...right now, i'm trying to compile some facts.

if you aren't sure but can point me in the right direction, i'd really appreciate that toosmile.png

• Like 1

I'd have thought that women disappearing and turning up dead in the same place would have become rather quickly a matter of public record via our old friend "police investigation".

And, as we now live in the era of anyone whose cat looks vaguely like someone famous putting it on the net, the fact that this video isn't on YouTube is somewhat odd to say the least.

• Like 3

I believe you have answered your own question.

There are many " true " stories that can only be verified on Paranormal or Bigfoot sites for example.

If you are trully infatuated, and are not happy not finding " real evidence " on the internet about this, contact the New Orleans public records, and / or the New Orleans Police Department/ District Attorney Office and ask them where you can research crimes from the 1970's....Hell, just ask them also.

http://www.nola.gov/GOVERNMENT/NOPD/

http://orleansda.com/

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

there is a way 80% of the blood may be drained from the body;or so i have read from an account of a mom whose son committed suicide as a teenager almost 30 years ago. The boy had become involved in a satanic cult which required for certain rituals the hoof and horns and blood of the cow. The mysterious way the cow was found baffled the investigaters making it a 'UFO' incident. The cow was found drained of all blood plus the horns and hooves sawed clean off. The mom learned from a friend of her son who had miraculously escaped the cult how the coven member had done it. According to the account of the boys witnessing it upon helping in the process they would of course go at night way into the back country of the targeted ranch where the cattle were grazing.They would go when there was thick snow on the ground. They used thick wide sheets of cardboard to walk on so no tracks would be around or near the cow. A heavy traquilizer dart was fired into the big bouvine to bring down first of all. Thats when they would approach leap frogging the 2 cardboard sheets one ahead of each other a few steps at a time. When next to the sedated animal the individual would inject an even stronger med to keep knocked out. Next he would set an IV attached to a very large blood bag to accomadate the size of the enormous creature. The final step was the give the cow a shot of an amphetamine type of drug to speed the heart to pump all the animals blood into the bag. The horns and hooves are easily explained by the use of a sophisticated surgical saw; the same that might be used for open heart operations. This would make absolute sense to me if I could be sure the heart would keep pumping itself to death.However , I have been informed that it is the brain that tells the heart to pump not an involuntary muscle action by chemical inducement.So if the brain is in the course of this process robbed of oxygen from the dispensing of blood would the heart stop pumping as the nerve signal to pump was stopped? When i read this 30 years ago i had no way to check it out and still don't. I work long hours and do not have the time or know where to look.

...quite the well off satanic cult you have there to be able to afford all these surgical tools and medication.

have you ever looked up satanists? I have because I'm nosey. I think you would be pleasantly surprised in the way they practise... they have a code of ethics that in someways is higher than other religion. they believe in no gods, only themselves and their own abilities, they abore cruelty to animals or children, they dont agree with drug use or in breaking the law.

Seriously... im not bigging them up... because im not satanic... they wouldnt accept me anyway because I dont fit the bill... but read about it... its really interesting.

And thats not to say that the people who do do these disgusting rituals involving blood and animals etc dont exist, or dont call them selves satanists, because they may well do so... but read on Anthony Le Vay's Sight and you will see that he explains everything, those people may think to be satanic but actually arent anything to do with the satanic church.

i think, what im trying to say, is that satanists get a bad rep... thanks to freaks who want to kill animals in the name of something unholy.

• Like 2

I was a Junior at Ursuline in New Orleans in 1978. Nothing was mentioned or whispered about vampires anywhere.

Peace,

RadicalGnostic

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Sounds a lot like a ghost story added onto a ghost story with a little hot Vampirism tossed in for good measure. Make the paying tourist wet themselves and want to come back for more.

.....in short, it's marketing to sell tour tickets.

• Like 2

• 4 weeks later...

I am going to take shot in the dark and suggest this story was told

to the o.p. on a vampire tour. .probably lead by " Lord Chaz " ..he would have also been making spanish inquisition jokes....Chaz is quite a fantastic storyteller..

I thought New Orleans vampires just talked people to death, anyway. :P

A long while back, I had run across a video on You Tube that was about a vampire cult and the footage looked legit. Apparently, they had killed several people and done other things that landed them in trouble with the law. The video was police footage of them going through the house/temple, I want to say that it was somewhere in California though, not Louisiana. Everything in the video looked time dated to about the late 70's including the clothes and furniture. Somehow, I lost my history in You Tube and never found that video again. I think they showed some of the "vampires" being led out of there too and they looked pretty normal, although, it was a creepy video, kind of like seeing the inside of the Heaven's Gate place.

A long while back, I had run across a video on You Tube that was about a vampire cult and the footage looked legit. Apparently, they had killed several people and done other things that landed them in trouble with the law. The video was police footage of them going through the house/temple, I want to say that it was somewhere in California though, not Louisiana. Everything in the video looked time dated to about the late 70's including the clothes and furniture. Somehow, I lost my history in You Tube and never found that video again. I think they showed some of the "vampires" being led out of there too and they looked pretty normal, although, it was a creepy video, kind of like seeing the inside of the Heaven's Gate place.

pobs went with the story

• 8 years later...

Anyone who thinks vampires cant exist in today's world has no concept of the supernatural..anyone who believes in any form of the supernatural or paranormal doesn't matter know this. Vampire legends have predated christ as far back as the creation of historical documentation....all the way of up until present times you have MILLIONS ON MILLIONS of missing person reports from all around the world including the homeless, faceless people just disappearing. There are vampire entities prowl every single folklore of every country all over the world..these creations have the ability to evade capture and let alone cover there own tracks, these are supernatural predators something one of mother natures greatest curses. All these vampire cults and wannabe groups dont even touch the surface of whats true in new orleans, the tourism is only designed so people can turn a blind eye to whats really going on in the city..its like hiding something in plan sight...New Orleans is drenched in vampire folklore.....I know for a fact vampires call the city home...all these so called vampire wannabe's make it easy for TRUE immortals to hide mardi gras etc..all of these celebrations and worship of the supernatural makes it VERY easy for a mythological predator to exist. Before your even able to get a word out its too late your dead...or no one would believe your story...so think twice when you say vampires couldnt exist among us if they get you, you CANT tell the story..even if your lucky to get away a vampire has your scent forever and if you survive no one believe your story...its the perfect element of hiding a legend inside of a skeptical mythos. The New Orleans officials/founders wants us to believe ALL this vampire crap and voodoo and ghosts and etc are just apart of the citys charm BUT its ALL real actually...thats the dark truth ALL the legends you hear ARE real..if someone gets killed by a vampire it gets covered up in someway shape or form...Open your mind before you speak, think we live in a world where our own species lies and harms us and keeps secrets don't be surprised vampires the supernatural version exists among us....

• Haha 1

Anything supernatural is bestowed abilities beyond human perception...thus being able to evade capture from authorities or being able to be above human constructs....Again vampires are beyond human its there nature to keep there exist a secret unless someone finds a way too seek them out IF they are real...thats the golden question if vampire's are real WHERE are they??? New Orleans??? are they everywhere or do they NOT exist..I choose to believe in vampire's...there are far too many people in todays time and even over the centuries ALL the unknown people could have been killed by a supernatural being such as a vampire could be possible none of us were around back then to even know and first of all we dont know the first thing about how to track a vampire in our reality we dont know how they look..I believe they look like us but there not like us at ALL. what seperates them from us is there immortality there supernatural/preternatural abilities and most of all there craving for blood all of there senses and abilities that help them survive and evade human interference of there existence...No one would know anything so no one should have an opinion of vampires no one's ready to have that conversation yet...no one yes there are many natural causes of missing persons reports and cold cases but the chance that many of the unknown faceless people who have just been snatched up and disappeared could be linked to modern & ancient vampire legends think about it , its like tracking an animal but this is on a far different scale....something that can smell you and hear your heart beat hear you coming from miles....so we cant even percieve to know what were dealing with....vampires DO exist....skinwalkers DO exist....Rougarou (werewolves) DO exist....Windigos DO exist....Shapeshifters DO exist...most of the supernatural crap you see is covered up by layers of hysteria and manipulation and distractions and other forms of brain washing....unless your lucky enough to have a supernatural experience...God forbid you run into a supernatural predator such a vampire or werewolf or any form of a supernatural sentient being...THEY EXIST AMONG US THEY DO....anyone with half a brain should know there are no such things as coincidences there are FAR TOO MANY missing persons reports and cold cases to dismiss the existence of a being like a vampire when they feed on humans , were there food source....there ultimate predators...I'm saying open your mind don't let movies and shows tell you these beings only exist in the figment of hollywood your smarter than that.....think of the amount of people that have gone missing in the world and think of how long the legends have been around and look into places that have DEEP vampire legends look into certain things that fit a certain criteria...that give off paranormal vibes...If cover ups exist and just imagine how cut throat operation blue book is think about how hush hush that is the UFO crap now just imagine the vampire legend anyone aware of there existence would probably be a small number of people or a family a powerful one in fact...who knows.....someone knows something......human crimes and humans with mental illness committing vampiric/saguinated crimes ALL blend into supernatural crimes because its easy to cover up and brush off when NO ONE believes in such things anymore or people know but they turn a blind eye......we'll never know...that goes for all supernatural creatures being beyond human able to come and go as please kill whoever and disappear because they have the ability to do so.....vampire legends are very prominent connecticut, rhode island, virginia , canada and new orleans. Again there FAR TOO MANY people who have gone missing and have not been found to rule out the existence of vampires. open your mind and your eyes...

• Haha 1

Go investigate places that have DEEP rooted vampire lore and missing persons reports. Remember be able to judge hoax from fact..its very easy to fake something or have it be someone with mental illness so you'll have to find someone who knows anything about the TRUE reality of the supernatural.. 

Edited by Impala56
  • Haha 1

Redacted.

Edited by onlookerofmayhem
Clarity

On 4/27/2022 at 7:49 AM, Impala56 said:

Anyone who thinks vampires cant exist in today's world has no concept of the supernatural..anyone who believes in any form of the supernatural or paranormal doesn't matter know this. Vampire legends have predated christ as far back as the creation of historical documentation....all the way of up until present times you have MILLIONS ON MILLIONS of missing person reports from all around the world including the homeless, faceless people just disappearing. There are vampire entities prowl every single folklore of every country all over the world..these creations have the ability to evade capture and let alone cover there own tracks, these are supernatural predators something one of mother natures greatest curses. All these vampire cults and wannabe groups dont even touch the surface of whats true in new orleans, the tourism is only designed so people can turn a blind eye to whats really going on in the city..its like hiding something in plan sight...New Orleans is drenched in vampire folklore.....I know for a fact vampires call the city home...all these so called vampire wannabe's make it easy for TRUE immortals to hide mardi gras etc..all of these celebrations and worship of the supernatural makes it VERY easy for a mythological predator to exist. Before your even able to get a word out its too late your dead...or no one would believe your story...so think twice when you say vampires couldnt exist among us if they get you, you CANT tell the story..even if your lucky to get away a vampire has your scent forever and if you survive no one believe your story...its the perfect element of hiding a legend inside of a skeptical mythos. The New Orleans officials/founders wants us to believe ALL this vampire crap and voodoo and ghosts and etc are just apart of the citys charm BUT its ALL real actually...thats the dark truth ALL the legends you hear ARE real..if someone gets killed by a vampire it gets covered up in someway shape or form...Open your mind before you speak, think we live in a world where our own species lies and harms us and keeps secrets don't be surprised vampires the supernatural version exists among us....

Did, did you check the date? 

Threads a decade old. Lazarus would even be jealous. 

• Haha 2

• 6 months later...

Two paranormal YouTube channel did a entire show on Vampyres in NOLA (New Orleans):

- Paranormal Round Table
  EP33 Vampire Encounters

- Destination America
Vampire Encounter | Monsters and Mysteries in America. 

New Orleans Vampires: History and Legend is a 2017 book, written by Marita Woywod Crandle, which focuses on three urban legends (The Casket Girls, The Comte St. Germain and The Carter Brothers) and separates the facts from the fiction.
I enjoyed the ending of Marita's book.
She mentions back to her first Boutique Du Vampyre location, near the Saint Cathedral Church, where she encounters in a strange customer with his cane she presumed to be a vampyre. That part gave me chills and helps keep the faith and hope for all us believers out there.

Oh, I almost forgot these two alleged encounters:

"Weird incident I heard about from my ex wife

I cannot remember the last time I talked to her, its been a fairly long time, so I was surprised to see her on my caller ID, Turns out, the only reason she called me was because she thought I may be interested to hear about an incident that happened to her nephews wife recently. His wife and his brothers family went to New Orleans for a long weekend, Her nephew is a pilot in the Air Force and was not with them, they were at a restaurant and nephews wife (Angie), ran out during the meal to get something out of the car, she was going to come right back in, the others waited for a little while and then got worried so his brothers wife, went out to see if she was OK, ( I cannot remember his brothers wifes name)...this is where it gets weird... she went out and walked toward their car, she saw that some guy was talking to Angie as they stood beside the car, apparently she called her name a couple times, to see whats going on, and Angie didnt answer, as she got closer, she said this guy was leaning in towards Angie, (sort of like he was going to hug her)...as she got to the car, she saw the guys face and mouth open...she says he had a row of 'jagged sharp teeth, that were conical in shape, and as soon as saw this, and was right next to them, the guy shoots up straight into the air and disappears. Angie does not remember any of this though, the last thing she remembered was walking out to the car, and then seeing 'brothers wife' standing next to her. After seeing Angie in such a confused state, the other wife decides to call police, just to be safe, ( ex wife assumed she thought Angie may been slipped a drug or something), the police get there and they are explaining what happened, the cops ask if this guy was tall, and if he had amber colored eyes....other wife says YES, that is the guy...supposedly the 2 cops told them this guy was a real vampire! Ex wife says they didnt really believe the cops, but they did start talking to more people in the area and they claim this is a known thing within New Orleans, (not talking about the 'psychic vampires' or kids who file their teeth down and dress in goth... real, as in having fang like teeth, and supernatural abilities). I do know both of these ladies, Angie is a elementary school teacher, their marriage is a good one, they are very happy together, the other brothers wife still works in IT I assume. Surprisingly, when I was married to my ex wife and we visited her family, they all thought I was crazy (for some of my beliefs, (UFOs, Bigfoot...didnt know about Dogman then!), NONE of them believed in any of this stuff, its very odd to hear such a story involving those two I didnt know what to think of this, Im not surprised my ex wife contacted me to tell me the story though, she is well aware that I like things like this, I did tell her, that I didnt think I had ever heard a 'real vampire' encounter before. Im probably not going to contact the two ladies to inquire further about this, its been years since Ive talked to them, if they told my ex wife that is what happened, I will take her word for it...it doesnt mean I believe it though."

http://www.city-data.com/forum/unexplained-mysteries-paranormal/3166484-weird-incident-i-heard-about-my.html

"Basically in 2001 I was 14. Went to Nola for my birthday. I was a fan of Anne rice and absolutely in love with vampires. Last night there I went to the riverwalk and felt like someone was watching me. I got freaked out and both my dad and I left to head back to the hotel.

Driving out of the french quarter we both spotted a man walking so fast his coat was flaring up. He was well dressed, long hair tied back in a low ponytail. He didn't look like he was dressed for summer or for the time period.

My dad made a small joke he was a vampire and as we sped up to get a closer look, the guy smiled down at me. I instantly got a eerie feeling and started to panic telling my dad to please not stop. The guy crossed behind us and to both of our shock..just flew upwards.

My dad stopped. Cursing. Whipping the car around. We both were looking for him. The guy just disappeared.

My dad and I got to the hotel, we rode all the way in silence. He is not religious, or does he believe in the supernatural. We both saw the same thing, his body shooting straight up into the air.

He and I sometimes talk about it. He still isn't sure what happened, and he says its the weirdest thing he's seen. Same for me.

The guy's face was so scary. I'm not sure how to discribe the feeling of doom I had. Like I was prey. His face was pale but his eyes were glowing, and he locked eyes and smiled at me. Still gives me chills when I think of it

Was he a ghost? A vampire? Was he the one I felt at the riverwalk?"

https://www.reddit.com/r/vampires/comments/o4a1rw/okso_does_anyone_in_here_actually_believe_in/

https://youtu.be/gEuTxBijf9w

Also, I heard that "a friend of mine just told me a story today about his experience in a vampire bar in new orleans. I don't know what street, I didn't want to ask any questions. But his story was so interesting. Him and his friends saw a man come out from behind a large poster, hung on a wall in a dark alley. First they thought the man had just walked through the wall, so they went over to the poster to investigate. They lifted the poster which was hiding the entrance to this bar. It wasn't a bar at first though. They had to walk into this building for a bit, and I think he said something about going over a bridge. Finally they came to the room where there was this bar. It was dark, and everyone turned and looked at them slowly, all at the same time. They left right away when they realized it was a vampire bar."

Edited by Suiren
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

• 2 weeks later...

Cue up concrete blonde bloodletting and fade it into bauhaus bela lugosi dead....

On 11/10/2012 at 2:07 PM, Sir Wearer of Hats said:

I'd have thought that women disappearing and turning up dead in the same place would have become rather quickly a matter of public record via our old friend "police investigation".

And, as we now live in the era of anyone whose cat looks vaguely like someone famous putting it on the net, the fact that this video isn't on YouTube is somewhat odd to say the least.

Well, in 1978 there wasn't internet except with the military so that isn't it.   But if it did happen there would be newspaper stories.   My suspicion is that it is an urban legend, especially since the story is different depending on who is telling it.   It didn't happen @Suiren.   Welcome to the forum.   

On 11/20/2013 at 1:54 AM, Celestae said:

have you ever looked up satanists? I have because I'm nosey. I think you would be pleasantly surprised in the way they practise... they have a code of ethics that in someways is higher than other religion. they believe in no gods, only themselves and their own abilities, they abore cruelty to animals or children, they dont agree with drug use or in breaking the law.

Seriously... im not bigging them up... because im not satanic... they wouldnt accept me anyway because I dont fit the bill... but read about it... its really interesting.

And thats not to say that the people who do do these disgusting rituals involving blood and animals etc dont exist, or dont call them selves satanists, because they may well do so... but read on Anthony Le Vay's Sight and you will see that he explains everything, those people may think to be satanic but actually arent anything to do with the satanic church.

i think, what im trying to say, is that satanists get a bad rep... thanks to freaks who want to kill animals in the name of something unholy.

I always thought the real satanists were the bible thumpers who proclaimed at every opportunity that anything and everything is the work of the devil (giving satan all the power, instead of their god).

• Like 1