Join the Unexplained Mysteries community today! It's free and setting up an account only takes a moment.
- Sign In or Create Account -

The Madagascan Man-Eating Tree

Still Waters

When the Venus flytrap Dionaea muscipula was first made known to botanists in the 1760s, they would not believe that it could actually catch and consume insects - until living specimens were observed in action.

Moreover, reports have also emerged from several remote regions of the world concerning horrifying carnivorous plants that can ensnare and devour creatures as large as birds, dogs, and monkeys - and sometimes even humans!

http://karlshuker.bl...-tree-more.html

• Like 1

Gotta love how the gratuitous boobage in the first drawing.

When you can't dazzle them with an actual specimen of a plant that ate a human - make sure to distract them with breasts.

• Like 4

Well, that's not going to make it into any cutesy animated film, is it.

Thats one weird looking man....i would be more inclind to investicate the man with boobs, for more interesting!!! before looking at the man eating tree.

• Like 3

I recall reading this story before, I doubt theres any truth to it and I thought the biggest animal a plant could eat was at most a rat. Interesting though ever see the movie The Ruins :w00t:

• Like 1

That's just what this world needs, man-eating trees.

Maybe we can gift those trees to al-Qaeda training camps. :passifier:

I wonder what show they're going to bump on TV for...Mystery of the Man-eating Trees series...excuse my while I pull out some nose hairs...

When the Venus flytrap Dionaea muscipula was first made known to botanists in the 1760s, they would not believe that it could actually catch and consume insects - until living specimens were observed in action.

Moreover, reports have also emerged from several remote regions of the world concerning horrifying carnivorous plants that can ensnare and devour creatures as large as birds, dogs, and monkeys - and sometimes even humans!

http://karlshuker.bl...-tree-more.html

Total hoax!

As a collector, I have about a thousand plants at my house, many from Madagascar. Not only does this species not exist, the genus doesn't exist either. If this plant actually existed, it would be a well known plant and places like the Huntington Botanical Gardens in southern California, and the Kew Gardens in London would have one in their collections.

http://www.museumofh...e_of_madagascar

Total hoax!

As a collector, I have about a thousand plants at my house, many from Madagascar. Not only does this species not exist, the genus doesn't exist either. If this plant actually existed, it would be a well known plant and places like the Huntington Botanical Gardens in southern California, and the Kew Gardens in London would have one in their collections.

Sounds awesome. All different or do you have a preference in your collection? Tell us about it. Any pics?

Just watch out for fast growing hungry one in the corner. :P

Sounds awesome. All different or do you have a preference in your collection? Tell us about it. Any pics?

Just watch out for fast growing hungry one in the corner. :P

Mostly all different. Look up my screen name in Google images. Euphorbia is just one of many genera from the succulent world and one of my favorites. I have about 60 different species of Euphorbia alone......

BTW, the plant everyone knows as Poinsettia is actually Euphorbia pulcherrima.

Total hoax!

Indeed. some plants however do consume small mammals such as rats. I was pretty surprised at that. A man eating tree is quite a step up though.

Do you have any pictures of your garden online? Quite a green thumb myself, so I like to think. I'd love to have a look at your garden.

When you can't dazzle them with an actual specimen of a plant that ate a human - make sure to distract them with breasts.

And that wins. Every time. :tu:

• Like 1

I recall reading this story before, I doubt theres any truth to it and I thought the biggest animal a plant could eat was at most a rat. Interesting though ever see the movie The Ruins :w00t:

Movies good, book is much better. The movie goes to show it can be a vine instead of one BIG plant.. :unsure2: