Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Name That Creature

Night Walker

It certainly looks like a cat, is that a chip in the glass as well, or a leaf flying past at an inopportune moment?

I even thought, later, could it be a Tasmanian Devil? You are in Australia.

But their tails don't seem to arch upward like that or are that long?

And the legs appear too long too?

And, can't tell if I'm seeing enough of the nose either (dog-like for Devil or flat for cat)?

I even thought, later, could it be a Tasmanian Devil? You are in Australia.

But their tails don't seem to arch upward like that or are that long?

And the legs appear too long too?

And, can't tell if I'm seeing enough of the nose either (dog-like for Devil or flat for cat)?

This is good. Although we are all pretty unanimous that the creature in the image is just a cat the original witnesses were positive that although the animal was cat-sized it definitely was something else (ie not a cat). I will post all the details on Friday but in the meantime how about speculating about what the animal could be (location: mainland Australia). Why did the witnesses not see what we all see?

Engage with your inner crypto-eye. What can you see if not a cat?

It's just a cat....

Actually it is not just a cat. It is a Blurry Cat!! :whistle::w00t:

Does that make it a... BlobCat?? LOL!!

That genuinely made me laugh. LOL :tu:

Engage with your inner crypto-eye. What can you see if not a cat?

I would say the legs are too long for a Devil.

Could also be a crow picking up some roadkill, possibly a Lizard (not a chip but a Gekko like tail), but you have to squint your eye a lot, a Pot Hole or Little Foot.

Littlefoot_300.gif

But moggie looks the best bet.

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 1

I'm stumped, NW.

It's those white feet, too long legs and tail that appears furry but not bushy that eliminates animals (except cat) for me.

Now if I dig into my inner crypto-eye... and turn the animal end for end... I got a wingless 4-legged black swan with a lot of junk in the trunk.

The name of which, eludes me at the moment ;) .

But I'll be baaack.

How about the elusive long tailed koala?

Then again it could be the much rumored and seldom mentioned quadrupedal road wallaby.

It's possible it might be the rare and never photographed billess land platypus.

Or my personal favorite; Tasmanian tiger pup.

How about the elusive long tailed koala?

Then again it could be the much rumored and seldom mentioned quadrupedal road wallaby.

It's possible it might be the rare and never photographed billess land platypus.

Or my personal favorite; Tasmanian tiger pup.

Gidday Evan

Drop Bear :)

11.jpg

Edited by psyche101
  • Like 2

I am with the overwhelming consensus.. it is a cat. my question to the OP.. is if the creature was never identified.. what other information could there be to post? guess we will have to wait a few more days eh.

Maybe after it is captured by Animal Control and adopted by a 75 year old lady, it can finally be confirmed as a cat?

• Like 1

Gidday Evan

Drop Bear :)

11.jpg

:lol: :lol:

Hey psyche, good to to hear from you again. I thought you were MIA.

Cant believe I didn't think of the drop bear. The only problem with that is I don't see any near by trees.

What do you think about a baby bunyip?

I think he's been hanging out in the Aliens Forum too much. :alien: :alien:

:lol: :lol:

Cant believe I didn't think of the drop bear. The only problem with that is I don't see any near by trees.

What do you think about a baby bunyip?

Gidday Mate

DC Caught me out, I have been playing with the UFO people ;) Some good guys in that bunch, and some.............. not so good.

Good catch, but it might be escaping a Vegemite Molotov Cocktail I was thinking. But a baby Bunyip, now I cannot believe I did not think of that one! Awesome! Nailed it!

bunyip.gif

I think he's been hanging out in the Aliens Forum too much. :alien: :alien:

With some of the things I have seen people say recently, I think you are right. Too much :lol:

Edited by psyche101

namethatcreature.jpg

The image above, taken from secrurity camera footage, caused quite a stir in the local community when it was released and even prompted questions from government officials. What is it?

Further details (where, when, etc) will be provided in a week or so but in the meantime I am interested in opinions, first impressions, and more detailed analyses from UM members. There are no right or wrong answers as this case was never solved so please feel free to speculate on what you think it is and why...

:blink: A cat? I think they sell food for it at a pet store,Heard they Like to eat mice and birds,can be called with a simple "Here Kitty Kitty",they might also "Purr" when petted. :P

namethatcreature.jpg

The image above, taken from secrurity camera footage, caused quite a stir in the local community when it was released and even prompted questions from government officials. What is it?

Further details (where, when, etc) will be provided in a week or so but in the meantime I am interested in opinions, first impressions, and more detailed analyses from UM members. There are no right or wrong answers as this case was never solved so please feel free to speculate on what you think it is and why...

It looks like a chubby black cat with white feet.

I'm curious as to what about the photo caused such a stir. Is there an article we can refer to? Or see the original video perhaps?

Did the lack of visible feet cause the stir? It seems like heat waves could be distorting the area where the little feet should be.

I'm just so curious now... :)

Edited by Lava_Lady

It definitely looks like a common house cat. I find it quite amusing that this has caused a stir, especially how it "prompted questions from government officials".

On February 5, 2010, the Northern Territory environment department released a statement which was reported by ABC News:

"A bus driver and other witnesses spotted the monkey at 9.45am this morning in front of a bus that was travelling on Henbury Avenue near the Lyons Estate," the department said in a media release.

They have warned people to stay clear of the animal.

"Monkeys can be aggressive and bite," the department said. "It's not known where the monkey has come from therefore as a public health and safety precaution we urge all members of the public to be cautious."

The department said monkeys are a restricted species in the Northern Territory and can only be kept with the relevant permits.

Parks and Wildlife director Graham Phelps says the monkey was probably brought to the Northern Territory illegally. "Any monkey that's in the Northern Territory should legally have a permit and we'd know where it is and whose it is," he said. "The only institution in the Territory that's got a permit to hold monkeys is Crocodylus Park and they've assured us that they've got all their monkeys at the moment so no, we don't know where this one's come from."

On February 9 CCTV footage of the incident taken from the bus was released:

darwinmonkeyr.jpg

When asked for a description Graham Phelps said "a small monkey, with a white face."

Shortly after the sighting Parks and Wildlife staff door knocked the area hoping someone could help them track down the origins of the monkey.

After a weekend of a hotline operating, Graham Phelps was asked if there were any sightings reported, "no more sightings. I'm not sure if it's a mis-identification, I'm becoming a bit suspicious after a few days without sightings." Asked if he was surprised he said "I am a bit, we took it quite seriously, the witnesses were credible, we would have thought others might have seen it - all we can do now is wait for a decent sighting and go out and catch it if we can."

The "inter-field" movement from the television frames was removed resulting in a clearer picture (see original post or http://www.abc.net.a...htm?site=darwin).

In the footage the creature flashes up for a brief moment before someone can be heard saying "That was a monkey, wasn't it?".

The driver of the bus, Geoff Ryan, said he had no doubt it was a monkey, as did passenger Jock Baker. "I was right at the front and saw it. It was about the size of a cat,'' Mr Baker said. ''It was definitely a monkey."

It was also reported that the last monkey sighting in Darwin was about 15 years ago at Casuarina beach by a vet, but the animal was never found.

Nothing more is reported about the alleged monkey until more than 3 months later in a Senate estimates hearing yesterday questioning biosecurity

authorities about several recent incursions:

Senator Milne then turned to reports an Indonesian macaque had been spotted roaming the streets of Darwin's north.

"Can someone explain how we had one of the Indonesian macaques wandering the streets of Darwin ... and what are we doing about talking to the Indonesian authorities about the likely spread of those into northern Australia," she asked.

The Northern Territory's environment department issued a public warning in February when a bus driver and his passengers saw the creature scurry across the road.

Geoff Ryan said he saw the monkey run across Henbury Ave from the new suburb of Lyons and in to a house yard in Tiwi. "The front legs were shorter and it had a really long curly tail," Mr Ryan said when questioned on how he determined it wasn't a cat or possum. "Its tail was sticking straight up with a hook on the end like a walking stick," he said.

The department said the monkey could bite and posed a health risk, and there was speculation it had been brought into Australia illegally. It later released CCTV footage of the animal.

But Australian Quarantine and Inspection Service deputy secretary Rona Mellor said authorities never got to the bottom of the story.

"We saw a range of media (reports) about that but I don't have evidence that it actually occurred," she said.

Senator Milne said she intended trying to confirm the reports.

Articles:

http://www.abc.net.a...streets/2587296

http://www.abc.net.a...htm?site=darwin

http://www.abc.net.a...htm?site=darwin

http://www.ntnews.co...251_ntnews.html

http://www.courierma...6-1225828784157

http://www.ntnews.co...381_ntnews.html

And this is where the story ends.

Multiple witnesses described as being "credible" and were confident in what they saw. Parks and Wildlife staff doorknocking to find further information. Environment Department issues public warning. The issue raised at a Senate estimates hearing on biosecurity. On the surface it sounds very impressive and then there is the evidence...

Much ado over a cat?

How could things get so far?

So it seems the mystery creature is not a cryptid at all. It was either an introduced species (cat), or an escaped/released species (monkey).

• Like 1

It's obviously a hyrax imitating some monkey-cat creature.

• Like 1

It's of my expert opinion that this creature, is not a cat or even a monkey but, happens to be none othern than a Sasquatch.

Well I was going to say a cat, or pushing the boat out a little a small monkey (general gait is about right) but it's pretty much already been proved as such.

Oh wait, I just DID.

NW, hmmm. Witnesses say a monkey? Well, I have cat stuck on the brain and didn't see monkeys under Australia animals when I searched, so never even thought of that.

However, I had noticed in the OP, something a tad odd about the stance, body posture of the animal for a cat, but dismissed it.

But, for me, it is all about the blurry photo. Which almost always tells me somebody's monkeying around.

• Like 1