Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

Name That Creature

Night Walker

This monkey reminded me of when my parents went to Hawaii in the seventies and ended up talking with the "Monkees" at the airport bar. They got a picture of two of them, Peter and Micky. Guess what? It was blurry! While I believed my parents 100%, I couldn't use the photo to prove the event to my friends or show off. And for a teen 70's girl that was a real bummer. lol

Edited by QuiteContrary

NW, hmmm. Witnesses say a monkey? Well, I have cat stuck on the brain and didn't see monkeys under Australia animals when I searched, so never even thought of that.

However, I had noticed in the OP, something a tad odd about the stance, body posture of the animal for a cat, but dismissed it.

But, for me, it is all about the blurry photo. Which almost always tells me somebody's monkeying around.

They're not native to Australia no, but that doesn't mean you willnae find 'em ;) For example there have been wallabies hopping around the Scottish countryside in one particular county. Why? Well let's just say that there was an Aussie resturaunt that had some adventurous pets :)

So it seems the mystery creature is not a cryptid at all. It was either an introduced species (cat), or an escaped/released species (monkey).

A monkey huh? I think you are right, only because the people on the bus who IDed it knew what it was immediately, it never needed to be identified. What it was, was never really in doubt by the local authorities.

Looking at the picture again, I'm surprised no one noticed that the shadow looks like it is of a liquor bottle.

However, I had noticed in the OP, something a tad odd about the stance, body posture of the animal for a cat, but dismissed it.

Perhaps the witnesses, too, saw something odd/ambiguous about stance/posture/gait of the cat that made them think "not cat" and then perceived it to be a "monkey". It is similar to the recent "Essex Lion" case which resulted in an intensive police search when 6 people saw a house cat across a field but perceived it to be a lion or some lion-sized cat. What is triggering that response?

Could cases like the "Darwin Monkey" and "Essex Lion", in which the objective evidence is at odds with the subjective evidence, account for other alleged sightings of cryptids and out-of-place-animals in which there is no objective evidence?

Are such misperceptions more common than they are usually considered to be?

As we are continually taught from a young age to trust our senses, could our (misplaced) confidence in our own perceptions and experiences contribute to the discrepancies between what we perceive/experience and what is actually there?

After all, when it comes to cryptids and out-of-place-animals, many witnesses are certain they know what they saw and that alone can be very compelling...

As like 99.99999% of others on here, I would say its a cat.

Now we know whats on the road, I would like to know what the OP is on?

As like 99.99999% of others on here, I would say its a cat.

Now we know whats on the road, I would like to know what the OP is on?

PCP? :td:

PCP? :td:

Embalming fluid? i asked what they were on, not in.

• 2 weeks later...

It's a cat. With white paws.

....Isn't that a cat?

namethatcreature.jpg

The image above, taken from secrurity camera footage, caused quite a stir in the local community when it was released and even prompted questions from government officials. What is it?

Further details (where, when, etc) will be provided in a week or so but in the meantime I am interested in opinions, first impressions, and more detailed analyses from UM members. There are no right or wrong answers as this case was never solved so please feel free to speculate on what you think it is and why...

Cat,Monkey,Cat in a Monkey suit. Whatever it is.

It's going to be roadkill soon and end up on somebody's plate.

Could the curiosity stem from the fact that's the last place you expect to see a cat.

And monkeys prefer swinging from branch to branch not road to road.

Edited by Walnut Whip

the tail doesn't look right for a cat , the head seems disproportionately large for a cat, and the front and back legs seem too close together for a cat... so i'm going with monkey. Or it's a funny looking cat.

I know official Sources say a Monkey, and there is a lack of spots (rare coat maybe?) but could a bus-full of tourists mistake a Quoll?

quoll3.jpg

I know official Sources say a Monkey, and there is a lack of spots (rare coat maybe?) but could a bus-full of tourists mistake a Quoll?

quoll3.jpg

Not unless they know rare,endangered marsupials.

And there's not many people know outside Australisia.

So you can safely say I'm one of those in the dark.

I'm glad somebody has realised what has been staring them in the face all this time.

The actual location of the sighting.

Edited by Walnut Whip